View Diary: The sad irony of Black America's biblical justification for anti-marriage-equality stance (45 comments)

•  it's how i feel (0+ / 0-)

and it's not racist to acknowledge a quote by Cornel West that I found to be powerful and very REAL, so don't try and paint me out to be a bigot.

Deficits don't matter, jobs do.

by aguadito on Tue Apr 30, 2013 at 11:08:25 AM PDT

•  Yeah because you are such a follower of Dr West (0+ / 0-)

I doubt he would agree with you that minorities no longer face any obstacles.

Proud Aspie mom of an LGBT kid and some Aspies.

by CatM on Tue Apr 30, 2013 at 11:29:00 AM PDT

•  And the game of telephone begins (0+ / 0-)

That's not what I wrote. I said, in the context of the old-school obstacles post-WWII era, that minorities and women aren't facing real obstacles like back then, they're of a different nature and it doesn't matter WHAT you are, you can gain wealth and a pass into the club of the elites.

But you're not interested in a discussion or a debate, you're interested in labelling this diary and myself as inappropriate and avoiding the points put forth.

And I guarantee you that I've read more of Dr. West's work than you have.

Deficits don't matter, jobs do.

by aguadito on Tue Apr 30, 2013 at 11:43:29 AM PDT

•  It was exactly what you wrote (0+ / 0-)

It was a direct quote that you offered in your complaint about white male persecution, and you defended that position in this very thread, claiming Sandra Fluke was proof women no longer face these hardships. I read what you wrote there and here, and I did offer quite lengthy debate or discussion on what is wrong with your diary's premise, for which you failed to provide a reasonable counterargument (what you offered was a knee-jerk defense, not a counterargument). You have yet to explain who represents "black America" or how black America can hold the position you claim when so many prominent black Americans have come out in support of LGBT equality. You have yet to explain why, if the voices of a few blacks represent black America, the voices of conservative homophobic whites do not equally represent white America.

I did discuss and debate. You are the one who hasn't, probably because it is hard to defend such a losing, wrongheaded argument as the ones you have been making.

Proud Aspie mom of an LGBT kid and some Aspies.

by CatM on Tue Apr 30, 2013 at 11:53:16 AM PDT

•  Amusing (0+ / 0-)

BLACK PEOPLE REPRESENT BLACK AMERICA, AS EVIDENCED BY THE ESPN ANALYST, THE POLLS I CITED, AND THE PEOPLE ON TWITTER I WAS REFERENCING.

Try re-reading the diary and visiting the links and toning down your faux-outrage.

I'll reiterate, my comment was in response to someone talking about how "material possessions don't matter" and that "women and minorities with money still face xyz", and I was explaining that money gets you into the club, regardless of gender or race, and in that sense they don't face the obstacles of back when.

That DOES NOT MEAN THAT ALL WOMEN AND MINORITIES HAVE ZERO OBSTACLES.

And the fact you seriously try and libel my character by saying i'm like Anton Scalia and writing that because I am standing up for working Americans of all types i'm somehow contradicting myself? You're totally outrageous and behaving hysterically instead of understanding the bigger discussion.  It's a symptom of those who prefer the machine-gun modern cable TV media and demand to have sensationalism and something seemingly inappropriate to point out. Broaden your horizons, it will do wonders for repairing your character flaws.

Deficits don't matter, jobs do.

by aguadito on Tue Apr 30, 2013 at 11:58:52 AM PDT

•  That isn't what you wrote (0+ / 0-)

You said--and I am quoting--"Women, minorities (religious, ethnic), they don't face any real obstacles these days." You did not say "compared to way back when..."

You said they now get preferential treatment in schools and in the hiring process (what a joke).

You also said, "And while you're crying about marriage equality or some racial-ethnic profiling, the middle class has been dismantled."

And you expect anyone to believe that you wrote this diary because you are so concerned about marriage equality? I will not go as far as to accuse you of bring a troll (though it has crossed my mind), but I will say you are coming across as pretty ignorant. Note how few people cared to recommend your comment or your diary. That should give you pause to reflect on the fact that maybe, just maybe, you are wrong.

It is more than clear you did not post this diary to open up a reasoned discussion or to consider what others might have to say. I won't hypothesize what your motives were other than to say they clearly did not sprout from a desire to lend clarity to a complex issue or help anyone achieve a deeper level of understanding (which would be hard with such shallow thoughts).

