View Diary: Game of Thrones: 'The Climb' recap (142 comments)

•  What's up with that repellant torture scene? (3+ / 0-)
    RiveroftheWest, lyvwyr101, Leftcandid

Think it went on a little long? I ended up fast forwarding through it. In general, I thought last night's episode was one of the weakest, with barely any plot advancement.

"You can die for Freedom, you just can't exercise it"

by shmuelman on Mon May 06, 2013 at 07:52:54 PM PDT

•  Waste Of Time Better Used For Gratuitous Nudity nt (5+ / 0-)

No wait, nudity is never gratuitous....except for "About Schmidt"......

There’s always free cheddar in a mousetrap, baby

by bernardpliers on Mon May 06, 2013 at 08:06:18 PM PDT

•  Being the 6th episode of the season (2+ / 0-)
      rabel, lyvwyr101

I sensed it was more of a "put everyone in their place for the build up to the season finale" kind of episode. Setting the board, so to speak.

Hopefully there will be some bigger advances next week. And dragons.

30, m, MI-14. Make Rick Snyder a one-term nerd.

by Silvan Elf on Mon May 06, 2013 at 08:16:41 PM PDT

•  yeah, that was (1+ / 0-)
      lyvwyr101

gratuitous. and with little information provided. what was the point?

•  Well, it confirmed that (1+ / 0-)
        lyvwyr101

the guy torturing Theon is a dark, twisted, mf.  Also, we don't know who he even is, who his lord is (assuming he himself isn't the local lord), or which king he's actually fighting for.  I suppose it's Robb, but at this point I don't know if anything he says is true.

And also, we know that Theon is right and royally screwed.  I can't imagine we'll see much more of this, now that we can pretty much see the endgame.  The question of course is: Now that the torturer knows that Bran and Rickon are actually alive, what will happen to them?

Conservatives need to realize that their Silent Moral Majority is neither silent, nor moral, nor a majority.

by nominalize on Mon May 06, 2013 at 10:40:59 PM PDT

•  All those Theon scenes are a waste of (3+ / 0-)
      lyvwyr101, shmuelman, newjeffct

limited screen time. I can't help but think someone in charge in this production enjoys torture, or assumes the audience wants it, either of which is disgusting. Theon has no part to play in moving the plot along at all until the last book (so far) which is a long ways off from where the tv show is now.

•  so you are (2+ / 0-)
        OceanDiver, lyvwyr101

surprised that fans of these books are into brutality???

and by fans, i include the producers.

lol

•  There's war, and low tech violence, which means (2+ / 0-)
          lyvwyr101, shmuelman

people get mangled and slaughtered, sure. It's a very dark story. But even in its own universe there's a point to the violence meaning moving the story along. I've read all the books, and that's how it's handled there. Even implying cruel actions, which can be scarier (like Cersi's Dr Mengele).

So you may be right about the producers. And SOME of the fans.

•  i've read and reread the books (2+ / 0-)
            OceanDiver, lyvwyr101

but not as a fan

it is a horrible addiction and martin is a very creepy man who i never, ever want to be around.

the violence towards women especially is in the books is very, very sick and his readership is into that violence for sure. the work appeals to a certain kind of adolescent male who wants to dominate women.  that some of them are out and out into torture is obvious.

i've been on the boards too, so i have a good idea of what they have to say.

but knowing what happens to theon is necessary to the story later on and we can't do the flashback in his mind on screen.  that said, they are definitely dragging the torture on in a  titillating way and i have seen people on the boards who already have posted they could watch those scenes all night.

•  I'm a fan and I am NOT into brutality (5+ / 0-)

I'm a woman in my early 60's, and while I flinch at a lot of the brutality in the books, especially towards women, I see it as consistent with the world Martin has created.  Take a look at The Tudors if you want to see what brutality really looked like in  actual history - Martin is simply echoing what humans have done to each other over the ages.

As to your assertion that Martin is "creepy" - well, I read his blog, and I've seen a couple of interviews with him, and he doesn't strike me as creepy at all.  He's a staunch liberal, politically, loves and talks about his wife quite often, and just generally seems like someone I'd definitely enjoy meeting and getting to know.

You're maligning a lot of people you know nothing about when you say the fans of the books are adolescent males who are into torture.  Seriously.  That's nuts.

•  not at all (0+ / 0-)

i have a good handle concerning how diverse that group is and i have a good handle concerning what is really going on in the books and i plan a diary on it.

i admit i am addicted; that doesn't mean i have to deny what these narratives are doing.

i don't care a whit what his stated politics are, not a whit.

as i mentioned, i've been on the boards, actually quite a lot.

read this:

•  Maybe 'tis the "boards" (0+ / 0-)

that are "creepy."

"I love this goddamn country, and we're going to take it back."

-- Saul Alinsky

by Seneca Doane on Tue May 07, 2013 at 08:28:59 PM PDT

•  They've been doing some time-shifting of events (3+ / 0-)

As a concession to the logistics of creating a TV show.  Things that occur in a later book may be moved to seasons that theoretically correspond to an earlier book.

I have my suspicions that some things which seem to be getting disproportionate screen time now are being show because Martin told the producers that they are necessary to set up things that occur in books yet to be published/written.

In the case of Theon, I do not believe the intent is to cater to a torture fetish.  I think the intent is to manipulate the audience into regretting any wishes that bad things would happen to Theon.  It's supposed to be as shocking and contrary to expectations as Ned Stark losing his head.

•  It may also be a commentary on torture itself (0+ / 0-)

... and not a positive one, either.

"I love this goddamn country, and we're going to take it back."

-- Saul Alinsky

by Seneca Doane on Tue May 07, 2013 at 08:29:47 PM PDT

•  I agree (1+ / 0-)
        Seneca Doane

However, with acting contracts the way they are, if they did things like they did in the books (Theon disappears at the end of book 2 and then reappears in book 5), they might have to hire a new actor to play Theon 3 years later.

So, I think they want to keep the actor around, so are playing out the scenes that were implied through flashback in book 5, instead of having to have a long expositionary scene that explains Theon being tortured.

"I'm not a member of an organized political party - I'm a Democrat." Will Rogers

by newjeffct on Tue May 07, 2013 at 10:26:24 AM PDT