View Diary: Tsarnaev Presumed Guilty: Government Leaks Ill-Gotten Incriminating Statements (180 comments)

•  That's Fair (15+ / 0-)

I should state explicitly that my comments are made as a private citizen, and are COMPLETELY UNRELATED to any influential role I may hold in the Department of Justice.

Too Folk For You. - Schmidting in the Punch Bowl - verb - Committing an unexpected and underhanded political act intended to "spoil the party."

by TooFolkGR on Fri May 03, 2013 at 06:56:22 AM PDT

•  Nor are you a member of the press. (11+ / 0-)

I'm assuming he's guilty as all fuck. And that's because his behavior was not that of an innocent man. And I'm within reason to assume that and state that.

The cold-blooded intellectual wankers around here seem to have lost the distinction between the courts, the prosecution, the press, and the public. It's disgusting to see the contortions they are now going through to support their pet issues, and make a nutty-liberal cause celebre out of a cold-blooded killer. You gotta be really really deep in the "government is evil" dip to be going down that path.

Non futuis apud Boston

by kenlac on Fri May 03, 2013 at 07:01:45 AM PDT

•  "nutty-liberal cause celebre"??? (4+ / 0-)

You mean ensuring that an American citizen actually be treated fairly and constitutionally, even if you believe it's undeserving?

Expecting our government to follow the rules is a "nutty-liberal cause"?  Is this where we go after the ACLU now?

Haven't the terrorists won if we suspend the rule of law?

You do understand that if they can do it with him, they can do it with any of us, right?

by gerrilea on Fri May 03, 2013 at 07:35:01 AM PDT

•  I stand by my comment. (4+ / 0-)
          TooFolkGR, erush1345, sviscusi, cryonaut

Non futuis apud Boston

by kenlac on Fri May 03, 2013 at 07:38:40 AM PDT

•  Of course you do. (0+ / 0-)

That damn piece of paper means nothing.

Ugh!

by gerrilea on Fri May 03, 2013 at 07:47:36 AM PDT

•  I stand by my comment because... (0+ / 0-)

...as of this moment I cannot think of a way to articulate what is going through my head without breaking the "don't be a dick" rule into millions of tiny little jagged shards.

Non futuis apud Boston

by kenlac on Fri May 03, 2013 at 07:52:12 AM PDT

•  Rofl, fair enough. (2+ / 0-)
                Lady Libertine, aliasalias

Take a deep breath and come back later and discuss it with me.

To be clear here, I'm not defending this person's alleged actions but his rights in our system of law.

by gerrilea on Fri May 03, 2013 at 08:32:02 AM PDT

•  I am with you on this much: (5+ / 0-)

Tsarnaev deserves his rights, and those rights are worth protecting.

What I object to is the contortions people are undertaking in an attempt to convince us those rights are being violated, both inherently, and in this case in particular.

Many of those contortions are emotional. It's quite clear to me that Tsarnaev is being tacitly made into a victim in this diary, in order to support the concept that government is determined to take our rights away. That's hogwash, and it's patent hogwash.

I have no patience for the Nancy Graces of the world, and I have no more for the anti-Nancy Graces of the world.

Non futuis apud Boston

by kenlac on Fri May 03, 2013 at 08:42:01 AM PDT

•  You see, I didn't get that from this diary at all. (3+ / 0-)
                    fuzzyguy, aliasalias, sneakers563

When the government selectively releases information about an ongoing case and investigation, it hurts us all.

It's really not a contortion to point it out.  They go after whistleblowers for releasing info they don't like but ignore the whistleblowers that undermine the very fabric of our justice system.

I really think there should be a law and consequences to prevent them from trying the case in the court of public opinion. It's become a feeding frenzy, imo.

It's clear we don't see it the same way, that's okay.  Is it emotional?  I guess it depends on how seriously you take the constitution.

It's clear he was denied rights because they've decided those rights are immaterial.

That is dangerous for us all, whether or not you see, understand or agree.

by gerrilea on Fri May 03, 2013 at 08:54:20 AM PDT

•  Actually, let me put a finer point on something: (1+ / 0-)
                    cryonaut

I don't believe Tsarnaev deserves his rights. (I don't think he deserves a damn thing other than misery and suffering until he one day, perhaps, arrives at the point of genuine, overwhelming contrition.)

But I still think he ought to get his rights, despite my own feelings about it. Because I've not let my emotions overwhelm my senses.

All I can say is that it's a damn good thing for our society that I am not a judge in this case.

You guys are going to have to pick a different poster boy for your "eroding civil liberties" campaign. Because this one ain't going nowhere.

Non futuis apud Boston

by kenlac on Fri May 03, 2013 at 08:57:45 AM PDT

•  rights are not earned (4+ / 0-)
                      kenlac, fuzzyguy, aliasalias, gerrilea

and we dont have to prove we deserve them.

The deserving part comes more toward the end of a trial, and he has the right to a fair one of those, as do all citizens.

Glad to see you're willing to grant them to this guy ... despite your emotions. You know, we dont make any promise that any of this civil liberties stuff is easy. It is not. In fact, it may be the hardest thing confronting us (as a nation) but deal with it we must.

If I can't dance I don't want to be part of your revolution. ~ Emma Goldman