View Diary: Daily Kos and "the master's tools" (138 comments)

•  No, it isn't an ad hominem (1+ / 0-)
    sexgenderbody

It's a recognition that the demographics of the site give rise to a certain way of speaking that's exclusive and that reinforces the current site demographic make up. It is an important issue and it harms the site. I see people who don't conform to the language standards run off this site all the time. And not for things like sexism, but for saying shit the wrong way.

If debt were a moral issue then, lacking morals, corporations could never be in debt.

by AoT on Thu May 02, 2013 at 09:50:42 AM PDT

•  Examples please. n/t (0+ / 0-)

Dogs from the street can have all the desirable qualities that one could want from pet dogs. Most adopted stray dogs are usually humble and exceptionally faithful to their owners as if they are grateful for this kindness. -- H.M. Bhumibol Adulyadej

by corvo on Thu May 02, 2013 at 09:55:19 AM PDT

•  Heh. (0+ / 0-)

I think it was a rhetorical rant.

•  Adept4U is the first one I can think of. (0+ / 0-)

And no, I'm not talking about blackwaterdog.

There was at least one other young black person as well.

by AoT on Thu May 02, 2013 at 10:35:38 AM PDT

•  same exact kind of case. (0+ / 0-)

Lots of scattershot accusations of racism.

by corvo on Thu May 02, 2013 at 11:24:59 AM PDT

•  I can't remember the names (0+ / 0-)

because they last such a short time. Honestly, looking at the response to this diary I think shows fairly well what the problem is. The diary points out how the use of language can be oppressive and that it is responsible to some extent for the fact that the demographics here are wildly different than the demographics of the party. Then people show up and don't address what was said and instead turn it into some kind of attack on white men as purposely attacking everyone who isn't a white man. Irony abounds.

by AoT on Thu May 02, 2013 at 11:29:29 AM PDT

•  it's words (0+ / 0-)

I'd hate to see what would happen if people had to actually defend themselves from something other than words.

I sing praises in the church of nonsense, but in my heart I'm still an atheist, demanding sense of all things.

by jbou on Thu May 02, 2013 at 11:31:22 AM PDT

•  Given that we live in the US and we're talking (0+ / 0-)

about women and people of color I can tell you that they do need to defend themselves against more than just words. Probably more than you'd expect. That's the issue. If they were "just words" then it would hardly be a big deal. The issue being brought up is that how we use words matters. You of all people should know the power of words.

by AoT on Thu May 02, 2013 at 11:36:09 AM PDT

•  I grew up with the... (3+ / 0-)

queen of verbal and physical abuse as a mother. I guess my callused skin doesn't let the words penetrate.

Perspective and all that.

by jbou on Thu May 02, 2013 at 11:47:10 AM PDT

•  I am even more (1+ / 0-)
                    corvo

confused than before. What the fuck is this whole argument about again?

"The next time everyone will pay for it equally, and there won't be any more Chosen Nations, or any Others. Poor bastards all." ~The Boomer Bible

by just another vet on Thu May 02, 2013 at 01:06:46 PM PDT

•  It's about this: (1+ / 0-)
                      just another vet
                      I wrote a post the other day that some people here really didn't like.
                      Translation: "I got donutted big time a couple of days ago and I need a quick mojo fix.  I'm down to three bars ferchrissakes."

It certainly isn't dialog; the diarist hasn't condescended to make any follow-up comments.

Happens all the time around here.

by corvo on Thu May 02, 2013 at 01:38:53 PM PDT

•  Oops, adept2U (0+ / 0-)

And there are others who no longer participate as well.

And no, I don't mean blackwaterdog.

by AoT on Thu May 02, 2013 at 10:40:59 AM PDT

•  people leave because... (2+ / 0-)
          just another vet, corvo

they can't handle disagreement. Because they can't fathom why some person on the intertubes doesn't agree with their precious well thought out opinion.

and don't get me started about BWD I just got back from a mandatory break.

by jbou on Thu May 02, 2013 at 11:34:54 AM PDT

•  How "run off the site?" (1+ / 0-)
      corvo

People are being HR'd to the point of auto-ban for not conforming to language standards?  I haven't seen that.

