View Diary: I've called 911 and CPS, now what do I do? (101 comments)

•  First maybe think about it freaking you out . (1+ / 0-)
    tharu1

Do you know the photographer Sally Mann ?
    If not maybe do some research on her work .

If you went to a nude beach and everyone was sans clothing ?

If you were here in Santa Cruz and you saw someone completely nude walking around and you knew that it was perfectly legal , what would you do ?

Drop the name-calling MB 2/4/11 + Please try to use ratings properly! Kos 9/9/11 + Trusted Users have a responsibility to police the general tenor... Hunter 5/26/06

by indycam on Mon May 06, 2013 at 09:36:59 PM PDT

•  I suppose it might depend upon whether (6+ / 0-)

this was a nude neighborhood?  I'm sorry, indy, but as I said below, I think most people would wonder about why this child is outside on a public avenue, sitting in the nude.  Not just once, but often.

I don't think it's fair to make as though this diarist is an alarmist or an odd-ball for asking her questions about this child.

I would rather spend my life searching for truth than live a single day within the comfort of a lie. ~ John Victor Ramses

by KayCeSF on Mon May 06, 2013 at 10:02:45 PM PDT

•  s/he never said the kid was in the street (3+ / 0-)
        tharu1, kbman, misslegalbeagle

the kid was near the street in their own property.  And the diarist was told by the cops this IS normal behaviour for the kid and they are aware of the situation - and the parents are dealing with it.

So it does seem pretty alarmist to me.

And we sail and we sail and we never see land, just the rum in the bottle and a pipe in my hand...

by Mortifyd on Mon May 06, 2013 at 10:23:31 PM PDT

•  The police never said it was normal, (1+ / 0-)
          KayCeSF

just that they had been called about it before.

You can go almost anywhere you want if you just keep walking

by tharu1 on Mon May 06, 2013 at 10:29:54 PM PDT

•  they told you by your own report the kid is (5+ / 0-)

"special" and the parents are working on it - yes?  And they've been called before... so for this kid - it IS normal right now.

by Mortifyd on Mon May 06, 2013 at 10:34:34 PM PDT

•  Ah. I didn't get that the police had been called (1+ / 0-)
            tharu1

before.  But then, how would you have known that anyway.

In any event, I believe you did the right thing.  It is off your conscience if anything untoward happens to that child.

by KayCeSF on Tue May 07, 2013 at 09:53:50 AM PDT

•  I didn't mean to imply she did say (1+ / 0-)
          tharu1

that the child was "in" the street.  I meant the child was sitting or standing in the yard "on" trafficked street.

Nevertheless, my remarks stand.

by KayCeSF on Tue May 07, 2013 at 09:35:55 AM PDT

•  Is Santa Cruz a "nude neighborhood?" (1+ / 0-)
        tharu1

If you saw someone walking around nude downtown on the mall day after day and you knew it was legal , what would you do ?

by indycam on Tue May 07, 2013 at 07:01:34 AM PDT

•  At what age in your opinion (1+ / 0-)
        tharu1

does covering up become the rule ?
        I'm assuming that nude babies isn't a bad thing in your opinion .
        But maybe I'm wrong and you think never ?

by indycam on Tue May 07, 2013 at 07:22:41 AM PDT

•  Nudity is less a problem for a child ALONE (2+ / 0-)
          ladybug53, tharu1

and often on a public street without parents attending.  You have overreached about his nudity in a way that is ridiculous.  I'm sure if diarist had seen adults attending the child rather than seeing the child, day to day alone, intuition might have led diarist to believe adults were supervising and left this situation alone.  But if I read this correctly, she did not see adults around. I'm repeating myself.

I think most psychologists would say a child beyond a certain age might should be clothed in public, because being nude in societal norms and with pedophiles and other crazies around, a child is left vulnerable to them.  Most especially of adults are not around to supervise and protect the child.  And my intuition says to me, something is wrong that the parents are leaving that child unattended.

