View Diary: Where's jbou? (110 comments)

•  Which proves nothing (0+ / 0-)

except that certain people are allowed to use it, others less so.

Dogs from the street can have all the desirable qualities that one could want from pet dogs. Most adopted stray dogs are usually humble and exceptionally faithful to their owners as if they are grateful for this kindness. -- H.M. Bhumibol Adulyadej

by corvo on Mon Apr 29, 2013 at 07:33:36 AM PDT

•  Eh ? (1+ / 0-)
      SilentBrook
      Which proves nothing
      except that certain people are allowed to use it, others less so.
      It proves that the word is not what you thought it might be .

The one hide rate of one comment , 1/168 , doesn't show

that certain people are allowed to use it, others less so.

The use of the word doesn't seem to upset people , so your case kind of falls apart .

And the fact that the person you are talking about for using that word said

Will you hear my plea to re-instate jbou?
      does that make any sense to you ?
      Why go after the person who publicly asked for jboe's reinstatement for
      I like jbou but to be fair, he was a douchenozzle the other week.

Drop the name-calling MB 2/4/11 + Please try to use ratings properly! Kos 9/9/11 + Trusted Users have a responsibility to police the general tenor... Hunter 5/26/06

by indycam on Mon Apr 29, 2013 at 07:53:02 AM PDT

•  You keep making my point. (2+ / 0-)
        Kentucky Kid, Neuroptimalian

When the "in crowd" thinks it's okay, it's okay.

by corvo on Mon Apr 29, 2013 at 07:59:03 AM PDT

•  The "in crowd" ? (1+ / 0-)
          SilentBrook

Every trusted user , of any crowd , can hide rate "douchenozzle" if they wish to .
          In the past year only one trusted user hide rated one comment with "douchenozzle" in it .
          The other 167 times "douchenozzle" was used no trusted user hide rated . The 167 other times "douchenozzle" was used in a comment , the comments got a combined set of recommends in the hundreds .

by indycam on Mon Apr 29, 2013 at 08:21:09 AM PDT

•  Are you saying (4+ / 0-)

I'm a member of the 'in crowd'? If so, I'd disagree.

I was stalked by another member here for a year! A year of receiving unwanted, (dozens & dozens of) odd emails. Crap like "do you love me?", name calling emails, saying they had googled me in real life, found my wife's obituary and then passing judgement ON MY DEAD WIFE, saying they had read every comment I ever made here...diaries written about me(w/o naming me). I asked for moderation several times, but I never even got a reply from admin. Doesn't sound too 'in crowdy' to me. It wasn't until I called the police to inquire what constitutes cyber-stalking, and the police called my harasser--and the harasser made light of the police being involved that shit got real.

fwiw, legally, I was not "stalked", I was "cyber-harassed"--a crime.

The better I know people, the more I like my dog.

by Thinking Fella on Mon Apr 29, 2013 at 08:29:38 AM PDT

•  I don't think that was about you . (2+ / 0-)
            Thinking Fella, SilentBrook

I think its just a silly argument for the sake of arguing .
            The contradictions in their arguments shows a great deal about their arguments .

by indycam on Mon Apr 29, 2013 at 08:38:07 AM PDT

•  I am so old I remember Quantum Leap's (0+ / 0-)

fashion-challenged admiral calling the bad-guy-de-semana "nozzle" regularly. Liked that, myself, as an insult -- the Admiral having been a fighter jock in the 'Nam.

LBJ, Lady Bird, Van Cliburn, Ike, Ann Richards, Barbara Jordan, Molly Ivins, Sully Sullenburger, Drew Brees: Texas is NO Bush League!

by BlackSheep1 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 at 09:18:55 AM PDT

•  Anyone can use douchenozzle (10+ / 0-)

or asshole etc.  The reason you can't use the "c" word isn't because it is a "naughty word" it is because it is falming sexist and misogynistic and after all of the diaries on language and racism that we have had to endure, I am frankly shocked that anyone would even ask why we can't fucking use it.

