View Diary: Rush Limbaugh is right about Jason Richwine, Ph.D. (84 comments)

•  It was NEVER "published" at all, (3+ / 0-)

except in "Dissertation Abstracts International," which no one ever reads unless they're looking up a specific dissertation.  Translation of Limaughese:  His dissertation committee passed him.  Ignorant asshole.

"If you don't read the newspapers, you're uninformed. If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." -- M. Twain

by Oliver St John Gogarty on Sun May 12, 2013 at 08:09:27 AM PDT

•  And technically (1+ / 0-)
      joemac53

on ProQuest Digital Dissertations, where I downloaded it yesterday.

Maybe the K School needs to get with open source movement in academia and publish all of its theses and dissertations in an open academic repository or commons.

Come on, let he public see the work being heavily subsidized, I assure you, by tax dollars and public investment.

“I wore black because ... it's still my symbol of rebellion -- against a stagnant status quo, against our hypocritical houses of God, against people whose minds are closed to others' ideas.” -- Johnny Cash

by RocketJSquirrel on Sun May 12, 2013 at 08:44:44 AM PDT

•  Dumping something into an Internet data (0+ / 0-)

base is hardly "publishing" in any common sense of the term as Limbaugh used it.  Of course, no one objected to it--no one outside of his committee would have any reason to read it.

by Oliver St John Gogarty on Sun May 12, 2013 at 09:10:12 AM PDT

•  Apologies, I wasn't saying (0+ / 0-)

Limbaugh was right, and mostly only university affiliates would ever use ProQuest to read dissertation literature (I do it every day). But technically, every phd dissertation must be "published" in this sense -- ProQuest used to be University Microfilms and before that each University library held a bound copy of that institution's dissertations.

This makes Richwine's committee's lack of oversight a failure not only of pedagogy but of peer review.

by RocketJSquirrel on Sun May 12, 2013 at 09:21:25 AM PDT

•  Didn't know that a computer repository had (1+ / 0-)
            RocketJSquirrel

replaced the home institution library copy.  It's been a while since I left academia.  Wow -- life is just too easy for academics in these Internet days -- no long hours in the library and no shelves full of mostly useless journal pages.

by Oliver St John Gogarty on Sun May 12, 2013 at 12:29:56 PM PDT

•  And by the way (1+ / 0-)
          Ditch Mitch KY

one social scientist to another, I'm really enjoying your comments on Rochwine, so thanks for your expertise here.

by RocketJSquirrel on Sun May 12, 2013 at 09:22:38 AM PDT

•  I was a bad person (3+ / 0-)
      Calamity Jean, JeffW, Cartoon Peril

and once gave my friend, whose dissertation had just been passed, a 20 dollar bill and told him to leave it tucked into the copy that would reside in the university library. I bet it would still be there in 20 years. Time is almost up!