View Diary: Notes from The North: Just watch me (69 comments)

•  I cannot imagine. This was the centrepiece inter (2+ / 0-)
    Thomasina, figbash

view of the entire period and since. All the serious discussion since has been about Trudeau's acitions, pro and con, and this interview is crucial to any discussion.

Not going to get into all that, but I lived with soldiers in my office and was in a night club in Old Montreal, right near the main police station, at the very moment Laporte's body was brought in. We were not afraid.

And, that is the message - do not give in to fear.

"...stories of past courage can define that ingredient..... But they cannot supply courage itself. For this each man must look into his own soul." JFK Profiles in Courage " Ontario

by ontario on Sat Apr 27, 2013 at 12:21:20 PM PDT

•  Can you clarify? Are you saying you were not (1+ / 0-)
      figbash

afraid of the soldiers? Or  you were not afraid of the FLQ? Thanks.

You cannot cross the sea merely by standing and staring at the water. Rabindranath Tagore

by Thomasina on Sat Apr 27, 2013 at 02:17:00 PM PDT

•  Not afraid of soldiers in Ottawa office nor was I (1+ / 0-)
        Thomasina

afraid to go out in downtown Montreal at the very height on a Saturday night, with armed soldiers on the street. I understood very well what was going on, what the imposition of the War Measures Act meant. I understood the political and moral debate, as well as we could at the time. Obviously there has been more time and public debate to reflect upon it since.

by ontario on Sat Apr 27, 2013 at 09:54:03 PM PDT

•  Thank-you for clarifying. It is good to hear the (0+ / 0-)

opinions of those who were actually there. And yes, with the benefit of hindsight, we can see things that were not obvious at the time.
          Thanks for contributing to my diary, I appreciate your insights!

by Thomasina on Sun Apr 28, 2013 at 11:02:24 AM PDT

•  I was there alright. (1+ / 0-)
            Thomasina

The first person killed by FLQ violence was Wilfrid O'Neil, a janitor at the Canadian Forces Recruiting Centre on Sherbrooke St., right across from the front Roddick Gates of McGill U. I was a student there at the time.

The second person they hurt was Sgt.Maj. Walter "Rocky" Leja, an Armed Forces bomb disposal specialist. He was very badly hurt in Westmount one morning, defusing another one of the innumerable bombs he had already neutered in the FLQ mailbox bomb spree, when this one went off and severely maimed him. Shortly after, my mother was on an MTC bus going right by there. He lived until recently for many years at St.-Anne's Veterans Hospital, when he died. He never left the hospitals after that eventful day.

I was in my 20's, but I have never forgotten.I did not know them.

by ontario on Sun Apr 28, 2013 at 01:29:34 PM PDT

•  Such senseless violence and loss of life. I was 18 (0+ / 0-)

and living on the Prairies so not impacted in a personal way. Thanks for  sharing the stories of those who were.

by Thomasina on Sun Apr 28, 2013 at 01:40:04 PM PDT

• Freddie Gray (23)
  • Education (23)
  • Rescued (23)
  • Republicans (22)
  • Politics (22)
  • Health Care (21)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site