View Diary: College Bored (39 comments)

•  The scholarships don't go to the (0+ / 0-)

Brightest. They go to the richest.

If brightness was valued I'd be degreed by now, my only hindrance is financial.

•  asdf (4+ / 0-)
      Azazello, gffish, Nespolo, Eyesbright

That is certainly not true as a rule. There are, obviously, gross inequalities and problems with our system of higher education, but to claim that scholarships go to the richest is factually inaccurate.

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something." -the last words of Pancho Villa

by Shef on Fri May 10, 2013 at 09:59:00 PM PDT

•  No it isn't (0+ / 0-)

Wealthy get the aid

So morons with rich parents get the money I could have used to cure cancer or build a warp drive.

I'm really fucking bitter about this so please feel free to keep a arguing reality with me.

•  asdf (7+ / 0-)

That is, indeed, a disturbing study. The article you link to doesn't say that scholarships go to the richest--full stop. It says that increasingly they are going to the wealthier students, which isn't at all the same thing.

Again, there are gross inequalities in this system. You and many others have fallen prey to those inequalities, but that doesn't mean that there aren't scholarships that go to people who need them, nor does it mean that college is valueless.

by Shef on Fri May 10, 2013 at 10:16:16 PM PDT

•  So I'm just not needy enough? (0+ / 0-)

Or is the system BROKEN?

While I'm bitching about the greed of colleges how come I have to go outside the US to read peer reviewed papers without a pay wall?

•  because of the business model of publication..... (2+ / 0-)
              Eyesbright, annetteboardman

which required professors to pay to get their work published as well as more to make it free for all- several thousand dollars for each service.  Or you can go to a campus library where they often have the papers for their subscription fee.  Or ask for interlibrary load- or even learn how to google for a pdf and see if the paper you want to read in put up on someone's web site.

There are ways to do this- and i show my students how to do this starting in a first year seminar on critical thinking and science and society.

I am sorry things aren't working for you Horace, but your experience isn't universal.  You have your point of view, but people like me are out here working with kids, trying to help them get a scholarship or research experience, workin 60 hr weeks and taking hiring freezes and no salary raises in stride to help educate them.    I am not Polyanna, but I am not nothing either.

You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you mad. Aldous Huxley

by murrayewv on Sat May 11, 2013 at 11:08:39 AM PDT

•  I have written two funded NSF scholarship.... (2+ / 0-)
        annetteboardman, Eyesbright

grants that definitely don't go to the richest- my current one is for students with children.  They are in STEM fields.

I think this is a big country and some folks need to get out of their boxes on this and other issues.  A college degree won't fix all your problems, but if you are willing to move and advance yourself it can open doors.

You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you mad. Aldous Huxley

by murrayewv on Sat May 11, 2013 at 11:03:03 AM PDT

•  That's not really true, not at all. (5+ / 0-)

The highest-priced colleges, even the Ivies, are aware of that charge and give full-rides to smart kids of modest means just to show that they're not elitist. It may be all PR, but they do give opportunities to kids from lower-income families. How'd you do in high school, and what makes you think you're so brilliant ?

The free market is not the solution, the free market is the problem.

by Azazello on Fri May 10, 2013 at 10:03:02 PM PDT

•  I'm getting my degree a week from tomorrow. (5+ / 0-)

At forty-eight years old.

Yes, I'll have some loans, but, really, not a lot--because I go to a state school and I did get some grants...mostly after I went back and proved I could do the work. You go to a community college (and I had no loans to take out to get through that) and transfer over with a 3.91, guess what? They find a way to take you.

And I want to be a teacher, so, obviously, I didn't do this for the money :D.

BTW, the only people I know with college degrees still in McJobs graduated within the last few years, except for one girl who got a degree in a field that would require her to move if she wanted a job, but she's being lazy about it :).

First, tell me how your brilliant idea will pass the House. Second, tell me how Obama can get anything past the House. They we can talk.

by ChurchofBruce on Fri May 10, 2013 at 10:25:36 PM PDT

•  Tried and even cutting out housing (1+ / 0-)
        Free Jazz at High Noon

And living on the street I still could not afford the $300+for textbooks for each class ( they change the books every year so they can charge for a "new edition" I almost failed a math course because the assignments are different in used editions) -and waiting for half the semester to pass before I could replace that money with the pell grant.