View Diary: Abbreviated Pundit Round-up: Republican paranoia, flu political sensitivity and more (68 comments)

•  The GOP is nowhere near dead. (6+ / 0-)

Dead political parties don't control the federal levers of power and don't control one house of congress.  So far, this party you consider dead has managed to stop the majority in Washington from governing.

"In this world of sin and sorrow there is always something to be thankful for; as for me, I rejoice that I am not a Republican." - H. L. Mencken

by SueDe on Thu May 02, 2013 at 06:02:30 AM PDT

•  what HAS happened (2+ / 0-)
      skohayes, a gilas girl

is they realize they are not the majority.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

by Greg Dworkin on Thu May 02, 2013 at 06:09:44 AM PDT

•  That realization doesn't seem to have (6+ / 0-)

slowed them down.  They've found they don't need to be the majority party to control the direction of legislation.

by SueDe on Thu May 02, 2013 at 06:28:11 AM PDT

•  Of course it hasn't slowed them down (1+ / 0-)
          SueDe

I'm not sure why anyone would expect that it should...recognizing they are no longer in the majority is lost a guarantee that the are going to double down: become more radical, extreme, and desperate.

That's how the psychology of moving from being the default to the marginal works

Words can sometimes, in moments of grace, attain the quality of deeds. --Elie Wiesel

by a gilas girl on Thu May 02, 2013 at 07:55:17 AM PDT

•  I agree (2+ / 0-)
      SueDe, nadd2

The death of the Republican party is constantly touted here as a done deal.
      As you and I both know, they're doing quite well out here, and as long as they control a majority of the states, we're still screwed.

“We are not a nation that says ‘don’t ask, don’t tell.’ We are a nation that says ‘out of many, we are one.’” -Barack Obama

by skohayes on Thu May 02, 2013 at 06:26:39 AM PDT

•  doing badly there for 2014 (0+ / 0-)

see corbett, scott, and see Kos' recent post.

by Greg Dworkin on Thu May 02, 2013 at 06:37:46 AM PDT

•  Corbett and Scott (2+ / 0-)
          SueDe, PsychoSavannah

both rule over "purple" (is PA considered blue for state races?) states. I'm talking the red mid west and western states (you know, the ones whose Senators killed the background check bill).
          I will check out kos' post, I need a boost.

by skohayes on Thu May 02, 2013 at 06:44:08 AM PDT