View Diary: Plagiarizing SquirrelTerror (172 comments)

•  VR, I don't understand (7+ / 0-)

whyNoddy would do it. I just don't get it.

Does that mean the Itzl stuff is to be doubted?, that's so sad.

Surely the Itzl operation was backed up by the vets wasn't it.

I don't get this sort of thing, really I don't.

Ron Reagan: "Sarah Palin's constituency are people who wear red rubber noses and bells on their shoes."

by AnnetteK on Sat May 11, 2013 at 12:03:17 PM PDT

•  Itzl's problems were well documented (3+ / 0-)
      AnnetteK, aitchdee, Avila

and I have no doubt that was all on the up and up.

The only trouble with retirement is...I never get a day off!

by Mr Robert on Sat May 11, 2013 at 12:08:37 PM PDT

•  Yeah, (7+ / 0-)

I'm really dumbstruck.

I don't know what to say about it, just seems too ridiculous for words.

Squirrel diaries!, why?

by AnnetteK on Sat May 11, 2013 at 12:13:04 PM PDT

•  Unless (1+ / 0-)
          Neuroptimalian

It's the tip of the iceberg and "noddy" is no more real than the Easter Bunny.

But then no one has ever faked a character on the Internet or this site before, right!

“I wore black because ... it's still my symbol of rebellion -- against a stagnant status quo, against our hypocritical houses of God, against people whose minds are closed to others' ideas.” -- Johnny Cash

by RocketJSquirrel on Sat May 11, 2013 at 01:20:00 PM PDT

•  Im thinking there's something hinky with our (2+ / 0-)
          klompendanser, AnnetteK

squirrel here. Talk about a ravening hoard response to this unfortunate story?

Cats are better than therapy, and I'm a therapist.

by Smoh on Sat May 11, 2013 at 07:12:43 PM PDT

•  You know, I am not saying this is true (0+ / 0-)

at all, I am just throwing this out as a possibility.

If my work was stolen, I would like to get back at the thief in any way I could - without ruining my public reputation.

It is possible that this is what is going on here.

It is possible that it isn't.

But I think Rocket's statements - although a bit on the avid side - are well within the bounds of common discourse here on Kos.

People all have their personal points.  Things that bring them out from lurking.  I find I only venture out if I have something to say that goes against conventional wisdom.  Because how fucking boring is it to say "me too!" all the time.

So if you have some evidence that Squirrel is a sockpuppet - lay it out.

If not, supporting unfounded rumors does not reflect well on you.

•  I can think of many reasons off-hand, (1+ / 0-)
          AnnetteK

but Im not about to psychologize someone i dont know

Cats are better than therapy, and I'm a therapist.

by Smoh on Sat May 11, 2013 at 07:32:38 PM PDT

•  By who? (2+ / 0-)
        second gen, bobsc

I don't understand the basis for your confidence and would sincerely appreciate more explanation as I never noticed noddy or Itzl before this.

So why should we trust any of it?

by RocketJSquirrel on Sat May 11, 2013 at 01:13:17 PM PDT

•  There were all kinds of pictures (4+ / 0-)
          AnnetteK, Smoh, klompendanser, aitchdee

of Itzl that were taken at the vet. following surgery and during the rehabilitation therapy later. The pictures of Itzl with I.V.s and swimming in a therapy tank would be difficult to fake.

Go back and read the diaries yourself and I think you will agree that the pictures were genuine.

The only trouble with retirement is...I never get a day off!

by Mr Robert on Sat May 11, 2013 at 01:28:27 PM PDT

•  How does that prove (4+ / 0-)
            second gen, bobsc, cosette, Neuroptimalian

they were genuinely by Noddy, whoever "noddy" even is?

You can plagiarize other people's photos too. Anyone checked Flickr for "Itzl" yet?

Once revealed as a plagiarist, you lose credibility. Ask Jonah Lehrer.

by RocketJSquirrel on Sat May 11, 2013 at 01:56:02 PM PDT

•  That proves that there was a long haired (9+ / 0-)

Chihuahua that had a serious trip to a vet whose owner posted photos online. It doesn't prove that it was Itzl, or that Noddy owned him. I don't recall ever seeing a photo of said dog with an actual owner in the photo, or even a photo of Noddy that matches. The vet photos only showed vet personnel.  I thought there were some Kossacks who have actually met Noddy in person. If they can vouch, then I'll believe it, but until then, I have no reason, given the circumstances, to believe Itzl is any more real than squirrels in her yard.

