View Diary: National Day of What? (36 comments)

•  Ha! (1+ / 0-)
    misslegalbeagle

You know what's so funny about an atheist?

Their certainty. At least agnostics are humble... they don't claim to know... but an atheist, especially the kind that harasses people of faith... that's the height of hypocrisy.

It's also the height of jerkitude, but I digress.

I'm afraid that my signature won't match the mood of my comment.

by heybuddy on Sat May 04, 2013 at 05:32:57 AM PDT

•  Harrasses people of faith? (1+ / 0-)
      pvasileff

Right. Asking people to provide evidence for their claims about the nature of the universe is "harrassment". Agnostics move towards atheism when their butts get sore from sitting on those fences, but "humble"?

The universe does have some hard and fast rules concerning existence. It's not an "anything goes" or "anything could be" type of place.  Therefore, it is perfectly reasonable to say there are no gods floating in the sky as is is reasonable to say that there are no fairies drinking milk in my garden. Now when someone shows me hard evidence of either gods or fairies, I have the ability to modify my atheism, but not until then.

You know what's funny about believers?  Not much.

•  Fish, (0+ / 0-)

It's harassment. There is something wrong with people who are determined to take other people's faith away. I'm not a christian, but I know it brings a lot of people a lot of comfort.

It takes a special person to do what y'all do.

I'm afraid that my signature won't match the mood of my comment.

by heybuddy on Sat May 04, 2013 at 08:51:43 AM PDT

•  "y'all"? (0+ / 0-)

I think you paint with too broad a brush.

Gondwana has always been at war with Laurasia.

by AaronInSanDiego on Sat May 04, 2013 at 10:57:40 AM PDT

•  Give me an example of any atheist making an (2+ / 0-)

attempt "to take" someone's faith away.  How does that work? Do atheists storm the government trying to shut down churches? You are confusing hard reasoned questions and advocating standards of evidence for "harrassment".  If you put a silly political idea into the public arena that has nothing to back it up factually, do you expect people to not criticize it because it's what you "believe"?   Religious opinions and ideas are no different.  If you tell people that there is a god or a savior or a heaven or a hell, these are unevidenced opinions and certainly open to scrutiny, especially when offered in a public forum.  Just because an idea, explanation or philosophy gives a person a sense of "comfort" it doesn't lift it to some kind of "untouchable" level that protects it from the application of skepticism.  For far too long, society has allowed religious opinions to enjoy a level of respect that has allowed the results of those opinions to cause all kinds of harm to the world. If you want to believe something that you can't prove, fine, just don't put it out in front of others and expect them just to accept it because it's religious.

•  Fish, the diarist. (0+ / 0-)

the diarist jumps on facebook and starts an argument about whether there should be a national day of prayer.

How interesting that you claim to hold logic and reason so dear, yet you play this game of semantics about the definition of harassment. Seeking out confrontation with the people you disagree with, on their spiritual day of prayer, about their spiritual day of prayer... nice.

I'm afraid that my signature won't match the mood of my comment.

by heybuddy on Sat May 04, 2013 at 02:04:33 PM PDT

•  Taking someone's faith away? Really? (0+ / 0-)

If someone's faith is strong, I hardly think a conversation on facebook is going to take it away. What are we, boogeymen?

Ron's congresswoman urged her constituents to join in a National Day of Prayer. I'm sorry, Ron's reminder that it was also a "day of reason" doesn't attack anyone at all, and in fact, he was attacked by someone for expressing his own views.

"Atheists are funny" - I keep coming back to this part of the conversation. It was assumed that Ron was an atheist because he wanted to celebrate reason. A little discouraging that someone of faith can't see what he's saying there - that in order to want reason, Ron must then be an atheist.

Not a bad argument for atheism, now, is it?

•  Present some evidence for an existence of a god (0+ / 0-)

or gods. I'm waiting.

I have actually listened to every conceivable argument for the existence of a supernatural being. There simply is no there, there.

Every religion in the world is positive it is the one true religion. That makes religious people atheists for all religions except one.

•  I'm agnostic. (0+ / 0-)

You are just as silly as you claim they are. You don't know crap but you are certain you do. The difference is, they have a good intent. You just want them to feel your emptiness.

I'm afraid that my signature won't match the mood of my comment.

by heybuddy on Sat May 04, 2013 at 08:55:13 AM PDT

•   your comment contains both (0+ / 0-)

a straw man argument and irony. I've never claimed certainty as an atheist. I've seen no evidence, including this comment, that self-proclaimed agnostics are any less arrogant, in general, than the rest of us. There is a certain arrogance in declaring oneself  more humble than everyone else.

Gondwana has always been at war with Laurasia.

by AaronInSanDiego on Sat May 04, 2013 at 10:54:45 AM PDT

•  words mean things, Aaron. (0+ / 0-)

Agnostic means you don't know.

Atheist means you do know, as in "I don't believe in God."

One leaves all options open, the other does not.

See the difference? Perhaps you mistakenly call yourself atheist when you mean agnostic. That would be the difference of certainty.

I'm afraid that my signature won't match the mood of my comment.

by heybuddy on Sat May 04, 2013 at 02:08:41 PM PDT

•  Not believing is not the same as (1+ / 0-)
          billybush

knowing for certain that something  is not true. Some people consider themselves  both atheistic and agnostic. When I identify as an atheist I am saying that I don't believe in a god or gods. The question of whether I know this with certainty or not isn't interesting to me, so I don't claim to be agnostic.

Gondwana has always been at war with Laurasia.

by AaronInSanDiego on Sat May 04, 2013 at 02:39:13 PM PDT