View Diary: Rush Limbaugh's New National Advertiser SodaStream Illegally Profits from Palestinian Misery (91 comments)

•  Fair enough criticism (12+ / 0-)

Normally, I get pretty pissed about the whole "divestment from Israel" stuff, but in this case we have an Israeli company which really had no business building its factory in the West Bank.

I'll pass this diary on, I have some friends getting married soon and the Soda Stream might appear on their wedding registry.

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it... unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." -The Buddha

by Brian A on Fri May 10, 2013 at 05:08:05 AM PDT

•  It's a useless kitchen item (10+ / 0-)

right in the price range for a friend but not a close one.  I think wedding registry is 90% of their sales, and come on, Rush is going to get married again soon, right?

They also advertise, or did when I could watch it after the campaign, on the Dan Patrick show.

"The only drink for a wise man is water."  - Thoreau.  Melville was a coffee man.

Difficult, difficult, lemon difficult.

by Loge on Fri May 10, 2013 at 05:19:04 AM PDT

•  Always seemed like a '70s product to me. (5+ / 0-)

Would have been big during a time when people thought soda was too expensive but weren't yet worried that it rotted your teeth and made you fat.

I just figured they sold it down South because, culturally, they're several decades behind.

"Michael Moore, who was filming a movie about corporate welfare called 'Capitalism: A Love Story,' sought and received incentives."

by Bush Bites on Fri May 10, 2013 at 05:46:16 AM PDT

•  You can get all of these (10+ / 0-)

organic flavorings with no added sugar (or no corn syrup) for things like anise root or beet.  Since it's just Seltzer, it's big in NY (where soda IS expensive and the Occupied Territories angle will only get you so far).  The ability to adjust the carbonation levels makes it more yuppie.  Charge anybody enough for anything, it'll become trendy.  There was a whole gourmet fried chicken thing in NY a while ago, not that I'm complaining.

Difficult, difficult, lemon difficult.

by Loge on Fri May 10, 2013 at 06:20:29 AM PDT

•  Also, fewer cans and bottles left over n/t (4+ / 0-)
          nzanne, Puddytat, elwior, JohnnyBoston

Difficult, difficult, lemon difficult.

by Loge on Fri May 10, 2013 at 06:22:30 AM PDT

•  These have been used in the UK for a couple (3+ / 0-)
          elwior, JohnnyBoston, Eyesbright

decades and are only "new" here.  They're popular because not only do they save money, but also vastly reduce the amount of waste (reusable bottles) and lugging soda from the store.

Additionally, sugar free varieties don't contain Asparatine as do each of the sugar free varieties of soda sold in stores and they have natural versions of soda with no corn syrup or high fructose corn syrup.

You can also make flavored carbonated waters very inexpensively.

I've had mine for nearly a year.  I assumed it was non-controversial, until now, that is.  I'll have to use my consumer power with this company to push it to do the right thing, particular in regards to their employees.

There already is class warfare in America. Unfortunately, the rich are winning.

by Puddytat on Fri May 10, 2013 at 10:29:08 AM PDT

•  ? (6+ / 0-)

Not at all useless if you like plain soda or enjoy making your own flavorings.  I have one and love it as a product.  A lot cheaper than individual cans, two-liters go flat faster than I can go through them.  Plus, I try to do most of my grocery shopping by bike or on foot, which makes soda water a royal pain to carry.  Canisters, not so much.