View Diary: Brian Schweitzer: a bold progressive or just another fossil fueled politician? (166 comments)

•  really? (0+ / 0-)

I didn't know there was a handy binary test for progressive

Perhaps you could link it?

In the time that I have been given,
    I am what I am

by duhban on Sat Apr 27, 2013 at 03:45:04 PM PDT

•  i'm not sure how you define it (3+ / 0-)
      jethrock, Magnifico, aliasalias

although i can guess. but many of us consider being responsible on the most important issue humanity has ever faced to be essential.

The cold passion for truth hunts in no pack. -Robinson Jeffers

by Laurence Lewis on Sat Apr 27, 2013 at 03:47:04 PM PDT

•  and I think looking at anyone (0+ / 0-)

in a simplistic black and white view is utterly irresponsible not to mention plain wrong.

Yes the man made some comments on coal and keystone that you, the diarist even I dislike that doesn't make him not a progressive.

It's all great to have your important issues but don't mistake that tree you are staring at for the forest either.

In the time that I have been given,
        I am what I am

by duhban on Sat Apr 27, 2013 at 03:57:33 PM PDT

•  yes (1+ / 0-)
          aliasalias

being a tool of the fossil fuel industry, and being lousy on climate change issues, are a simplistic black and white view. because progressive is a meaningless concept, with not standards whatsoever.

The cold passion for truth hunts in no pack. -Robinson Jeffers

by Laurence Lewis on Sat Apr 27, 2013 at 03:59:08 PM PDT

•  come on Laurence you are better then that (0+ / 0-)

there's no need for a strawman here.

Now please deal with my point or just admit you can not. Schweitzer has been a strong and even bold progressive on a host of issues if you want to kick him out of your little clubhouse because he's not as bold or as progressive as you think he should be that's up to you but I still think that's shortsighted and yes even childish.

In the time that I have been given,
            I am what I am

by duhban on Sat Apr 27, 2013 at 04:07:27 PM PDT

•  let me make this simple for you (4+ / 0-)
              jethrock, Magnifico, RLMiller, aliasalias

no one can be a progressive hero without being responsible on climate issues. no one who is a tool of the fossil fuels industries can be a progressive hero. there are definng issues. climate is one of them.

The cold passion for truth hunts in no pack. -Robinson Jeffers

by Laurence Lewis on Sat Apr 27, 2013 at 04:11:35 PM PDT

•  That "Tool of the Fossil Fuel Industry"... (2+ / 0-)
                afausser, duhban

Passed a number of renewable energy related bills and spent both his terms defending them from attack by the state GOP and the fossil fuel industry.

•  :shrug: (0+ / 0-)

and we are going to disagree there because I take people as they are which means sometimes they will be on what I view as the 'right side' of the issue and sometimes they will be on the 'wrong side' but I am not going to make a judgement call on someone based on any one issue.

You can disagree with that all you want, your view is in no way inherently surperior to mine.

But you want to talk about defininig issues? How about we talk about Schweitzer's stance on Planned Parenthood? Or healthcare?

The world isn't black and white nor is it simple and people are more then a series of boxes.

In the time that I have been given,
                I am what I am

by duhban on Sat Apr 27, 2013 at 04:30:37 PM PDT

•  being on the wrong side (3+ / 0-)
                  RLMiller, Agathena, aliasalias

of the most important issue humanity has ever faced is not part of some relativistic equation.

The cold passion for truth hunts in no pack. -Robinson Jeffers

by Laurence Lewis on Sat Apr 27, 2013 at 04:33:38 PM PDT

•  I am sure people would say the exact (1+ / 0-)
                    afausser

same thing about healthcare, civil liberties etc etc

That you do not understand that is some what ironic and to be clear least you throw in a strawman I am not saying that climate change isn't important. I do think it's hyperbole to call it 'the most important issue humanity has ever faced' though

But then again Schweitzer also has a strong and clear record on renewables too. Which is something if you were willing to be objective you'd admit.

