View Diary: If you don't have anything nice to say, come, sit by me... (194 comments)

•  It's a silly post (23+ / 0-)

Especially if it's a response to this post.

She's telling us not to criticize the trends we see emerging at Daily Kos? In other words, STFU and stop being mean to the poor front pagers.

Of course we should be writing and reccing the kinds of posts we want to see here. We should also be speaking out if we don't like the overall direction of this site. Indeed, those two kinds of posts serve different purposes.

Consider the post that I assume inspired this one. I don't think anybody write more substantive posts about positive developments in the Democratic Party than jpmassar, so when he has a lot of credibility when he complains -- justly -- that the front-page focuses too much on GOP extremism and nuttiness. He's hardly backseat driving.

Also, not the irony of this post, in which she criticizes posts criticizing Daily Kos. Her post criticizes Daily Kos. (And there's nothing wrong with that.)

•  Relatedly-- (9+ / 0-)

Am I'm imagining it or is the juice dripping from this site?

I obviously have no numbers to back it up, just anecdotal evidence, like the fact that posts are getting on the rec list with like seven recs. The place just seems kind of...dead.

Something's not working here.

But I guess we're not supposed to talk about it.

•  I've noticed that too. (3+ / 0-)
        david mizner, markthshark, joanneleon

The auto program has a glitch?  I haven't seen any morbidity problems, takes me way too long to get through the diaries in areas important to me to see any lack of effort, intensity and worthwhile reading.

Like right now I should be getting in the truck to be on time for an appointment...

by Ginny in CO on Fri May 03, 2013 at 07:28:34 AM PDT

•  When the argument over the Chained CPI (1+ / 0-)
          Lucy2009

began to hurt the president, his supporters used the racist argument to shut down dissent (even though it's very difficult to find anyone on the DKOS who is a racist), and since then, they have been posting nothing but 'Obama's the greatest' diaries...they did the same thing right before the election and it turned this place into a 24/7 infomercial for Obama. The front page is starting to sound that way again.

If you read the comment sections on other progressive sites, then you might think the people posting comments are talking about a completely different president, such as the way they are hammering Obama in response to Eugene Robinson's latest article "Obama Goes Wobbly:"

Not takin it anymore • 15 hours ago

The title should have been" Obama takes another dive" . . he's a coward and not even close to being a progressive . . . he's a Rockefeller Republican and a huge disappointment . . . is it 2016 yet?

jacob garbo • 16 hours ago

Obama's doing what he's always done: What he's told. That's how he got his second term: Obeying his masters. Get it?

Art Brennan • 6 hours ago

He's been selling out since day 1. Wobbly?

isnamthere • 7 hours ago

"For reasons I cannot fathom, he took a pass."

Well, that only means that you haven't been paying attention and still believe Obama to be some kind of opposition to corporate rule.

blm1242 • 6 hours ago

While Mr. Obama is looking for the "forgotten veto pen", he might also look for his "missing virtue". They both have been sucked into the black hole of creating a legacy before you leave. Like W, Mr. Obama, you will be remembered, the question is How?

At some point, the members of the Democratic Party need to decide if they are going to support traditional Democratic values, or just support a President who is trying to destroy them.
      •  The "Obots" and "emoprogs" (2+ / 0-)
        david mizner, Lucy2009

have gone to friendlier confines where they don't have to encounter dissenting views as much.  And many Kossacks have also been lured away by Twitter.  It's not anything the front pagers have or haven't done, it's just the marketplace of politics for you.  When people get fed up with one forum, they go and find one more to their liking.

“Th’ noise ye hear is not th’ first gun iv a revolution. It’s on’y th’ people iv the United States batin’ a carpet.” - Mr. Dooley

by puakev on Fri May 03, 2013 at 08:31:26 AM PDT

•  How dare you (13+ / 0-)

criticize the site??!!

Every time you feel the urge to write a critical word about dkos or the party, you should put on a hair shirt and go out canvassing!

