View Diary: White House Meeting on Arctic Media Blackout (143 comments)

•  Did you read (2+ / 0-)
    maryabein, WarrenS

the post in Neven's blog about sudden stratospheric warming events? It was written by an amateur, but he had a lot of facts to back it up. Very interesting.
    I've been reading this blog ever since someone (FOOW?) linked to it.

You..ought to be out raising hell. This is the fighting age. Put on your fighting clothes. -Mother Jones

by northsylvania on Wed May 01, 2013 at 12:44:47 AM PDT

•  I didn't link to it. He got it wrong, IMO (7+ / 0-)

SSWs are large scale events triggered by wave planetary scale atmospheric waves breaking into the stratosphere. They correlate with strong tropical convection in Indonesia and the western Pacific. They correlate well with the evolution of the Madden Julian oscillation (MJO).

The desert dust that reaches Greenland is transported at a much lower trajectory.  The author linked multiple coincidences that don't really fit together in that post. The physics is very challenging. I don't fully understand the physics but I can see he's not even in the right ballpark. He has the scale of the problem wrong and the level in the atmosphere wrong.

SSWs involve the planet's strongest atmospheric convection cell and its highest mountain range & plateau.

look for my eSci diary series Thursday evening.

by FishOutofWater on Wed May 01, 2013 at 05:02:25 AM PDT

•  It was good of him to state he had no credentials (2+ / 0-)
        GreyHawk, FishOutofWater

up front, I skipped his analysis. Experts have a hard time with this, I couldn't imagine how many opportunities he would have to misunderstand the subject.

Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree. -Martin Luther

by the fan man on Wed May 01, 2013 at 06:05:50 AM PDT

•  not good (2+ / 0-)
          johanus, Brooklyn Jim

I didnt and dont like the word "credentials" for a PhD. This is not about credence. A PhD doesnt mean your words gain authority. It does mean training. You have gone through a years long rigorous scientific training if you have got one. That means its more likely than not that you actually know how to work scientifically, but it doesnt mean that any idea you suggest can claim any more "credence". Ideas at all times have to stand on their own merits. So like Fish said, the important thing was not that he has no PhD, it was that the thesis was not very convincing.

That also means that one shouldnt stop reading just because someone doesnt have a PhD. One should become extra wary maybe, but not dismiss someone based on a title or lack of it.

•  agreed, although (4+ / 0-)

there may be some validity in the "disrupting the polar vortex" part of it.  But as a heat transport mechanism it's off by orders of magnitude.

Global warming (and the resultant "climate change") is about the oceans.  That's where the energy is, because that's where both the absorbing surface and the heat capacity are.  Our human (landlocked) perspective seems to distract us from that, and as a result to misunderstand what is happening.

Fake Left, Drive Right . . . not my idea of a Democrat . . .

by Deward Hastings on Wed May 01, 2013 at 06:47:37 AM PDT

•  Yes, That's why I track ocean heat content, (5+ / 0-)

ocean currents, upwelling, overturning, and outgoing longwave radiation. If you don't understand what's changing in the oceans, you don't understand climate change.

look for my eSci diary series Thursday evening.

by FishOutofWater on Wed May 01, 2013 at 07:20:29 AM PDT

•  that's why the arctic ice predictions (0+ / 0-)

were so wrong . . . the models treated it as a continental "climate" thing, with an ice interface on the bottom.  In fact it's an ocean thing with some "weather" input from above.  The models said meltout by 2100, maybe.  The ocean says "don't mess with Mother Nature".

We know who got it right . . .

Fake Left, Drive Right . . . not my idea of a Democrat . . .

by Deward Hastings on Wed May 01, 2013 at 11:31:22 AM PDT