View Diary: Rush just couldn't help himself: Ohio victims, the smear begins (211 comments)

•  you don't kill brown recluses? (6+ / 0-)

cuz if they ever make it up here they are the first on my hit list

Bumper sticker seen on I-95; "Stop Socialism" my response: "Don't like socialism? GET OFF the Interstate highway!"

by Clytemnestra on Wed May 08, 2013 at 10:04:18 AM PDT

•  I've never personally come across one (3+ / 0-)

We do have some brown spiders I know as wolf spiders that many people call brown recluse, but they're really not dangerous. Luckily I'm a bit east of the recluse's range.

•  the brown recluse is everywhere in the eastern USA (6+ / 0-)

and has been for 30 years. I have encountered 3 of them, bitten by one and it was terrible. I refer to it as the summer my face fell off. So yes, I would dispose of them. But other critters are not harmful, in fact they are intelligent and curious.

•  So true...you've got to watch out for them. (5+ / 0-)

I know a handful of people who've developed necrotizing fasciitis after getting bitten by a recluse.  I typically let spiders be or relocate them, but anything that looks remotely like a recluse gets squished and flushed.  It sucks to be a tan-colored spider in my house.

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. -George Carlin

-7.88, -7.64

by socindemsclothing on Wed May 08, 2013 at 04:47:45 PM PDT

•  well gee thanks for removing that little piece of (1+ / 0-)
        nuclear winter solstice

security from me ... and to think we had the house sprayed for Carpenter Ants today ... the guy said they could spray for spiders too and I declined, cuz I like them (yeah I'm weird) and enjoy watching them on the other side of the window from where I sit on this computer.

But now, hell, I thought they were only in the south, now hmmm  . . . damn damn damn

by Clytemnestra on Wed May 08, 2013 at 07:41:35 PM PDT

•  I remember the day my 3 year old pulled me into (1+ / 0-)
          Clytemnestra

the bathroom of our log cabin to show me the cute brown spider she had seen on a log just at her eye level...

They look like an olive pit with legs and they do have a violin shape marking that can be recognized.

•  I thought those were brown widows ... the invasive (1+ / 0-)
            nuclear winter solstice

species.

I've seen those to and was confused.

Guess I need to read up more on spiders and how to recognize them.

by Clytemnestra on Thu May 09, 2013 at 04:42:37 AM PDT

•  I have to disagree with wiki's description of the (1+ / 0-)
              Clytemnestra

brown recluse distribution, because I have encountered them in the Connecticut River Valley of Southern VT/NH since the 1970s.
              But the page is worth looking at, then check out some images of what it can do to you. First, hours before there was any evident pin-prick of a bite showing, I began to babble at work and the boss sent me home hoping it was only the flu. Then, not only did my face disintegrate, but I felt like I was being anesthetized and wanted only to lay down for a week. It made me angry that the little critter was almost winning and I would dream that I was going to be wrapped up and turned into mush- which would wake me up with a start and the adrenaline would keep me sitting up feeling shocked and nauseous. Then a few hours later it would happen again. So weird. At the end of it all my left cheek from temple to nose to chin healed up and grew back and left no scars at all. It felt like a creeping chemical burn that one day dried up and receded in reverse order, like a bruise fading.
                   On the one hand I hate to be negative about spiders because too many people already are, which was how I got started with this thread in the first place. But on the other hand, I thank G-d it was me and not one of my small grandchildren who received what seemed like a double bite-bite as I stepped into my car and a few miles down the road brushed something annoying out of my hair and out the window on the way to work.

•  well, hell, I've actually watched them in my house (1+ / 0-)
        nuclear winter solstice

in my laundry room  ... I thought brown recluses legs were more spindly than the pics I'm now looking at.  But for being a recluse it just sat out there, in the open and let me look not going any where (which is also the reason I didn't think it was a brown recluse).

Hello can of Raid

by Clytemnestra on Wed May 08, 2013 at 07:47:58 PM PDT

•  also, it seems to me- although it's only an idea, (1+ / 0-)
          Clytemnestra

that I don't know of any spiders with stripes (legs or body) that are harmful to humans.

I have seen the recluses just sit unobtrusively like that, and I have seen more than one other spider watch us while we watched them, and also I have seen several make and use their own "tools." My favorite one was a spider who made sort of a hammock web in my kitchen window by the sink and it would come out to watch me wash dishes. One day it caught a moth in its web. After it was done with the moth body, it ripped off the wings and set them up in its web like a turkey hunter setting up a screen. It immediately began to catch many more bugs by "hiding in the wings"
          (har har- I just thought of that: spider as an actor! anyway, somebody's gotta laugh at my jokes, might as well be me.)

•  yeah... the wolf spiders and other hunters I have (1+ / 0-)
            nuclear winter solstice

here I enjoy watching

by Clytemnestra on Thu May 09, 2013 at 04:43:55 AM PDT

•  spiders building webs in your entry door way (1+ / 0-)
            nuclear winter solstice

is considered "good luck"

and we've had them to that ... and they did until my mother in law came to visit ... she considered them good luck too, but they stopped weaving their webs in our entry door ways.

Considering how hmm awful/painful/ etc. her living with us for 18 months was (she was a toxic person) we should have taken it as an omen.  Smart spiders.

A few years ago they started building webs in our back door way again.

by Clytemnestra on Thu May 09, 2013 at 04:48:12 AM PDT

•  I saw a spider just about as big as a large mouse (3+ / 0-)

the other day I took a couple shots at it but it got away. lol