Sure there's a lot of incivility at times, but I don't think it's confined to people who fail the "white male-ese" standard of writing.  And so what?  If it's out of hand, complain to the management.  Otherwise, stand your ground and argue your point.  I don't see what's so oppressive about that.

I'm not sure what we educated middle-aged white childless men are supposed to do differently.  Why should we be expected to alter our writing style to accommodate others any more than they should alter their style to accommodate us?

“What’s the use of having developed a science well enough to make predictions if, in the end, all we’re willing to do is stand around and wait for them to come true?” - Sherwood Rowland

by jrooth on Thu May 02, 2013 at 10:02:25 AM PDT

•  Sometimes through HRs (1+ / 0-)
        sexgenderbody

Sometimes just through a constant harassment due to language usage. Especially when women or people of color call out people who are using discriminatory language. Sure, they aren't physically forced out, but given the incredible whiteness, age, and relative wealth of this place there is clearly something that's a problem. This diary points out at least part of the problem.

by AoT on Thu May 02, 2013 at 10:43:31 AM PDT

•  there are serious problems... (0+ / 0-)

in our country. Use of antiquated racial slurs on the internet ain't one of them.

by jbou on Thu May 02, 2013 at 11:39:33 AM PDT

•  So you think our use of langguage (0+ / 0-)

has nothing to do with the dearth of women and people of color at the site? What's the cause then?

by AoT on Thu May 02, 2013 at 11:42:22 AM PDT

•  men like to argue... (2+ / 0-)
              cassandracarolina, commonmass

and white men really like to argue. We have an annoying desire to be right about everything and will go to great lengths to prove it. Women will walk away much quicker from an argument. Can't speak to the black folks.

I say be who we are and let the chips fall where they may and also be genuine. People will respect it. When you start changing to try and please people you get all sorts of muddled and messed up.

by jbou on Thu May 02, 2013 at 11:57:45 AM PDT

•  We must know different women. (1+ / 0-)
                just another vet

Most of the ones I know can more than hold their own.

by corvo on Thu May 02, 2013 at 08:04:47 PM PDT

•  I'm still trying to understand (2+ / 0-)
          just another vet, corvo

what I'm supposed to do differently.  If the way I write is oppressive then exactly how am I supposed to change?

by jrooth on Thu May 02, 2013 at 11:48:18 AM PDT

•  They can't tell you that (0+ / 0-)

because to do so they would have to use language, which is irredeemably masculinist.

by corvo on Thu May 02, 2013 at 08:04:10 PM PDT

•  Run off the site how? (1+ / 0-)
      corvo

Are people being HR'ed into oblivion for failing to conform to the language standards?  I haven't seen it.

Sure there's incivility, but I don't think that's confined to people who don't write in "white male-ese."  And so what?  If it's out of hand, complain to the management - otherwise stand your ground and argue your point.  I don't see what's so oppressive about that.

I'm not sure what we educated middle-aged childless white men are supposed to do differently.  Why should we be expected to alter our writing style to accommodate others any more than they should be expected to do the same?

by jrooth on Thu May 02, 2013 at 10:08:18 AM PDT

•  Damn - sorry about the double post. (2+ / 0-)
        corvo, AoT

I swear I refreshed several times and my first try wasn't there.

by jrooth on Thu May 02, 2013 at 10:10:07 AM PDT

•  We failed to nurture an environment (0+ / 0-)

in which users like blackwaterdog could decry presumed white males as "racists" whenever she wanted to, and for whatever reason (including none at all).

by corvo on Thu May 02, 2013 at 10:20:39 AM PDT

•  Come on, do you really think I'm going to (0+ / 0-)

defend BWD? Yes, there are people who pull the "you criticized Obama, you're racist card" and they are rightfully told to piss off. This is a different matter altogether.

