View Diary: The Law of Unintended Consequences: Threaten the 2nd Amendment, Alienate the Military - Part II (187 comments)

•  Frank's Still here... (4+ / 0-)

And just as relevant...

/snark

I don't blame Christians. I blame Stupid. Which sadly is a much more popular religion these days.

by detroitmechworks on Tue May 07, 2013 at 03:04:17 PM PDT

•  Oh, I know he's here... (2+ / 0-)
      LilithGardener, terrybuck

I just haven't heard anyone else trot out the "Bill Clinton said in 1997..." trope.

Calling other DKos members "weenies" is a personal insult and therefore against site rules.

by Bob Johnson on Tue May 07, 2013 at 03:10:48 PM PDT

•  If only I could have come up with a 25 point (0+ / 0-)

reason to support gun rights in Bingo form.

Fucking. Loved. That. Diary.
      Hats off to ya.

Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.

by FrankRose on Tue May 07, 2013 at 03:40:50 PM PDT

•  Let me fix that for you... (1+ / 0-)
        Glen The Plumber

If only I could have come up with a 25 point cheat sheet that has all my NRA talking points neatly wrapped up so I don't have to make them.

/there ya go!

by detroitmechworks on Tue May 07, 2013 at 04:00:51 PM PDT

•  I made one a while back. (1+ / 0-)
        FrankRose

•  Good effort. (4+ / 0-)

Execution needs a little work.

See, there's no center square, so it kinda ruins the effect.

Repetition of a joke works better in odd numbers.  3, 5, or 7 are the usual Comedy archetypes.  Oh, and space em out, because UNEXPECTED tactics are the hallmark of comedy.

Overall, I see where you were going with it, but unfortunately you delved into pure strawman with half of it, which can be funny... but works better if you can go for hyperbole.

I would suggest, a joke about "If you can't hit your target with ONE bullet, you're a lousy shot."  If you're trying to mock magazine limits.

For the ones about self defense, for example "Magic Police will save you!" would have been much funnier.

Look forward to the improved version.

by detroitmechworks on Tue May 07, 2013 at 04:25:16 PM PDT

•  Rofl. (2+ / 0-)
            FrankRose, DavidMS

The anti-gun echo chamber here doesn't really deserve more than the effort I spent on that card.

And there's no need for a free space - I just didn't feel like slogging through the time needed to expand that thing out to encompass just about all the different arguments the anti folks toss around... Which would have ended up with maybe a nine-square grid.

And none of them would end up putting a dent in deaths, because you never address the fact that the fault lies in US ourselves.

I just got done listening to an account of the german / russian front of ww2, where things were done on both sides that were in many ways worse than the concentration camps, where the single 2.5 month battle of stalingrad had more russian or german casualties then the usa sustained in the entire war. It wasn't the guns that caused that suffering, the fault lies in people. Taking away the guns didn't stop the suffering and death, it just changed the method from a shot to the head to getting sprayed with water to freeze on the ground, not to mention the effects of the 2-plus year long siege of leningrad where relatively few died of "gun violence" but instead starved and were eaten after death.

The fault lies not with the contents of the hand, but with the contents of the heart.

You can either zen meditate on that or call out a square on your own gunho card. Me, I've got some anime to watch. Ciao.

•  This was contructive criticism. (2+ / 0-)

But once again, the point was completely missed.

A NINE square grid could have been very funny, if you had taken the effort to actually do more research than simply repeating the same joke with very minor modifications, as you did with your six.

C'mon man!  Don't concede a valuable tool!  Humor works, if you're willing to put in a little work!

by detroitmechworks on Tue May 07, 2013 at 05:18:48 PM PDT

•  Your diary was definitely funny. (0+ / 0-)

Just not for the reasons you think it was (hint: has something to do with listing 25 different points, while claiming "the same argument")
            Downright fucking hilarious as a matter of fact.

Too bad you're no longer doing the 49 point card you claimed you were going to do.

Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.

by FrankRose on Tue May 07, 2013 at 06:00:16 PM PDT

•  Frank, you've been harping on the same joke... (3+ / 0-)
              terrybuck, Glen The Plumber, coquiero

for almost 2 months now.

I do understand that you've never actually worked on a comedy bit before, and you don't quite grasp the concept of a joke that might have worked but was rejected for a simpler and more elegant solution.

But hey, you know, there is a trend in modern humor to repeating the same catch phrase over, and over again...

Course, in the political arena, there's a different name for that...

/snark