As I've noted elsewhere, service dogs stories are often faked. Some people get a charge out of the attention they get over claiming they have one.

I'd like to start a new meme: "No means no" is a misnomer. It should be "Only 'Yes' means yes." Just because someone doesn't say "No" doesn't mean they've given consent. If she didn't say "Yes", there is no consent.

by second gen on Sat May 11, 2013 at 02:55:31 PM PDT

•  When her dog needed vet care, (7+ / 0-)

and she was raising money, I suggested a couple entities that I know (and one I belong to) that provide veterinary assistance to bona fide service dogs. Not only did she not respond, she didn't even tip my comment. (Which, heh, I don't care about tips, but if I needed money for my service animal to have surgery asap and someone said, call these folks, I might at least acknowledge that).

I've used service animals for years (my current dog is retired from public work for veterinary reasons). I belong to regional and international service dog clubs and attend their conferences when I can. Whenever I've tried to engage her in conversation, the experiences have always been unusual, especially given that she seems to like discussing her "service dog" so much.

I have my own theories. Her "Signals" diary today totally confirmed to me what I had been thinking.

I dunno.

© grover

by grover on Sun May 12, 2013 at 03:01:48 AM PDT

•  I noticed she was quite friendly to me, too, (2+ / 0-)
                Catte Nappe, grover

until I tried to talk shop. (I've also had a dog in service, now deceased) Then she was kinda short. But I chalked it up to just being a bad day. I noted the same things you did. And also mentioned some resources that she also ignored.

She got really testy with me over the guy who had the dog who attacked it's previous owner, and THEN he tried to claim it was a service dog to save it from being put down. We didn't see eye to eye on that one. A lot of people didn't agree with me. But I know you can't have an untrustworthy dog doing public work. It's just not a smart thing to do. I honestly think the guy would have had less issue with the order to destroy had he not tried to claim it as a SD. If he just agreed to keep it away from folks, he might have done better. (I don't even know how that ended in the long run)

by second gen on Sun May 12, 2013 at 12:56:06 PM PDT

•  I don't know of that case, but ANY dog that (3+ / 0-)
                  Catte Nappe, second gen, Nowhere Man

Shows aggression toward humans is not a viable service dog candidate. He should be washed out/retired immediately. I'm not saying he should be euthanized. If there are legitimate reasons for the dog to react that way, he may be rehabilitated into a good pet.

But service animal handlers owe it to each other to never bring an unreliable dog into public service. It can be hard enough to get public access as it is. One mess-up by one reactive dog means that access just got more limited for the rest of us.

We fight every day in the streets to actually get the rights that the law gives us.

I've never met anyone with a bona fide service animal (one with disability-mitigating tasks that has passed (and can contine to pass) the public assess test) who doesn't "get" that.

Agency dogs, private trainers, self-trained. Doesn't matter. When folks are doing it by the books and abiding by the law, they get it.

When I used a service animal in public, I'd often chat with other handlers and puppy raisers swapping tips and war stories. It's nice to meet kindred souls. That's why I belong to clubs. We swap tips about behavior chaining, recording keeping for the IRS, how often to take the public access test (and can you "cheat" by taking the CGC if you can't find a public access test being offered?), if you're denied access, do you call DOJ right then or bring your business elsewhere and file a DOJ complaint later?

I once met a lady with a purse Yorkie in a mall anxious to explain to me that her dog was her service dog because her brought her medicine. Wow, that's great. I asked her, how did you train a terrier a reliable retrieve because it took my guy a long time to get it consistently. So I'd love to get whatever tips you have.

She said she threw the bottle on the floor and he brought it back until he just understood to climb on the counter and bring it to her when she asked for it.

Okaaayyyy....

It's hard to pull wool over an actual service animal handler/owner's eyes.

© grover

by grover on Sun May 12, 2013 at 02:47:36 PM PDT

•  I own 5 dogs (2+ / 0-)
                Nowhere Man, Cedwyn

including 3 very smart border collies Border Collies that have been trained to a high level.

I've had several small "hmmmms" when it came to her description of her dog's behavior.  But two very big "hmmmms" came along when in someone's diary she said her dog would sign people's names, and second where in her last diary she said that her dog would signal if someone was approaching planning on questioning her on the validity of her service dog.