"I watch Fox News for my comedy, and Comedy Central for my news." - Facebook Group

by Sychotic1 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 at 07:53:14 AM PDT

•  Well, says you. (1+ / 0-)
        Neuroptimalian

I don't like either word.

by corvo on Mon Apr 29, 2013 at 07:58:19 AM PDT

•  From the faq pages (6+ / 0-)

This is a site for adults and language is not generally policed here, in terms of "shit," "fuck," "asshole," or any of those other family-unfriendly words. Avoid "fuck" in headlines to avoid triggering browser filters of users who log on at their workplace. Anti-semitic, anti-Arab, racist, sexist, ableist and heterosexist language, however, is unwelcome.
          Admin Moderation: Warning, suspension, banning.

by indycam on Mon Apr 29, 2013 at 08:05:34 AM PDT

•  you're making my point. n/t (0+ / 0-)

by corvo on Mon Apr 29, 2013 at 08:12:56 AM PDT

•  Really ? How so ? (1+ / 0-)
              SilentBrook

by indycam on Mon Apr 29, 2013 at 08:14:38 AM PDT

•  How is "douchenozzle" not sexist? n/t (0+ / 0-)

by corvo on Mon Apr 29, 2013 at 08:15:45 AM PDT

•  Don't ask me to prove a negative . (2+ / 0-)
                  Kimbeaux, SilentBrook

If you want to make the case for "douchenozzle" being sexist ,
                  I say go for it , I'm all ears .
                  If you do it well enough I'll share it with the whole site ,
                  I'll try to get it wide spread viewing .

by indycam on Mon Apr 29, 2013 at 08:27:56 AM PDT

•  This isn't logic class; (0+ / 0-)

it's rhetoric class.  But thanks for the deflection.

by corvo on Mon Apr 29, 2013 at 08:29:20 AM PDT

•  So you will not even atempt to show (2+ / 0-)
                      Kimbeaux, SilentBrook

what you claimed , not even a little ?

If "douchenozzle" is sexist as you claim ,
                      why not show the thoughts / reasons ?

Is it that you can't ?
                      Take as much time as you like , I'll wait for your explanation of how "douchenozzle" is sexist .

by indycam on Mon Apr 29, 2013 at 08:34:31 AM PDT

•  I think "douchenozzle" (1+ / 0-)
                        Neuroptimalian

is just the stupidest "insult" I think I have ever seen.  If you want to know why it can perceived as sexist....men don't douche.  And douching implies that women are somehow dirty.

See what happens when we get into this semantic bullshit?  A fucking fight for 8 or 10 comments.

Just dumb all the way around.

Listening to the NRA on school safety is like listening to the tobacco companies on cigarette safety. (h/t nightsweat)

by PsychoSavannah on Mon Apr 29, 2013 at 09:03:20 AM PDT

•  Anything can be "perceived" as anything (0+ / 0-)

just like jockstrap.

by Sychotic1 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 at 09:25:08 AM PDT

•  So you are claiming that "douchenozzle" (1+ / 0-)
                          SilentBrook

is a sexist insult ? And then anyone who flings "douchenozzle" is a sexist ?

by indycam on Mon Apr 29, 2013 at 11:54:46 AM PDT

•  I'm claiming that it's stupid. And juvenile. (0+ / 0-)

And not very effective.

But, since you did ask waaaaaaaay up above how it could be perceived as sexist, I gave you the answer.

by PsychoSavannah on Mon Apr 29, 2013 at 01:29:52 PM PDT

•  I did not ask (0+ / 0-)
                            how it could be perceived as sexist
                             You changed the question so that you could answer .
                             I'm claiming that it's stupid. And juvenile.
                            And not very effective.
                            I didn't ask if it was stupid , juvenile or effective .

The claim made was that it was sexist , I asked to be shown how it is sexist . Not how it could be perceived as sexist .
                            Make the argument for it being sexist or fail .

by indycam on Mon Apr 29, 2013 at 03:42:35 PM PDT

•  Actually, proving a negative (0+ / 0-)

is pretty much the demand being put on anyone accused of using worty durds around here.  "Prove that saying X about Y isn't racist!" for instance -- except that the approach is to HR and ban first, and then not to even ask later.

I, on the other hand, am being generous to you.

by corvo on Mon Apr 29, 2013 at 08:34:32 AM PDT

•  But mommy he did it too . A childs argument . (1+ / 0-)
                      SilentBrook
                      I, on the other hand, am being generous to you.
                      Please do stop , your generosity is not .

Do try your best to show "douchenozzle" to be sexist , that was your claim , you put that forth , its on you to show it to be true . If you can not then it will remove your credibility .

by indycam on Mon Apr 29, 2013 at 08:43:36 AM PDT

•  douchenozzle has no history of being (3+ / 0-)
                  indycam, SilentBrook, splashy

used as a sexist term, unless we want to start making shit up.

by Sychotic1 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 at 09:24:23 AM PDT