View Diary: Gun Control Works So Well (228 comments)

•  The logic is ridiculous. They'd have us do nothing (7+ / 0-)

about anything unless it solved everything. It's like some demented, passive aggressive nihilism.

•  You lost the first round, now what do you suggest? (1+ / 0-)
      PavePusher

Continuing your temper tantrum of ad hominem's will not solve the problems.

Maybe we should start from the beginning and define the problem.  I view our problem(s) as one created by the policies coming out of DC that have oppressed millions forcing us all into abject poverty creating the conditions for violence.  Policies that were codified when we lost control of the House in the 90's due to the first AWB.

You'd have the argument be only about "gun violence"...a canard because it's actually gone down in the last 40 yrs.

You've been distracted by the shinning objects and fail to admit that we destroyed ourselves by allowing the republicans to take control of our government.

They stripped social programs and started unfunded resource wars, shipped our living wage jobs to slave-labored nations, increased the racist war on drugs and the accompanying social destruction it brought and then you blame it all on the gun?

Who you kidding?

Now you try to label me to avoid responsibility.  What's it gotten you?

NOTHING.

I expected rational minds to accept defeat and move onto things that will actually help all of us.  Say like ending NAFTA, GATT and our participation in the WTO, creating living wage jobs and funding social programs that will allow us to remain in power WHILE doing the right thing.

What a novel idea, Democrats actually doing the right thing for a change.

You just want the easy answer.  What would happen if you got every firearm in America removed?  Well, sure there wouldn't be any gun deaths, but would that stop people from killing each other by other means?  Would it stop the 600,000+ attempted suicides each year?  Would it address the despair and poverty that kill 133,000 American each and every year?

NOPE.

Get back to me when you wake up and want to discuss these things honestly.

So much for that "passive aggressive" bullshit, I was being polite.

Now you can either shit or get off the pot.  And stay out of the way from those of us that will demand the right things be done.  Those of us that will get more AND better Democrats elected, not the corporate lapdogs that pretend at "caring", just enough to the next election.

by gerrilea on Tue May 07, 2013 at 01:13:09 PM PDT

•  "Accept defeat?" (1+ / 0-)
        TFinSF

Because a bill failed to pass the house?  We should--what--all go crawl up under a rock whimpering and moaning?

What political process are you part of?  That's not the one I'm part of.

You really amp up the hyperbole when people don't agree with you, don't you?

You seem deeply concerned about poverty and mental health issues.  I agree with you.  Let's continue to work on those.

One is not exclusive of the other.  That's all several commenters, including myself, are trying to say here.

And please, dial back the righteous indignation.

I blog about my daughter with autism at her website

by coquiero on Tue May 07, 2013 at 03:48:34 PM PDT

•  Just saw this posting, what you perceive I'm (1+ / 0-)
          PavePusher

saying and what I've said are not the same things.

The bills failed the Senate, not the House.  You are whimpering and moaning and still playing your Bingo Game because you will not address these issues maturely.  Playing games isn't productive or mature.

And you all still ignore the fact that we can accomplish the same things without gun control but for whatever reasons REFUSE TO.

Then you tell me to dial back the indignation I feel at your folly?  PEOPLE are still dying.  WASN'T the argument about "saving the children"???

Clearly when it comes down to it, it wasn't about saving anyone and I can only conclude you only want the guns and all that moral righteousness of stopping "gun violence" was a red herring.

WE can still do things that will save lives and all you can do is attack me personally, even after you lost the vote on gun control?

I don't believe any of you any longer.  I will be printing these replies out and saving them as a reference point for any future "discussions"...  After the next mass shootings or needless and preventable deaths...

You were given the opportunity to make a difference and chose not to.

by gerrilea on Wed May 08, 2013 at 05:39:26 AM PDT

•  I can't take you seriously (1+ / 0-)
            TFinSF

Your comments are silly and meaningless.  I don't say this to attack you, I'm just saying that your comments are so over the top and out of order as to be comical.

You seem to conflate every commenter who would like any measure of gun control into one person.  Until you get a more nuanced way of relating here, I'm afraid it's hopeless.

I blog about my daughter with autism at her website

by coquiero on Wed May 08, 2013 at 07:50:02 AM PDT

•  Do you mean I must use your techniques of (2+ / 0-)
              PavePusher, wishbone

false logic including poisoning the well, ad homimens, innuendo and sly insults? Is that the "nuanced way of relating" you want?

Didn't you conflate my position as being like a rightwing goofball?

Oh, that's right, you did.

Didn't you then accuse me of "hanging with the wrong crowd" and quote your dear Mother?

Oh, that's right, you did.

Now you say trying to save lives by other means than your "precious" gun control is "silly and meaningless".

If that don't take the cake here.

I took the time to explain my position in detail and you this is your answer.

I guess all you really wanted was the guns after all.

Have a great day.

by gerrilea on Wed May 08, 2013 at 08:10:02 AM PDT

•  As my kids say (0+ / 0-)

whatev's.

You haven't explained anything!  All you've done is yell at me and tell me what I think.  Incorrectly, of course.

But you are convinced that you are righteous and I am a gun grabber, so that's fine.

The fact is your opinion of me has no bearing on anything, so as I said, whatev's.

I blog about my daughter with autism at her website

by coquiero on Wed May 08, 2013 at 08:43:40 AM PDT

•  Your entire comment is effectively (2+ / 0-)
        coquiero, TFinSF

a word salad of incorrect assumptions and assertions about what I believe, how I engage politics, and sundry disjointed observations about the state of affairs in our political discourse.

It merits no deeper consideration or thought, for much the same reasons as a two-year old's response to mommy telling him he can't have another cookie merits no deeper consideration or thought by the mother.

• Recommended (174)
  • Rescued (21)
  • 2016 (21)
  • Racism (20)
  • Media (20)
  • Environment (20)
  • Barack Obama (19)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site