View Diary: Daily Kos diarist/teacher removed from classroom by police (186 comments)

•  I understand your pain (3+ / 0-)
    RocketJSquirrel, DFWmom, erush1345

and the humiliation that comes from the "separation/termination process" that most modern organizations engage in, I have been through that experience myself.
     the

I will make one observation regarding your actions that gave and will continue to give the administration the ability to go after you: your linking too many different parts of your life together via the internet. That includes all the bits of  information about yourself that you consider separate, into this one diary. They are no longer separate.

Also including the room 210 blog, perhaps you are right your students don't know about it, but a google search using the search term  "room 210" brings up this result:

"Mar 22, 2013 – Room 210 Discussion. This blog is designed to provide students and former students from Mr. Randy Turner's communication arts classes at ..."

I could see where the administration might think students would know about it (you didn't mention why this mattered but anyway I'm sure you get the point, and again if the students didn't know then, they (potentially) know now by reading this diary.

Also the idea that the money you have made is not going to be there someday when you give it away to a yet to be found charity, might not be equal to not making a dime, but I'm not a lawyer so I have no clue. Again I think you should consider what information you are giving out, including making statements that go toward showing good intent but may be used just as easily by someone else to prove their point.

You are in a in a bad situation, you should be more careful IMHO.

•  Agreed (4+ / 0-)

I said something similar above about not litigating this in a public forum, and you say it more eloquently here.

I read a bit more about this case.  We are seeing rturner's side of this story.  I can see how a school administrator or a parent might see things differently.

And indeed, saying "I was going to give my profits if any to charity" is not the same thing as, say, setting up a trust or escrow account for those earnings in advance.

I hate what American public education has become or is becoming.  I'm with you on a lot of the criticism and think teachers are getting totally fucked over in general.

But I am simply not so sure this situation is exemplary of all that. This is stuff that could get you in trouble in a progressive district too. Or in any job.

And right or not, you are harming your ability to win a judgment in this case for every second this is online and with every paragraph you write about the details for a public forum.  I am wondering if you have yet consulted the attorney being provided for you by the teachers' association.  Or if s/he is competent.

“I wore black because ... it's still my symbol of rebellion -- against a stagnant status quo, against our hypocritical houses of God, against people whose minds are closed to others' ideas.” -- Johnny Cash

by RocketJSquirrel on Wed May 01, 2013 at 04:49:45 AM PDT

•  And further (1+ / 0-)
        Sparhawk

I see several of the different "Room 210" blogs have been made private, which is a good start.  But one of them (http://room210sms.blogspot.com/) is not private.

And it contains the week's spelling words for the class.

So there goes a pillar of the argument.

by RocketJSquirrel on Wed May 01, 2013 at 04:52:20 AM PDT

•  Oh, maybe I am confused (1+ / 0-)
          wishingwell

So the "Mr. Turner's Corner" blog I linked is the official classroom blog to which your students were in fact pointed, but you are saying that one never had advertisements for anything, even your own book, right?

Just trying to grok the situation.  There are at least three different blogspot blogs by the author of this diary that have "Room 210" in their names, and I guess he is saying 2 of them were never actually meant for the students of Room 210, while one was.

by RocketJSquirrel on Wed May 01, 2013 at 05:03:37 AM PDT

•  Room 210 sites (2+ / 0-)
            wishingwell, Catte Nappe

All of the Room 210 sites were started when I was teaching in Room 210 at another middle school in the Joplin School District. In fact, in the room210sms.blogspot.com for my classroom blog, Mr. Turner's Corner, the SMS stands for South Middle School. I am currently in my fourth year teaching at East Middle School and have not been in a Room 210 for four years. Rather than start all of my blogs from scratch, I continued the three for my classroom site, my journalism club site, and for my third quarter research project. I have been in room 804 for the past two years.

•  OK, thanks for explaining that (0+ / 0-)

Ironically I once taught in a room 804 (college, but hey, it's the same profession).

by RocketJSquirrel on Wed May 01, 2013 at 05:15:44 AM PDT

•  Yes you did (2+ / 0-)
        mrkvica, Laconic Lib

several times now and I for one am really pleased that the diarist has a lot more courage than you do. If we all did as you recommend this and many other injustices would never see the light of day.

•  So it's about courage? (3+ / 0-)
          Christin, Sparhawk, gramofsam1

I didn't say anything about courage (nor do you know anything about mine).  Nor did mention fear or professionalism.

It is a fact of litigation strategy that publicizing in this manner is risky, so I suppose it's "courageous" in that sense.

As a teacher (on your side) I merely suggest that returner is being imprudent if he is posting these details without advice of counsel.  Of course for all I know his lawyer is right next to him hitting "post."

No need to be insulting, in any case. My courage is not the issue here.  I'm enjoying reading this and getting all outrage-y this morning too.  But I bet Mr Turner's lawyer is having a different reaction.

If you think I'm wrong you can say so, but you have no basis for personal insults imputing cowardice.

by RocketJSquirrel on Wed May 01, 2013 at 06:20:24 AM PDT

•  Oh and . . . (0+ / 0-)

a court of law (or perhaps an administrative hearing) is the "light of day" where "injustices" are usually first and best "seen."

dKos is not as important as all that.

by RocketJSquirrel on Wed May 01, 2013 at 07:41:22 AM PDT