Now dog's are brilliant, but I don't think it's been shown they can read minds.  It could be the dog was signalling that someone angry was approaching.  Dogs are good at reading basic emotions in humans and in other animals.  But I don't think her dog could distinguish why the person was angry.  If the person approaching was angry because she blocked him in his parking space, would her dog know the difference?

it could be just that my hackles were up because I don't believe in carrying dogs nor do I believe in dressing them up like dolls.

•  Or not (11+ / 0-)

Noddy raised $2500 in donations because supposedly she had insurance on her chihuahua but it stopped covering knee surgery on chihuahuas due to genetic defects, only injury.

Noddy, time to explain.

by RocketJSquirrel on Sat May 11, 2013 at 04:39:24 PM PDT

•  Positive reinforcement. (8+ / 0-)

It comes in many forms, and once the behavior that gets it starts, it can be hard to stop, as we've seen among professional journalists as well. What possesses someone to start the behavior in the first place when there's no job pressure to do so, I can't say. Beyond that, I don't want to pile on or dissect Noddy or anyone else in this sad chapter. I hope Noddy gets some advice offline about what to do.

•  I think the Itzl stuff is probably true (7+ / 0-)

Just my personal take on it. But I have serious doubts now about all the other topical diaries.

“Texas is a so-called red state, but you’ve got 10 million Democrats here in Texas. And …, there are a whole lot of people here in Texas who need us, and who need us to fight for them.” President Obama

by Catte Nappe on Sat May 11, 2013 at 12:21:23 PM PDT

•  A liar is a liar (4+ / 0-)

Why would she be a plagiarist on this scale but tell the truth elsewhere? What basis is there for benefit of the doubt, except she has a heartwarming tale of a disability and a cute dog.  Hey wait, haven't people used heartwarming tales of disability and pictures of cute animals to con people on the Internet before! Where have I seen behavior like that, hmmmmmmmm?

I say her tales are more heartworming than heartwarming, as in her sentimental puppy dog tails (tales!) are full of holes.  I read through a few of hem.  The slightly too drama filled voice, the look at me posture, the poor disabled girl schtick . . .    it all sounds familiar.

by RocketJSquirrel on Sat May 11, 2013 at 01:18:07 PM PDT

•  If it's a fiction, it's a consistent one (7+ / 0-)

There are other sites with the same Noddy persona, who has a hearing loss and a service dog named Itzl. Of course, once you have your fairly tale it's probably easy to propagate it wherever you go. And fairy tales is one skill the peripatetic Noddy claims.  We may never know for sure.

by Catte Nappe on Sat May 11, 2013 at 03:16:44 PM PDT

•  For somebody who's only been here (8+ / 0-)

for about four months, posted a mere 215 comments and has yet to write a diary, you sure seem to have it out for Noddy.

You've got her all figured out, don't ya? Because this "poor disabled girl schtick" is all too familiar to you isn't it?

~ Jerry Garcia

by DeadHead on Sat May 11, 2013 at 06:12:01 PM PDT

•  GAH! sometimes I think (8+ / 0-)

it's me and 5,000 socks on DKos and it's all a big joke.

Next thing we know Zombie Beatrix Potter is going to come storming in guns blazing.

SQUIRREL!!

by AnnetteK on Sat May 11, 2013 at 06:20:12 PM PDT

•  I'm real, Annette. (6+ / 0-)

Heh, I just looked at your profile because I was going to suggest that if you're ever out my way, we could get a cup if coffee.

But now I realize I better make that a spot of tea.

I'm totally real, rather boring, just me, my husband, our dogs, and our boring little life.thats how you can recognize socks. They seem to have lives that are too exciting or too dramatic, or too wonderful. It's just too too all the time.

Me? Heck, I'm typing this in bed wearing reading glasses over my contact lenses...my dog just climbed in bed with us because he's hot. So now I have a 90 lb dog on one side of me, a husband on the other, and it's 80 degrees in the room.

No one makes up this sort of  life.

© grover

by grover on Sun May 12, 2013 at 03:15:37 AM PDT

•  That made me laugh (4+ / 0-)
                Yasuragi, grover, MKSinSA, DeadHead

out loud.

I would love it if any of you folks from Kos ever came my way, never mind the tea, I'd break out the champagne :)

by AnnetteK on Sun May 12, 2013 at 06:44:49 AM PDT

•  Interesting observation (4+ / 0-)

And one to make me wonder, because Noddy shared her life story on a personal blog she was posting to some years ago.

My friends call me Noddy.