I'm done.

by KayCeSF on Tue May 07, 2013 at 10:01:47 AM PDT

•  Eh ? (0+ / 0-)
            You have overreached about his nudity in a way that is ridiculous.
            I've clearly not overreached . Saying that its not a problem isn't an overreach .
            Clothing does not stop "pedophiles and other crazies" nor does it make a child less "vulnerable".
            You are coming close to saying the clothing was the reason .
            A that line of thinking has gone the way of the Dodo .
            Clothing or the lack of clothing is never the reason .

If this child was at a nudist colony and walked around all day and all night nude , would you say its a problem because "pedophiles and other crazies" ? Would you say that he is "vulnerable" ?

Lets change the lack of clothing to the child just wearing a speedo . Does that make the child safe from "pedophiles and other crazies" and less "vulnerable" ?

I think most psychologists would say
            I didn't ask what "most psychologists would say". I asked you at what age should a person cover up and never be seen naked in public ?
            If a child of 5 changes into a swim suit in public ,
            in full view of everyone around ?
            How about 10 year old ?

by indycam on Tue May 07, 2013 at 11:03:10 AM PDT

•  I meant "more" a problem for an alone child, (0+ / 0-)

but whatever.

Clothing isn't the issue, I keep saying that, for healthy people who have no issue with nudity and as I said above and will repeat, you do not assume what triggers pedophiles (or any loon)..... WHEN A CHILD IS ALONE AND UNSUPERVISED.

I'm tired of this conversation.

You and a few others are stuck on making others here guilty of having preconceived notions about nudity.  Instead, we should be talking about an unnsupervised "special" child, standing vulnerable in view of a public avenue, with WHO KNOWS WHO going by and viewing the unsupervised child.

So keep up beating the dead horse about what I feel or anyone else here feels about nudity, the age of nudity, and I'll end this conversation here.

Except, how rhetorically asked, would you feel if often you drove by and daily saw an unsupervised elderly woman standing in public view of traffic?  I think you might worry the woman maybe had dementia and should be supervised.  Would you call the police?

by KayCeSF on Tue May 07, 2013 at 11:48:55 AM PDT

•  So nudity has nothing to do with it , (0+ / 0-)

its just that the child was unsupervised ?
                On his parents place ?
                If this child had clothes on , a speedo lets say , would you still be concerned by the unsupervised child ?

I went through most of my childhood unsupervised .

So lets say there was a privacy fence around the property ...
                Or the child was not , as you put it , "  "special" child,
                would it then be no big deal to be nude on the swing by the street ?

How about that child ,  "special" child,  nude with a parent within eyesight ?

I see this every day and I have never called the cops .
                WHEN A CHILD IS ALONE AND UNSUPERVISED. WHO KNOWS WHO
                Yelling does not help .

by indycam on Tue May 07, 2013 at 12:34:22 PM PDT

•  You're being belligerent and you damn well know it (0+ / 0-)

You aren't reading all I've written on this board, you are misconstruing everything I've said.

I'm done with ya, indy.

by KayCeSF on Tue May 07, 2013 at 05:36:39 PM PDT

•  funny (2+ / 0-)
        Eyesbright, tharu1

because the diarist comes off as both an alarmist and an odd-ball :>

Deficits don't matter, jobs do.

by aguadito on Tue May 07, 2013 at 08:01:30 AM PDT

•  But I'm not getting nude beach from this. (7+ / 0-)

I think it's entirely reasonable to wonder why a kid is sitting around naked in the front yard in an area where, well, that isn't quite done.

No, we don't all need to be utter conformists, but I would find it odd, too. And I don't think it's strange to find it strange and possibly disturbing for a child in an area where the expectation is that one will wear pants.

My son hated them, BTW. I sang "when we're going out, the people will shout, 'you gotta have pants' " through much of his childhood. He's 12 now, so I'm sure he'd love me sharing that!

So I get the clothing difficulty. Lived it. But I also get the meet some standard of societal behavior idea. In Ohio, no, the boy could not go out naked and still be in my custody.

I think it is reasonable to both sympathize with the parents and the poster here.

www.stacysmusings.wordpress.com