In the time that I have been given,
                    I am what I am

by duhban on Sat Apr 27, 2013 at 04:57:24 PM PDT

•  you really need to study (1+ / 0-)
                      aliasalias

the facts aout climate change. your comments reveal how little you understand them. start with the stern review.

The cold passion for truth hunts in no pack. -Robinson Jeffers

by Laurence Lewis on Sat Apr 27, 2013 at 05:06:45 PM PDT

•  I know the facts about climate change (0+ / 0-)

Frankly as a chemist I probably understand them and the risks better then you do. I certainly understand the chemical aspect better then you do.

Climate change is a pressing issue but it's not the only one nor am I am convinced by the 'day after tomorrow' crowd. The earth's climate is constantly (from a geological point of view) constantly in flux

In the time that I have been given,
                        I am what I am

by duhban on Sat Apr 27, 2013 at 05:25:33 PM PDT

•  as i said (0+ / 0-)

you need to learn the facts about climate change. you have  demonstrated no knowledge of them, and your blithe dismissals demonstrate quite the opposite.

The cold passion for truth hunts in no pack. -Robinson Jeffers

by Laurence Lewis on Sat Apr 27, 2013 at 05:32:24 PM PDT

•  according to you (1+ / 0-)
                            afausser

but given that you can not even acknowledge anything more then a black and white understanding of matters I think I will ignore your criticism as completely unfounded

In the time that I have been given,
                            I am what I am

by duhban on Sat Apr 27, 2013 at 05:36:31 PM PDT

•  yes (0+ / 0-)

continue to dismiss what you clearly don't understand. start with the stern review and get back to me.

The cold passion for truth hunts in no pack. -Robinson Jeffers

by Laurence Lewis on Sat Apr 27, 2013 at 05:40:53 PM PDT

•  I think we are done here (1+ / 0-)
                            afausser

You can't tolerate anything other then your view and you can not acknowledge that the world is more then black and white which personally I think is sad because in the past I've often admired your ability to be balanced and objective.

You have a good  day but I'm not going to be talked down to by you. Especially when I doubt you understand half of the actual science.

In the time that I have been given,
                            I am what I am

by duhban on Sat Apr 27, 2013 at 05:44:39 PM PDT

•  challenge the facts and the science (2+ / 0-)
                            Agathena, aliasalias

if you can. you continue to respond without demonstrating any understanding of the facts and the science. read my diaries on the subject and see if you have any substantive responses. i can wait.

The cold passion for truth hunts in no pack. -Robinson Jeffers

by Laurence Lewis on Sat Apr 27, 2013 at 05:48:48 PM PDT

•  really? (2+ / 0-)
                          Agathena, aliasalias

"The earth's climate is constantly (from a geological point of view) constantly in flux"?

This is a very troubling statement on a reality-based blog.

Do the math. #unfrackCal. @RL_Miller

by RLMiller on Sat Apr 27, 2013 at 05:47:27 PM PDT

•  Says who? You? (3+ / 0-)
                duhban, Sam I Am, RLMiller

There's another group of people who apply purity tests. We call them the tea party.

So have a primary in MT. If Schweitzer still wins, I'm supporting him against any R. If you want to take your ball and go home after that on energy issues alone, then go ahead.

But you do not define who is or who is not. Democrat, liberal, progressive, ever. Got it?

I repeatedly claimed that Obama would never propose cuts to social security. I was wrong. Then again, I also claimed, repeatedly, that Rick Perry would win the 2012 Election, and that The Supreme Court would overturn Health Care Reform.

by NoFortunateSon on Sat Apr 27, 2013 at 04:50:34 PM PDT

•  but think about all the jobs chipping holes in the (0+ / 0-)

hull of earth ship titanic !

without the ants the rainforest dies

by aliasalias on Sun Apr 28, 2013 at 10:54:19 AM PDT