View Diary: Rand Paul - Republican "outreach" fail (again) (218 comments)

•  Ah, you see, they knew it was not meant (5+ / 0-)

to be lived in from the beginning, so didn't make the effort to build working fireplaces and chimneys - how efficient is that?? ;-) Very, I would say. The Crown Prince's stay there a century later was not considered in the planning.

„Wer kämpft, kann verlieren. Wer nicht kämpft, hat schon verloren.“ - Bertolt Brecht

by translatorpro on Sat May 11, 2013 at 09:21:36 AM PDT

•  The funny thing is, though (4+ / 0-)

the German government right now is rebuilding the old Hohenzollern palace in the center of Berlin. Just the exterior, mind you, but you have to hope that they remember amenities like heat.

I was there a few weeks ago, and man, was it cold :-)

Fuck me, it's a leprechaun.

by MBNYC on Sat May 11, 2013 at 09:50:22 AM PDT

•  I never got outside of Frankfurt (4+ / 0-)

and a warm home when there so I guess I missed the luxury of freezing :)

Join us on the Black Kos front porch to review news and views written from a black pov—everyone is welcome.

by Denise Oliver Velez on Sat May 11, 2013 at 09:53:32 AM PDT

•  We had a very protracted, cold winter this (5+ / 0-)

year, with a record number of sunless daylight hours, and it was getting to me, too. I think that's what MBNYC was referring to. This was due to the Arctic vortex split that FishOutofWater wrote about here at DK, which pushed the cold air south. I know you were feeling the effects of it, too, in the US. We still haven't had much of a spring yet, either. The winters really haven't been all that bad for a long time, but these last two had brutally cold spells, thanks to climate change.

by translatorpro on Sat May 11, 2013 at 02:19:28 PM PDT

•  Why, do you have reason to believe (3+ / 0-)

that only the facade will be built and the rest left hollow? Not sure what is funny about it. I must be missing your point or humor, would you mind explaining your remark to me? A castle built in the 19th C as a memorial is not the same as one being reconstructed in the 2k-teens, or do you think they are comparable, and if so, why? I can't make any sense of it.

by translatorpro on Sat May 11, 2013 at 03:51:17 PM PDT

•  :) don't get ruffled (4+ / 0-)

Michael has one of the best senses of humor of anyone I know here at Dkos and since he is German there is probably even more reason for it .

by Denise Oliver Velez on Sat May 11, 2013 at 05:26:11 PM PDT

•  Thanks. It was late last night (3+ / 0-)

and a LOT of my time here in the past was spent pushing back on blatant lies, half-baked conspiracy theories and misinformation about Germany and its renewable energy policy when there was a larger pro-nuke DK presence (a year and more ago) that was very hostile to Germany shutting down its nuclear reactors. So I'm willing to admit I might be overly sensitive to weird remarks about Germany, since so  much nonsense has been written by people who have no clue about the country except what they read and interpret out of context, but I did give Michael the benefit of the doubt. However, I still don't understand the joke... sigh.

by translatorpro on Sun May 12, 2013 at 01:49:42 AM PDT

•  And no more off-topic comments. (3+ / 0-)

Sorry to have gotten so far off the main topic, which really deserves everyone's full attention. My sincerest apologies. :-(

by translatorpro on Sun May 12, 2013 at 05:01:59 AM PDT

• Politics (16)
  • Rescued (16)
  • 2016 (15)
  • Texas (14)
  • Media (14)
  • Environment (13)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site