I truly hope you are a young person because then there may be some hope that you will wake up one day and realize how you are one of the last people who should be lecturing anyone about the need to broaden their horizons or to educate themselves. My writing speaks for itself, just as yours does, and my initial response to your diary was better received than your diary (which most Kossacks likely avoided due to the incendiary trollish title, but I being an Aspie could not resist).

You should be grateful no one gave your diary the donuts it likely deserved. Your argument is so unoriginal, it could have been cut and pasted from Free Republic. It is hardly the stuff one expects from such a great enlightened mind as the one you imagine you have. I suggest you expand your horizons and stop trotting out quotes from black people as though it somehow gives your pointless arguments credibility--at least not until you learn a lot more about black America and how to recognize that it isn't actually a monolithic entity save for your black friend Morgan Freeman.

Proud Aspie mom of an LGBT kid and some Aspies.

by CatM on Tue Apr 30, 2013 at 12:23:36 PM PDT

•  You're pathetic. (0+ / 0-)

It's abundantly clear you didn't read my diary, you didn't read the thread of the discussion my comment was a reply to.

You're taking phrases out of context to serve your agenda.

I grew up in low-class apartment complexes and I'm well acquainted with black America. and if you're so ignorant that you don't even want to address the issue as it is: blacks being disproportionately against gay marriage from their political affiliation (a trend that has changed RAPIDLY, as shown in the links I've provided).

It's actually against the rules to respond to diaries that you only read the title of and want to create a flamewar, which I won't speculate, but clearly you're here to harass a guy writing about an issue within black America.

You just run around like a right-wing dingbat spewing accusations without appreciating any nuance or more complex discussion.

You still have yet to make any point, except that you have dug out some other comment from a different diary that was in a larger discussion about issues in America (which are economic, not racial/gender profiling or issues -- and not to say there are NO obstacles for ANY minorities or women -- utter stupidity).

It's easier for you to turn the issue into some comment I made in another diary, because you're unable to intellectually grasp the argument in the diary since you didn't even read it, you had a knee-jerk reaction to anyone daring to write about a topic about black America. GOD FORBID. Cry me a river, deal with it, and maybe if your hysteria settles you can take the time to do the proper thing and actually read the content and formulate a critique that doesn't involve out-of-context quotes from a completely different comment in a completely different diary.

You've got serious race issues. This is the 21st century, we have an oligarchy to fight, stop dividing the country on racial and gender lines, it's offensive to the working and (former) middle class people who have been marginalized REGARDLESS OF WHAT THE HELL THEY LOOK LIKE OR WHERE THEY COME FROM.

Deficits don't matter, jobs do.

by aguadito on Tue Apr 30, 2013 at 12:35:49 PM PDT

•  I have race issues? (0+ / 0-)

First, I read your diary. Second, I responded in full. Third, you are the one with obvious race issues, as I and others have made clear.

Proud Aspie mom of an LGBT kid and some Aspies.

by CatM on Tue Apr 30, 2013 at 05:37:27 PM PDT

•  lol (0+ / 0-)

"I and others"

you mean you and some other idiot who read the title and ran straight to the comment section?

You:

1) twisted a comment from an irrelevant diary referenced by an equally ignorant reader,

2) see the world through a 1970's area lense where you divide the country by race and gender groups, when the bigger issue in the 21st century is class. you're too old to understand the current issues and the relevance.

3) You and one person have accused me of that crap. That's not "you and others" it's YOU AND ONE OTHER GUY.

But yea youre a pretty obvious case there -- making up things about what I said, over-stating yourself by creating an imaginary plurality of support. You're just a dishonest individual and that shows in the fact that you've been unable to formulate a coherent argument and focus instead on faux-outrage and bullshit sensationalism (again, you're a victim of the cable news media age, and the prescription is you need to read more books and not obsess over DailyKos' others members who are absolutely obsessed with framing issues that put minorities and women in the same group fighting evil white men).

Again, meanwhile I'll be fighting for the issues of our day that actually matter through the new lense.

Oh wait, that's right, you think I think all women and minorities face zero obstacles. So smart!

Deficits don't matter, jobs do.

by aguadito on Tue Apr 30, 2013 at 07:24:31 PM PDT