View Diary: Hey Pat, the last time I checked I haven't murdered, raped or stolen from anyone (81 comments)

•  theKgirls, one thing I'd recommend reading (2+ / 0-)
    theKgirls, commonmass

is C.S. Lewis The Efficacy of Prayer. It's one of the best discussions of the issue I've ever found. Like you, I am unsure what I believe, but I am a great fan of critical thinking.

Those who do not understand history are condemned to repeat it... in summer school.

by cassandracarolina on Mon May 06, 2013 at 12:33:21 PM PDT

•  Y'see (7+ / 0-)

I'd call that typical Lewis Christian propaganda. Have Kgirl read it, sure, but make sure she follows up with some Dawkins or Hitchens. Or, at the very least, George Carlin's routine where he talks about getting his prayers to God and prayers to Joe Pesci answered at the same rate :D

"Maybe: it's a vicious little word that could slay me"--Sara Bareilles

by ChurchofBruce on Mon May 06, 2013 at 12:58:30 PM PDT

•  Lots of very intelligent people (2+ / 0-)
        The Marti, sfbob

misunderstand the purpose of prayer.

What is truth? -- Pontius Pilate

by commonmass on Mon May 06, 2013 at 01:54:00 PM PDT

•  God answers all prayers........ (2+ / 0-)
          mmacdDE, sfbob

Sometimes, the answer is, "No."

Not out of spite or anger, but out of inifinite knowledge of what we need, as opposed to what we want.

Is that close to what you mean?

Hugs,
          Marti

We cannot call ourselves a civilised society if we refuse to protect the weakest among us.

by The Marti on Mon May 06, 2013 at 03:04:28 PM PDT

•  Why does god "need" people to suffer? (3+ / 0-)
            swampyankee, theKgirls, The Marti

I'm not trying to be insensitive, but I just can't understand it. God couldn't come up with any other way?

When we stop putting leaders from the past up on pedestals and ignoring their flaws, we can start seeing our present leaders for what they really are.

by PhillyJeff on Mon May 06, 2013 at 10:59:11 PM PDT

•  God doesnt' "need" people to suffer. This is (0+ / 0-)

where free will comes into play.

We make choices, which have consequences.  Sure, God could make it all better, but what would we learn?

And no, you didn't seem insensitive.  Not at all.  These are questions we all wrestle with.  I've found a few answers that make sense and work for me.  But I don't have all the answers, not by a long chalk!  It's a constant learning experience, this crazy little thing called Life.

Marti

by The Marti on Tue May 07, 2013 at 06:27:35 AM PDT

•  I don't think free will solves anything (0+ / 0-)

When people are miraculously saved, people see it as god's work. But when horrible things happen, it's due to free will. God gets credit for all of the good things, but none of the bad.

The other problem I think of is that if humans can intervene and mess with god's plan, how do we know that god's plan is actually good? There could be an evil god that wants suffering to happen, but our free will actually causes good things to happen. I don't know why that scenario would be less plausible than a good god, other than we wouldn't want it to be the case.

by PhillyJeff on Tue May 07, 2013 at 09:03:55 PM PDT

• Rescued (18)
  • Media (16)
  • Politics (16)
  • Environment (15)
  • 2016 (15)
  • Texas (15)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site