View Diary: A crazy man with a "fighting rifle" (133 comments)

•  I watched a good news show (8+ / 0-)

The show covered a little undercover journalism bit they did.

If I recall correctly, there were people in a class.  One of them had been told that something would happen.  He was given a pistol.  He wasn't told WHEN something would happen.  So the intruder breaks in, everyone freaks out...

Of course, the person with the gun in the class never was able to kill the shooter.  They were given paint ball guns, so they could see where the shots hit.

In fact, the person actually shot their classmates on accident.

I don't remember what the show was. It was some normal news magazine show.  Some of the people had a large amount of experience with guns.

Even with daily practice in good conditions, the police don't hit their targets either many times. Even then, a police officer is supposed to be aware of any disturbances at all times.  So, the officer should be more prepared than your regular schmoe in the crowd.

Streichholzschächtelchen

by otto on Sat May 04, 2013 at 03:42:34 PM PDT

•  It's hard to hit anything with a handgun (3+ / 0-)
      mookins, Dirtandiron, Dogs are fuzzy

when the target is more than 20' away. This nut had a long gun, but apparently (and fortunately) was too freaked out to take aim.

Did you ver notice how har it is totype accurately on an iPad?

by RudiB on Sat May 04, 2013 at 04:09:14 PM PDT

•  Cops Often Shoot Right Into The Ground (2+ / 0-)
        mookins, RudiB

They simply lose track of the front sight and will dump half a clip into the ground a couple yards in front of them.

The best pistol shot I ever made was hitting a soda can dead center with a 22 revolver with a 4" barrel at 100 yards on the first shot. I said "Well that's it. I'm ready to go home."

With the same gun I could hit golf balls at 20 ft without using the sights by shooting at them on a dusty road.  It was about as hard as hitting it with a laser pointer.

There’s always free cheddar in a mousetrap, baby

by bernardpliers on Sat May 04, 2013 at 04:31:46 PM PDT

•  He just sprayed bullets around, just like they (5+ / 0-)

do in the movies.  He didn't actually take any aim at all.

Which is to say, too many people think life is like a movie or video game. The reality is a heck of a lot different.

by YucatanMan on Sat May 04, 2013 at 05:29:21 PM PDT

•  I don't know if that's correct. (0+ / 0-)

To me, when I watched it, it looked like his first volley was aimed squarely at the driver's seat of the cruiser, where I believe Officer Savage was still sitting. That may have given Officer Thomas the split second she needed to move toward cover and begin returning fire.

"Speaking for myself only" - Armando

by JR on Sat May 04, 2013 at 09:12:04 PM PDT

•  I saw that too. (3+ / 0-)
      mookins, Dirtandiron, OleHippieChick

Of course the problem is that that was a study so we know that those things can't be trusted.

Everyone on the right thikns that they would be like the kids in Red Dawn.

WOLVERINES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most of the people taking a hard line against us are firmly convinced that they are the last defenders of civilization... The last stronghold of mother, God, home and apple pie and they're full of shit! David Crosby, Journey Thru the Past.

by Mike S on Sat May 04, 2013 at 04:13:34 PM PDT