"Justice is a commodity"

by joanneleon on Fri May 03, 2013 at 08:52:13 AM PDT

•  I would place my money (1+ / 0-)
        vcmvo2

on a proprietary tweaking of the algorithm in order to avoid gaming of the rec list over "juice dripping from the site"...

at least with regard to those numbers you see on the rec list.

But then, I tend to pay attention to those kinds of details.

Words can sometimes, in moments of grace, attain the quality of deeds. --Elie Wiesel

by a gilas girl on Fri May 03, 2013 at 12:09:38 PM PDT

•  My comment below (17+ / 0-)

assumes that she is referring to the same diary. That diary makes a valid point as I stated in my comment.  Also if anyone here has the credibility of being an activist with boots on the ground, that diarist does.

"Growing up is for those who don't have the guts not to. Grow wise, grow loving, grow compassionate, but why grow up?" - Fiddlegirl

by gulfgal98 on Fri May 03, 2013 at 07:48:37 AM PDT

•  I was going to write the same thing. Thank you! (7+ / 0-)
    •  I second this (8+ / 0-)

and I would add that I wouldn't blame the diarist that this screed is written against if he came in here and offered a big FU, though I am generally fond of Angie and I'm really shocked that she felt the need to go off on that diarist, who has contributed a hell of a lot to this blog over the years, and I did not (before today) see her as a person who thinks that stomping down criticism is effective or wise.

If she had written a response diary that had some substantial responses to his criticisms, or offered some of her own, that would be one thing, but this was a total hair on fire shoot the messenger diary, that addressed none of his points really.

Just a big insulting STFU temper tantrum.

It amazes me that people think this is a good motivator.  The beatings will continue until morale improves!!

"Justice is a commodity"

by joanneleon on Fri May 03, 2013 at 08:49:14 AM PDT

•  The change isn't happening with (1+ / 0-)
      Urizen

the approach that is being taken.  That's the whole point of those other diaries.

"To recognize error, to cut losses, to alter course, is the most repugnant option in government." Historian Barbara Tuchman

by Publius2008 on Fri May 03, 2013 at 10:20:56 AM PDT

•  "She's telling us not to criticize the trends ... (11+ / 0-)
      Except that I did not.

I said:

Be the Change you want to See

It's the only way anything worth anything in this country ever gets started, because a few people who just couldn't sit there and do nothing got up and started doing something.

Contrary to what a number of people here have commented, I did not say I agreed or disagreed with the content of the diary which this morning is still on the Rec list - merely that the tone and type of diary which it is, is not the way to get the change on the site which that diarist apparently wants.

Want a higher tone and better subject matter more likely to bring the political change progressive want? Don't bitch about how bad things are, do something to change it.

Here at Daily Kos that translates into writing a diary designed to influence thinking and result in action - of which, since December 14, 2012, there have been a fuckton of diaries about #GunFail...

And we can see the tide is turning nationally about this after the failure of the first of the #GunRegulation Bills in the US Senate, and the subsequent Press coverage of the rise or fall in specific Senator's approve/disapprove ratings (like Kelly Ayote's falling because she voted "Nay" on the Bill).

So did our efforts here at Daily Kos help influence that changing tide? How many of us responded to site-sponsored pop-ups or email or front page diaries inducing us to Call our Senators and Demand a Vote? I did. Did you?

Because that is how Grassroots action happens, how the voices of the many rise up to drown out the loud voices of the wealthy few.

Which is hardly going to happen if we all just stand around telling each other to 'shut the fuck up'.

But it will if we work together to achieve great things.

#UnitedWeStandStronger is not just a hashtag - it's the idea our founding fathers used to build a rebellion into the longest lasting democratic Republic the world has seen in the modern era.

"I like paying taxes...with them, I buy Civilization"

by Angie in WA State on Fri May 03, 2013 at 11:07:21 AM PDT