View Diary: Three keys for background checks round two: Simple, fair and universal (229 comments)

•  In DC, it's $150. nt (1+ / 0-)
    jeff in nyc

Republicans cause more damage than guns ever will. Share Our Wealth

by KVoimakas on Fri Apr 26, 2013 at 01:25:48 PM PDT

•  Is that set by the district? n/t (1+ / 0-)
      Glen The Plumber

by Meteor Blades on Fri Apr 26, 2013 at 02:09:37 PM PDT

•  I don't know. nt (0+ / 0-)

Republicans cause more damage than guns ever will. Share Our Wealth

by KVoimakas on Fri Apr 26, 2013 at 02:40:02 PM PDT

•  If there's any competition between... (3+ / 0-)

...FFLs, I would think that price would drop. But if it's a legally set fee, then, obviously, buyers are stuck with it.

by Meteor Blades on Fri Apr 26, 2013 at 03:00:11 PM PDT

•  Yeah, you have fun with that thought. (1+ / 0-)
            KVoimakas

It's a captive audience scenario. Just like regional monopolies exist within health care, and that raises prices... Just like there is regional monopolies within other utilities such as privately owned water companies, cable companies, phone companies, and so on.

You might think that there could be competition between various gun shops for those very few dollars per transaction, but that only holds if you don't consider the intrinsic costs that act as a barrier to entry of new competitors.

New competitors might include a bunch of what are/were called "kitchen table" gun shops, people who are federally licensed dealers without a dedicated storefront, except that group of people have been getting squeezed out of re-licensing by the atf.

So, the atf has been removing the people that would provide the free market competition that you presume.

And that's how you now have a captive audience. There's also local zoning. There's a reason DC is $150 - last I was aware there was exactly ONE gun shop inside the borders of the district, and that guy had to open an office inside one of the municipal buildings because the anti-gun elected officials would not approve any permits for any other location.

•  An amendment to my proposal above... (1+ / 0-)
              Glen The Plumber

...could create a category of FFLs that only handles fee-for-sale background checks and record-keeping and/or changes ATF's policy of not renewing the licenses of people who do small volumes of firearm sales.

by Meteor Blades on Fri Apr 26, 2013 at 05:52:11 PM PDT

•  Seemingly it would be "cost plus" everywhere (0+ / 0-)

and there would be nothing to prevent you guys up there in your out of the way part of Michigan from putting the "plus" part at any point you want.

Besides, in many out of the way places, the same gut woh runs a Pharmamcy, post office, liquor store, etc. shop could just add  firearms transfers as another profit center. Sort of an economic stimulus benefit.

There can be no protection locally if we're content to ignore the fact that there are no controls globally.

by oldpotsmuggler on Fri Apr 26, 2013 at 02:18:16 PM PDT