View Diary: Innocent Chechen Refugees, Used as Pawns, Then and Now (a history lesson) (52 comments)

•  I found your (0+ / 0-)

characterization of Americans to be a bit hyperbolic myself. Does that make me "one of those people" too?

"A lie is not the other side of a story; it's just a lie."

by happy camper on Thu Apr 25, 2013 at 07:26:37 AM PDT

•  Only you know. / (1+ / 0-)
      shaharazade

There is no existence without doubt.

by Mark Lippman on Thu Apr 25, 2013 at 08:07:14 AM PDT

•  You tell me... (0+ / 0-)

Does not thinking Americans are all hateful bigots make me a bigot? If I don't agree that Americans are "not normal humans" am I wrong? You made these broad brush statements. Do you stand by them?

"A lie is not the other side of a story; it's just a lie."

by happy camper on Fri Apr 26, 2013 at 07:13:58 AM PDT

•  I'm an American too. (0+ / 0-)

I hate to think that my writing needs an instruction manual.  It says no blame and no excuses right near the top.  It's an invitation for each reader to reflect on himself.

If a Muslim commits an act of violence, I hear peope say Muslims are violent.  If an American commits an act of violence, does it mean Americans are violent.  No.  Of course not.  If an American makes a bigoted statement, does it mean all Americans are bigoted?  Again, no.

The piece is about the way we apply labels to others as we try to understand them but we don't look at ourselves the same way.  We're very nuanced and forgiving of ourselves.  We have reasons and justifications.  We're righteous and entitled.  I think all people see themselves that way, more or less.  But let's not think about others for a moment.  What if we considered other people as generously and forgiving as we are to ourselves?  In a sense, the opposite of bigotry.  The realization that other people aren't different, they're the same.

What I'm saying has been around for a couple of thousand years.  It's not a new idea.  A lot of Americans even claim a nominal allegiance to this kind of thought.

There is no existence without doubt.

by Mark Lippman on Fri Apr 26, 2013 at 12:26:45 PM PDT

•  Well... (0+ / 0-)

if you're trying to encourage people to reflect on themselves by saying this

the generous hosts turned out to be hateful bigots little better than the ones left behind
            and this
            If Americans could feel the suffering of other people, and if they reacted the way that normal humans do when another suffers
            you're doing it wrong. It makes you sound like a stereotype, with the "America is eeevil" tone that the right loves to attribute to us. I do understand what you're saying, but your rather smug dismissal of heybuddy's criticism struck me the wrong way. He has a valid point.

"A lie is not the other side of a story; it's just a lie."

by happy camper on Sat Apr 27, 2013 at 06:22:06 AM PDT

•  I am holding out my hand to you like a sibling and (0+ / 0-)

I am no better or worse than anyone.  I don't hear anyone saying what I've said and I think that gives it value.  I'm taking the risk of preaching in a way and that's what it sounds like sometimes, no matter who does it.  Either it rings true, or false.  If people didn't listen to someone say "Judge not" 2000 years ago, they surely won't listen to the likes of me.  But I'm just that foolish to say it anyway.
              You can think of me as a friend.  It's up to you.

There is no existence without doubt.

by Mark Lippman on Sat Apr 27, 2013 at 01:48:56 PM PDT