View Diary: What to do if Syria crosses the "red line" and uses biological weapons... (168 comments)

•  Interventionism doesn't work. Examples: Iraq, (4+ / 0-)

Vietnam, Afghanistan, Korea. The last 3 may be considered morally justified, but did they work out in the real world? No.

This diary makes an excellent point: that being the world's policeman is a tiring and often futile job.

-7.50, -6.46 I ♥ paleogeography

by Nattiq on Sat Apr 27, 2013 at 05:53:54 AM PDT

•  What about Libya, Kosovo, and Bosnia? nt (1+ / 0-)
      Sky Net

"I'm a progressive man and I like progressive people" Peter Tosh

by Texas Lefty on Sat Apr 27, 2013 at 06:58:25 AM PDT

•  Just because they are not on the nightly news (1+ / 0-)
        Nattiq

does not make these successes.  The problems are not over in those places by a long-shot.  The situations on the ground there remain very complex.

It gets on my nerves, and you know how I am about my nerves...

by ciganka on Sat Apr 27, 2013 at 12:11:24 PM PDT

•  They are successes because people aren't being (0+ / 0-)

butchered anymore.  I understand there are still many problems in these countries, but there will never be another war in Bosnia or Kosovo.  I'm not so sure about Libya, but I'm sure about the two I mentioned.

"I'm a progressive man and I like progressive people" Peter Tosh

by Texas Lefty on Sun Apr 28, 2013 at 08:05:34 AM PDT

•  I would never be sure about anything in the (0+ / 0-)

Balkans, but yes, hopefully there will not be another conflict.  However, some pretty bloody events still occur in the region from time to time.  Furthermore, the post-conflict justice has been quite selective in nature.

Ordinary people live in very difficult circumstances, particularly compared to Old Yugoslavia, and there is a great deal of corruption and criminal activity that regular people have to cope with on a daily basis.

Probably the wars themselves could have been avoided if there had not been this huge geopolitical shift as the Soviet Union vanished.  For many, it seemed to come out of nowhere.

It will be quite interesting now that serious historians are starting to roll up their sleeves and go to work.  These were wars explained by journalists planning to write books, and eager to paint complex events into simple soundbites.

It gets on my nerves, and you know how I am about my nerves...

by ciganka on Sun Apr 28, 2013 at 10:50:19 AM PDT

•  None of those worked. (1+ / 0-)
        Nattiq

What the hell do you mean by those examples?

•  Well at least in Korea, South Korea was liberated (2+ / 0-)
      Nattiq, VClib

from North Korean occupation and they are not part of North Korea today. So at least, for the time being, that has worked for 60 years even though NOrth Korea makes threats.

Follow PA Keystone Liberals on Twitter: @KeystoneLibs

by wishingwell on Sat Apr 27, 2013 at 07:04:57 AM PDT

•  Worked beautifully for the war profiteers. n/t (3+ / 0-)

Dogs from the street can have all the desirable qualities that one could want from pet dogs. Most adopted stray dogs are usually humble and exceptionally faithful to their owners as if they are grateful for this kindness. -- H.M. Bhumibol Adulyadej

by corvo on Sat Apr 27, 2013 at 09:17:43 AM PDT

•  and Halliburton is back in Iraq (2+ / 0-)
        Nattiq, corvo

along with BP, Shell, Exxon and Chevron.

And Israel need not be concerned about any kind of threat from Iraq well into the future.

Major objectives were accomplished.

Orwell - "Political language ... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable"

by truong son traveler on Sat Apr 27, 2013 at 09:42:01 AM PDT

•  Morally justified? (1+ / 0-)
      Nattiq

What was the moral justification for those three?

•  Good point. Personally I don't think they were, (1+ / 0-)
        Musial

but someone could argue that we were stabilizing Korea, Vietnam, and Afghanistan, even if that didn't happen in the real world. Of course, those wars were ideological and therefore wrong.

-7.50, -6.46 I ♥ paleogeography

by Nattiq on Mon Apr 29, 2013 at 12:43:25 PM PDT

•  nothing morally justified about Vietnam (0+ / 0-)

or the 4 million dead and destroyed environment, just to prove the US owns whatever it wants. Read Chomsky's article of  last October regarding the thinking behind the missiie crisis from the transcripts, the removal of missles from Turkey was viewed as too high a price to pay just to avoid nuclear war. It had to be kept secret to avoid loss of face. The proponents of nuclear war were a majority and LBJ gave them Vietnam, from which the rest is downhill to today's permanent war invented after the withdrawal of the soviet union as a check and balance against global hegemony.