View Diary: Plagiarizing SquirrelTerror (172 comments)

•  A liar is a liar (4+ / 0-)

Why would she be a plagiarist on this scale but tell the truth elsewhere? What basis is there for benefit of the doubt, except she has a heartwarming tale of a disability and a cute dog.  Hey wait, haven't people used heartwarming tales of disability and pictures of cute animals to con people on the Internet before! Where have I seen behavior like that, hmmmmmmmm?

I say her tales are more heartworming than heartwarming, as in her sentimental puppy dog tails (tales!) are full of holes.  I read through a few of hem.  The slightly too drama filled voice, the look at me posture, the poor disabled girl schtick . . .    it all sounds familiar.

“I wore black because ... it's still my symbol of rebellion -- against a stagnant status quo, against our hypocritical houses of God, against people whose minds are closed to others' ideas.” -- Johnny Cash

by RocketJSquirrel on Sat May 11, 2013 at 01:18:07 PM PDT

•  If it's a fiction, it's a consistent one (7+ / 0-)

There are other sites with the same Noddy persona, who has a hearing loss and a service dog named Itzl. Of course, once you have your fairly tale it's probably easy to propagate it wherever you go. And fairy tales is one skill the peripatetic Noddy claims.  We may never know for sure.

“Texas is a so-called red state, but you’ve got 10 million Democrats here in Texas. And …, there are a whole lot of people here in Texas who need us, and who need us to fight for them.” President Obama

by Catte Nappe on Sat May 11, 2013 at 03:16:44 PM PDT

•  For somebody who's only been here (8+ / 0-)

for about four months, posted a mere 215 comments and has yet to write a diary, you sure seem to have it out for Noddy.

You've got her all figured out, don't ya? Because this "poor disabled girl schtick" is all too familiar to you isn't it?

~ Jerry Garcia

by DeadHead on Sat May 11, 2013 at 06:12:01 PM PDT

•  GAH! sometimes I think (8+ / 0-)

it's me and 5,000 socks on DKos and it's all a big joke.

Next thing we know Zombie Beatrix Potter is going to come storming in guns blazing.

SQUIRREL!!

Ron Reagan: "Sarah Palin's constituency are people who wear red rubber noses and bells on their shoes."

by AnnetteK on Sat May 11, 2013 at 06:20:12 PM PDT

•  I'm real, Annette. (6+ / 0-)

Heh, I just looked at your profile because I was going to suggest that if you're ever out my way, we could get a cup if coffee.

But now I realize I better make that a spot of tea.

I'm totally real, rather boring, just me, my husband, our dogs, and our boring little life.thats how you can recognize socks. They seem to have lives that are too exciting or too dramatic, or too wonderful. It's just too too all the time.

Me? Heck, I'm typing this in bed wearing reading glasses over my contact lenses...my dog just climbed in bed with us because he's hot. So now I have a 90 lb dog on one side of me, a husband on the other, and it's 80 degrees in the room.

No one makes up this sort of  life.

© grover

by grover on Sun May 12, 2013 at 03:15:37 AM PDT

•  That made me laugh (4+ / 0-)
            Yasuragi, grover, MKSinSA, DeadHead

out loud.

I would love it if any of you folks from Kos ever came my way, never mind the tea, I'd break out the champagne :)

by AnnetteK on Sun May 12, 2013 at 06:44:49 AM PDT

•  Interesting observation (4+ / 0-)

And one to make me wonder, because Noddy shared her life story on a personal blog she was posting to some years ago.

My friends call me Noddy.

I’ve been involved in survivalism for more than 30 years and have honed a number of survival skills. I’ve helped with search and rescue teams, but my desire to learn all I could about surviving didn’t crystallize until the Murrah Bombing in Oklahoma City. I was there that day, on the north side of the building away from the blast. I wasn’t hurt in it – just slightly damaged hearing that didn’t become evident until weeks later.

I grew up in rural Germany. I was a goosegirl for a while, then grew old enough to behead and pluck chickens, and then on to castrating pigs, milking goats and cows, and making sausages – all on a woodburning stove and with no running water. My family was wealthy because we had a two seater outhouse with a covered area for hanging our winter wash to “dry”. I was apprenticed to the baker for a while, but he died of an auto accident, and my apprenticeship was sold to an herbal apothecary. I kept the Yeast Beastie I was given by the baker (Heike is her name) – and now, nearly 5 decades later, I still have her.

I completed my apprenticeship as an herbal apothecary, took my journeyman years, and passed my master’s exam.

And then I came to the US, and discovered all of my education was for naught. Still being young, I started over. I became degreed in philosophy and fairytales, and discovered I’d done that at a time when fairytales were in huge disfavor. So, still being young, I started over again. I became an advertising artist, and won awards for some of my designs. Family needs caused me to relocate and I had to start over again. I was still youngish, so I became a librarian. Family needs caused me to leave that to stay home to raise children. So I did that. And then I re-entered the workforce in much reduced straits. I spent time in insurance, in oil law, in tech support for computer software, and in being a receptionist.

by Catte Nappe on Sun May 12, 2013 at 10:42:06 AM PDT

•  Oh, wow. And yet... (1+ / 0-)
              Catte Nappe

Except for the fact that I'm not a good storyteller, I could probably write a history almost as broad as what's in those paragraphs, and it would pretty much be true. It just never occurred to me to do it, and I'd have to put down to intelligent decision what was mostly just not having a strong goal in mind for a large part of my life.

Could all be true. Could mostly be invention. Doesn't matter a whole lot, really, even in the current context, imho.

At least half the future I've been expecting hasn't gotten here yet. Sigh.... (Yes, there's gender bias in my name; no, I wasn't thinking about it when I signed up. My apologies.)

by serendipityisabitch on Sun May 12, 2013 at 12:33:51 PM PDT

•  Literature Departments (2+ / 0-)
              Catte Nappe, serendipityisabitch

Have classes in folk tales. Anthropology departments have courses in folk lore.

I can tell you that my folk tales class was a rigorous class that required textual analysis, knowledge of European History and superior writing skills (which 2 decades on the Internet have completely obliterated).

And do NOT call the "fairy" tales or the professor might push you into the oven with Hansel and Gretel's stepmother.

I can't find any sort of university program for Fairy Tales in the google.

I can't imagine that someone who studied folk tales seriously would mix up the terms.

I dunno.

© grover

by grover on Sun May 12, 2013 at 03:19:54 PM PDT

•  Literary license I suspect (2+ / 0-)
                grover, serendipityisabitch

For the general audience that she would generally be wanting to appeal to, "fairytales" would be much more romantic than "anthropology with a speciality in folk lore".

by Catte Nappe on Sun May 12, 2013 at 03:59:41 PM PDT

•  Hey - watch it! (0+ / 0-)

I have been here for years - much, much longer than you, and I have only ever written one diary.

Diarying is only for a small subset of members.  I think the newness of the account is much more of a reason to hold someone in suspicion, but remember, you are also a noob in my eyes.

•  lol (0+ / 0-)

I've been here long enough to know how the place works, thank you, long-timer.

Would you care to address anything else in the comment aside from the diary aspect?

For someone (the other commenter) who claims to be a writer/professor or whatever, and one who in another comment said s/he hadn't written any diaries here yet, writing diaries shouldn't be too big of a hurdle. Not required, mind you, just that your statement of "writing diaries are only for a small subset" doesn't really do much for me in this particular instance.

Especially given the level of condemnation this commenter has displayed towards Noddy.

~ Jerry Garcia