View Diary: Bush Presidential Library Has an Annex at Guantanamo (46 comments)

•  Yeah. (4+ / 0-)

I know it's fun to say Bush owns Gitmo. But pretty soon, Obama will have operated it longer than Bush did. Maybe we should back off the whole "put them in jail" meme unless we want that to apply to our guys too.

I'm afraid that my signature won't match the mood of my comment.

by heybuddy on Fri Apr 26, 2013 at 07:04:21 AM PDT

•  I think it should apply to EVERYONE. n/t (8+ / 0-)

What is truth? -- Pontius Pilate

by commonmass on Fri Apr 26, 2013 at 07:09:04 AM PDT

•  I kind of trust Obama. (0+ / 0-)

I really believe he wants to close gizmo.

But he can't. There are realities that must be considered.

You know, I used to believe that old myth that Detroit had a secret engine design that would allow 500 miles to a gallon or something, and that it was kept secret to protect the oil industry.

Well, guess what. It was a myth. You know how I know? because I know Obama. It wouldn't be a secret right now if it actually existed. A lot of my worldview changed after Obama was elected. The things he does that are the same as republicans... might just be the only way to do them, despite what we, or he, may have said about them prior.

I'm afraid that my signature won't match the mood of my comment.

by heybuddy on Fri Apr 26, 2013 at 07:29:26 AM PDT

•  you know Obama? Personally? he tells you (5+ / 0-)

what he wants to do about GTMO?

There are moments when the body is as numinous as words, days that are the good flesh continuing. -- Robert Hass

by srkp23 on Fri Apr 26, 2013 at 07:46:57 AM PDT

•  Face palm. n/t (3+ / 0-)

Information is the currency of democracy. ~Thomas Jefferson

by CIndyCasella on Fri Apr 26, 2013 at 08:17:42 AM PDT

•  so Obama is expanding GITMO because he wants to (1+ / 0-)
          BradyB

close it?

On October 4, 2012 Department of Defense awarded Harry Pepper and Associates, Inc., Innovative Technical Solutions, Inc., Island Mechanical Contractor, Inc., J2-Pennoni, P and S Construction, Inc., Ratcliff Construction, Inc. awarded a firm-fixed-price $95 million dollar contract for new construction, renovation, alteration, demolition and repair work including industrial, airfield, aircraft hangar, aircraft traffic control, infrastructure, administrative, training, retail, food service, dormitory, community support facilities in Navel Station -Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.  The term of the contract is not to exceed 60 months, with an expected completion date of September 2017.
          (emphasis mine) http://www.your-poc.com/...

without the ants the rainforest dies

by aliasalias on Fri Apr 26, 2013 at 01:07:39 PM PDT

•  He wanted to close it. (0+ / 0-)

I guess is the distinction. He wanted to close it, I think the first thing he did was order it closed within a year or something, but someone showed him some stuff that convinced him to keep it open.

It was a pretty embarrassing reversal, and he was mocked by both sides. I completely believe he wished he could close it, but he obviously didn't know then what he knows now. I'm nobody's lawyer, so I can't explain, other than to point out the fact that he paid a big price to reverse himself... he is obviously convinced that gitmo is more important than one of his main campaign promises.

I'm afraid that my signature won't match the mood of my comment.

by heybuddy on Fri Apr 26, 2013 at 05:45:33 PM PDT

•  Justice is blind; correction: was blind (5+ / 0-)

Apparently, blind justice is one of those quaint concepts, like the Constitution, that our magnificent leaders have jettisoned in the name of counter-terrorism.  That the lack of justice might itself be terrifying seems irrelevant to them.

•  Justice is controlled, just as information is (4+ / 0-)
          commonmass, Deep Harm, NonnyO, aliasalias

controlled by the same people who torture in our name.

Information is the currency of democracy. ~Thomas Jefferson

by CIndyCasella on Fri Apr 26, 2013 at 08:19:14 AM PDT

•  Justice is NOT blind... (1+ / 0-)
          aliasalias

Lady Justice is blindfolded - at least in modern iconography.  In older art work she is not blindfolded.

I'm willing to remove the blindfold so she can keep the scales of Justice and the Sword of Justice in either hand, but I'd rather she have the blindfold off so she can see what willful blindness and willful ignorance can do to people, as well as be able to watch the faces and body language of the liars since they have 'tells' that let the observer know when they're lying.

by NonnyO on Fri Apr 26, 2013 at 09:58:07 AM PDT

•  To think how many times the letters (1+ / 0-)
        NonnyO

IOKIYAR have been typed here...can they not see the irony?

"Today is who you are" - my wife

by I Lurked For Years on Fri Apr 26, 2013 at 08:26:19 AM PDT