I’ve been involved in survivalism for more than 30 years and have honed a number of survival skills. I’ve helped with search and rescue teams, but my desire to learn all I could about surviving didn’t crystallize until the Murrah Bombing in Oklahoma City. I was there that day, on the north side of the building away from the blast. I wasn’t hurt in it – just slightly damaged hearing that didn’t become evident until weeks later.

I grew up in rural Germany. I was a goosegirl for a while, then grew old enough to behead and pluck chickens, and then on to castrating pigs, milking goats and cows, and making sausages – all on a woodburning stove and with no running water. My family was wealthy because we had a two seater outhouse with a covered area for hanging our winter wash to “dry”. I was apprenticed to the baker for a while, but he died of an auto accident, and my apprenticeship was sold to an herbal apothecary. I kept the Yeast Beastie I was given by the baker (Heike is her name) – and now, nearly 5 decades later, I still have her.

I completed my apprenticeship as an herbal apothecary, took my journeyman years, and passed my master’s exam.

And then I came to the US, and discovered all of my education was for naught. Still being young, I started over. I became degreed in philosophy and fairytales, and discovered I’d done that at a time when fairytales were in huge disfavor. So, still being young, I started over again. I became an advertising artist, and won awards for some of my designs. Family needs caused me to relocate and I had to start over again. I was still youngish, so I became a librarian. Family needs caused me to leave that to stay home to raise children. So I did that. And then I re-entered the workforce in much reduced straits. I spent time in insurance, in oil law, in tech support for computer software, and in being a receptionist.

by Catte Nappe on Sun May 12, 2013 at 10:42:06 AM PDT

•  Oh, wow. And yet... (1+ / 0-)
                  Catte Nappe

Except for the fact that I'm not a good storyteller, I could probably write a history almost as broad as what's in those paragraphs, and it would pretty much be true. It just never occurred to me to do it, and I'd have to put down to intelligent decision what was mostly just not having a strong goal in mind for a large part of my life.

Could all be true. Could mostly be invention. Doesn't matter a whole lot, really, even in the current context, imho.

At least half the future I've been expecting hasn't gotten here yet. Sigh.... (Yes, there's gender bias in my name; no, I wasn't thinking about it when I signed up. My apologies.)

by serendipityisabitch on Sun May 12, 2013 at 12:33:51 PM PDT

•  Literature Departments (2+ / 0-)
                  Catte Nappe, serendipityisabitch

Have classes in folk tales. Anthropology departments have courses in folk lore.

I can tell you that my folk tales class was a rigorous class that required textual analysis, knowledge of European History and superior writing skills (which 2 decades on the Internet have completely obliterated).

And do NOT call the "fairy" tales or the professor might push you into the oven with Hansel and Gretel's stepmother.

I can't find any sort of university program for Fairy Tales in the google.

I can't imagine that someone who studied folk tales seriously would mix up the terms.

I dunno.

© grover

by grover on Sun May 12, 2013 at 03:19:54 PM PDT

•  Literary license I suspect (2+ / 0-)
                    grover, serendipityisabitch

For the general audience that she would generally be wanting to appeal to, "fairytales" would be much more romantic than "anthropology with a speciality in folk lore".

by Catte Nappe on Sun May 12, 2013 at 03:59:41 PM PDT

•  Hey - watch it! (0+ / 0-)

I have been here for years - much, much longer than you, and I have only ever written one diary.

Diarying is only for a small subset of members.  I think the newness of the account is much more of a reason to hold someone in suspicion, but remember, you are also a noob in my eyes.

•  lol (0+ / 0-)

I've been here long enough to know how the place works, thank you, long-timer.

Would you care to address anything else in the comment aside from the diary aspect?

For someone (the other commenter) who claims to be a writer/professor or whatever, and one who in another comment said s/he hadn't written any diaries here yet, writing diaries shouldn't be too big of a hurdle. Not required, mind you, just that your statement of "writing diaries are only for a small subset" doesn't really do much for me in this particular instance.

Especially given the level of condemnation this commenter has displayed towards Noddy.

~ Jerry Garcia

by DeadHead on Sun May 12, 2013 at 11:51:06 PM PDT

•  I think I'm with you. (4+ / 0-)

It would be too sad to find out there was something hinky about itzl. Remember when she was trying everybody on dkos to call the orange squiggley an itzl? I was taken with the doggy, so I in my first diary I called it an itzl.

Cats are better than therapy, and I'm a therapist.

by Smoh on Sat May 11, 2013 at 06:36:58 PM PDT