View Diary: Is there a God? (With Poll) (279 comments)

•  Of course there is a God. (0+ / 0-)

[Side note: I'm currently in the hospital.  Comments to my own may or may not be answered promptly, if at all.]

I am a Muslim; I believe in one God, Allah (swt), no more, no less.  The evidence for Allah's existence is always in front of your eyes, every second, every minute, every hour, 24/7/365.  All of you see the evidence - you can't, in fact, not see it - but almost all of you are willfully blind to the the evidence.  In that regard it's not His fault, it's yours.

Allah (swt) is outside of time and not within His own creation.  And, yet, He not only knows what is happening everywhere within the universe, He is closer to you than your own jugular vein.  He knows not only what you are doing, but what you are thinking as well.

Part of the problem, IMO, is that most of you are only familiar with Christianity's understanding of God.  Not to deliberately tweak the sensibilities of the local Christians, but Muslims in general, and I certainly do, consider the Christian understanding to be a flawed model.  To use an analogy, it's as if most Christians and Western non-believers think of God as a daisy, when Muslims realize that God is more comparable to a red rose.  But most of you couldn't be bothered to understand the correct model, being lazy and more interested in fighting over understanding the daisy.  So wallow in your ignorance, friends, for the whole lot of good that may come to you.

Muslims and tigers and bears, oh my!

by JDsg on Sun May 19, 2013 at 05:27:08 AM PDT

•  Does Allah wear a red suit and have a big (1+ / 0-)
      blueoasis

white beard???

"He knows not only what you are doing, but what you are thinking as well."

He sees you when you're sleeping, his knows when you're awake. He knows if you've been bad or good..."

So be good for goodness' sake!

By the way, I think your arrogance is shining far brighter than anyone's "ignorance" in these comments.

Note that while atheists do not agree with theists and ask them very hard questions, so far none of them have been rude or condescending.  And none of the theists so far has just reverted to damning the non-believers to hell.   You may want to discuss this with your "Allah".

•  Thanks for sharing your belief. (1+ / 0-)
      blueoasis

I was brought up with a Jewish concept of God, which has similarities to both Islamic and Christian concepts. What you describe is not unfamiliar to me, as I've heard similar teachings from some Jews, primarily Orthodox. I've also heard some Christians espouse similar views.

The fact that you see things this way doesn't mean it's the only way to see things. There is no "correct" model, or rather, people from all sorts of religious viewpoints see their model as "correct" and those of others to be "flawed". The fact that we don't agree with yours doesn't make us lazy or ignorant.

I hope your hospital stay is short, and that you recover from whatever health issue brought you there.

Gondwana has always been at war with Laurasia.

by AaronInSanDiego on Sun May 19, 2013 at 09:47:13 AM PDT

•  No offense, but on this first point... (0+ / 0-)
        ...I would say we will have to agree to disagree.  I and my fellow Muslims do believe we follow the correct model (and others can argue against that for all the good it will do them - none), and we would also say that others may not necessarily be following the correct model at all, regardless of what they think. From our perspective, religion is not a pick-and-choose game that one can follow willy-nilly without any disregard from the consequences.  It's not like you can come up with your own (un)theology and assume that you're going to be right.
        The fact that we don't agree with yours doesn't make us lazy or ignorant.
        But most people are in this matter, as I have seen for many years.  See jplanner's comment (#199) for a better expression of what I had in mind at the time.
        Thank you.  Still in, and have no idea when I'm leaving just yet.

Muslims and tigers and bears, oh my!

by JDsg on Mon May 20, 2013 at 01:15:22 AM PDT

•  in reference to your analogy (1+ / 0-)
      blueoasis

Whether God is a daisy or a rose or some other flower, I don't believe in Him. Shakespeare wrote, "a rose by any other name would smell as sweet". But it would still be a rose, not God.

Gondwana has always been at war with Laurasia.

by AaronInSanDiego on Sun May 19, 2013 at 11:51:05 AM PDT

•  The use of that analogy, any analogy really... (0+ / 0-)

...is problematic.  If I had been speaking to, say, an all-Muslim audience, I never would have used such an analogy in the first place.  But to try to make the point among a group of people whose understanding of theological concepts ranges from sophisticated to crude, I have to use something that everyone can understand.

To take the analogy literally is to lose the point entirely.  This is why Muslims don't use animal imagery or statues in their artwork.  It distracts from our understanding of Allah (swt) and creates the opportunity to create innovations (bida) in our worship that would only lead us astray, like so many other people in other religions have done.

Muslims and tigers and bears, oh my!

by JDsg on Mon May 20, 2013 at 12:35:11 AM PDT

•  So who created Allah? (0+ / 0-)

How did such an amazing being just come to be?

•  Have you considered... (0+ / 0-)

... that some of us are atheists from entirely non-Christian perspectives?

•  I live in Asia. (0+ / 0-)

Most atheists here are "from entirely non-Christian perspectives," Christianity here being very much a minority religion.  So what's your point?

Muslims and tigers and bears, oh my!

by JDsg on Mon May 20, 2013 at 06:16:22 PM PDT

•  Your original claim ... (0+ / 0-)

... that we all were responding to only a Christian idea of deity is not accurate.

•  On DKos, that statement is largely correct... (0+ / 0-)

...as at least one other person noted.  I do know that, in general, the subset of atheists who come from non-Christian backgrounds would be much larger; however, most atheists here come from a Christian (or Jewish) background. Atheists from non-Christian/non-Jewish backgrounds rarely comment here or, if they do, they don't normally identify themselves as such.

Muslims and tigers and bears, oh my!

by JDsg on Tue May 21, 2013 at 12:58:50 AM PDT

•  I live in Asia. (0+ / 0-)

Most atheists here are "from entirely non-Christian perspectives," Christianity being very much a minority religion in this region.  So what's your point?

Muslims and tigers and bears, oh my!

by JDsg on Mon May 20, 2013 at 06:19:22 PM PDT