by AoT on Thu May 02, 2013 at 11:07:01 AM PDT

•  Okay, then, (0+ / 0-)

we failed to nurture an environment in which users like Adept2U (or whatever his/her nick was) could decry presumed white males as "racists" whenever she wanted to, and for whatever reason (including none at all).

by corvo on Thu May 02, 2013 at 11:25:57 AM PDT

•  We've built an environment where (1+ / 0-)
              sexgenderbody

people of color and women aren't comfortable. As clearly illustrated by the lack of people of color and women. Sure, there are some, but they are a much smaller percentage than either the internet in general and even more so the party. That's not an accident.

by AoT on Thu May 02, 2013 at 11:33:57 AM PDT

•  so what can we change? (0+ / 0-)

by jbou on Thu May 02, 2013 at 11:49:28 AM PDT

•  I would hope so (0+ / 0-)

I mean, it's certainly possible to not have this be true. I don't know that we will change, but we sure can. There are people working on it, obviously this was not a real attempt at that, but there are people like Black Kos who are trying to make this a space where more people feel welcome.

by AoT on Thu May 02, 2013 at 11:57:04 AM PDT

•  Three thoughts: (1+ / 0-)
                    just another vet

1. You didn't answer jbou's question.
                    2. Why hasn't this diary been added to Black Kos?
                    3. As someone to the left of Richard Nixon, I don't feel comfortable here either, but I'm not going to let that intimidate me.

by corvo on Thu May 02, 2013 at 01:31:06 PM PDT

•  BWD is white. n/t (1+ / 0-)
          corvo

When you triangulate everything, you can't even roll downhill...

by PhilJD on Thu May 02, 2013 at 05:11:42 PM PDT

•  Aha, so the reason that only 27% of (0+ / 0-)

the community is female, and 12% is non-white (if you believe those statistics) is because the white males are running the others off?

•  "because the white males are running the (1+ / 0-)
        sexgenderbody

others off?"

Yes and no. Not in the sense that I think you mean it. There aren't groups of white males intentionally running women and people of color off the site. The mechanism is more subtle than that. White male-ese, to use the language of this diary, is oppressive in a great many cases. It's also very obvious when a bunch of white dudes are responding to a person of color who is pissed about something someone else said.

Shit, this comment section is a great example. Why the hell would the diarist stick around after seeing all these people make fun of them for expressing an unpopular opinion that is specifically critiquing white masculine language? If there had been any chance that the comments were going to be a useful dialog and not a pile on then maybe the diarist would have had reason to stick around. But I never see that happen here. Or at least it's rare enough that I don't see it.

by AoT on Thu May 02, 2013 at 11:13:27 AM PDT

•  umm, what language are you using (1+ / 0-)
          jrooth

that isn't "white masculine"?

by corvo on Thu May 02, 2013 at 11:28:08 AM PDT

•  I do use white masculine language (0+ / 0-)

on a more regular basis than I should. I never pretended to be innocent. But one way I'm not doing that is by talking about these things and not just assuming that everything is fine.

Also regarding your sig. I just adopted a stray. She's the best dog of all time.

by AoT on Thu May 02, 2013 at 11:40:06 AM PDT

•  The King would argue with you on that one. n/t (0+ / 0-)

by corvo on Thu May 02, 2013 at 01:28:44 PM PDT

•  This is a political discussion forum. (4+ / 0-)

I expect diarists to stick around and discuss.

And frankly, I think it's a heck of a lot more interesting to discuss things with people who disagree with me - provided it's a genuine discussion and not just throwing talking points back and forth.

by jrooth on Thu May 02, 2013 at 11:53:53 AM PDT

•  The diarist is clearly an unhappy (1+ / 0-)
            just another vet

person who likes to complain and take a crap all over a community but then walk away, leaving everyone else alone with her shit.

•  His shit. Diarist is a man in RL. n/t (0+ / 0-)

by corvo on Thu May 02, 2013 at 08:05:40 PM PDT