View Diary: The Long Slow Stain of Mimicry (57 comments)

•  Most excellent, catilinus! (7+ / 0-)

The Editor's Preface to the long-anticipated Complete Revised and Annotated Fourth Edition of 2437.

The Fourth Edition is particularly welcomed by scholars in a variety of disciplines not only for its accuracy but for its inclusion of an extremely well-sourced Afterword, 'History and Interpretations of 'The Long Slow Stain of Mimicry' Through the Centuries'.

Section One of this Afterword concerns itself with the social and political history of 'Mimicry' beginning with its first printing in 2007 on First Earth and ending with its continuing influence on the globes since encircled by the US through the beneficence of the Corporate Coalition for Evermore Everything, which sponsored the Fourth Edition's publication.

Section Two, 'Interpretations' offers a wealth of information on the cultural, rather than the historico-political, influence of 'Mimicry' since its appearance in First US on First Earth.  When the first pirated copies appeared on what was then called 'the Internet', a huge upheaval arose as varied segments of First-US society appropriated it and applied no less than 137 interpretations to its fragmented, difficult, and opaque text.

Of course, each separate group believed wholeheartedly, and argued vehemently, that their own interpretation was the One True Way to Understand 'Mimicry'.  To aid understanding, these varying interpretations, in their early stages, have been broadly categorized in the Fourth Edition's Afterword as being either 'Literalist' or 'Open' interpreters.

The Literalist camps each believed that the plain text of 'Mimicry' was to be accepted and acted upon as 'literally, categorically, and objectively true'.  Roughly forty-seven early groups claimed to have the correct 'literal' interpretation, while approximately 92 early groups which adopted the 'open interpretation' model claimed to have the correct 'open' interpretation.  Of course, history teaches us that this early period of relatively coherent discourse on 'Mimicry' did not last long:  Within a mere twelve years, no less that 1,243 distinct schools of thought and practice existed as groups split, and split again, over details and minutiae.

The Fourth Edition's Afterword is a useful compendium of information that will provide generations of students with ample material for further research.  However, the Fourth Edition's Afterword is written in such an accessible way style that even the casual reader will find entertainment and items of interest therein.

One example of information that may be of interest to casual readers is the Afterword's delineation of the development of the Mimicry-inspired neologism, 'smoekscreen' -- which, sadly, has gone somewhat out of fashion.  'Smoekscreen', the Afterword informs us, is considered a 'portmanteau word' comprised of two existing words to create a third word (see: Alice In Wonderland).  The word 'smokescreen' (a battlefield word, referring to (1) clouds of smoke from gunpowder-based weapons on an ancient battlefield and (2) a cloud of dust or smoke that prevents one group of combatants from seeing the other, often purposely created as a tactical device so that one group could escape the other; it was later used to describe other forms (often verbal forms) of intentional obscuring of actual events.  This existing word 'smokescreen' was combined (circa 2013) with the jargon-derived word 'schmo' (long 'o', as in 'toe'), which carried the slang meaning of 'dumb,clueless, standing around with his face hanging out' (as we might say currently, a 'dorkpod').  'Schmoe', it is believed, was shortened to 'smoe' due to its frequent use on an early socialcom service that limited the characters used to a mere 140 characters.  After the word 'schmo/smoe' came into common usage to describe legislators, the 'k' sound was introduced (both in speech and socialcom) as a kind of gagging, hacking sound to express disgust.  Thus, the Afterword informs us, the Mimicry-inspired neologism 'smoekscreen' came to carry the meaning 'the words and actions of a stupid, clueless person (usually governmental) who is speaking and acting in one way in order to hide the fact that s/he's doing something else (and that's disgusting)'

Some might consider the information in the paragraph above to be quite a bit of baggage for one portmanteau to carry.  The casual reader, and the younger academic as well, will find the Fourth Edition's detailed Glossary, complete with a section on Indo-European root-words, will be a great benefit to them as they read and enjoy this ancient work.

All gratitude to the CCEE for this work and the many benefits it provides!

•  I believe that we have just discovered (3+ / 0-)
      CroneWit, catilinus, Pluto

the origin of dark matter!  Well done!

"I love this goddamn country, and we're going to take it back."

-- Saul Alinsky

by Seneca Doane on Mon May 13, 2013 at 11:43:23 PM PDT

•  Good gad, Holmes, I do believe you've done it! (4+ / 0-)
      catilinus, Seneca Doane, CroneWit, CJB

Just incredible.

At least half the future I've been expecting hasn't gotten here yet. Sigh.... (Yes, there's gender bias in my name; no, I wasn't thinking about it when I signed up. My apologies.)

by serendipityisabitch on Mon May 13, 2013 at 11:50:27 PM PDT

•  Crone, an almost excellent & well-researched (4+ / 0-)

update...only (sadly) marred by one glaringly abyssmal error.

(emphasis below added by myself)

Von Haushofer spent over 20 years proving beyond a shadow of a doubt that there were actually 1,244 disntinct schools of thought. You either disagree with his inclusion of the Bambschnozzle group, or you're not aware of it. I truly hope it is the former. Otherwise, well done!

The Americas greatest political dynasty...the Kaan

by catilinus on Tue May 14, 2013 at 12:14:56 AM PDT

•  Re-read your post again. Am changing prior (3+ / 0-)
      CroneWit, Seneca Doane, Pluto

analysis. Es chingada brillante. Fantastic on all levels. 'smoekscreen'...rofl.

The Americas greatest political dynasty...the Kaan

by catilinus on Tue May 14, 2013 at 02:10:30 AM PDT

•  Couldn't have done it without you! (4+ / 0-)

Or without SD, of course.  Thanks to you both, and to serendipityisabitch.

This is SO much fun!

And may I say I appreciate your defense of  Von Haushofer and the Bambschnozzle group.  I'm sure you can understand that limitations of space in what must be a brief preface forced this writer to make hard decisions about how to compose a brief overview that will inform the reader of the arc and scope of the Afterword without overwhelming him/her.  (And one must keep the casual reader always in mind, as I'm sure you're aware.)

I trust you will find the choices made by the writers and editors of Afterword more satisfactory than my poor and limited effort in the Preface.  In a lengthy footnote (page 187), the reader will be informed of the lengthy and rigorous scholarly discussion that led to the choice of '12 years/1,243 distinct groups'.  I will summarize that discussion here, since you have expressed an interest, although I'm sure you will find the Afterword's fuller treatment more satisfactory.

During that twelfth year, there was (as most scholars agree) a brief period of approximately 7-8 weeks in August through September (although some still say 12 weeks, beginning as early as June), during which the identifiably distinct interpretations reached a kind of dynamic equilibrium.  (A few overconfident souls went as far as to write letters to the editors of various journals rejoicing in the belief that 'the end of interpretation has come'.    How well I remember the gales of laughter that shook the classroom when my second-year colleagues and I were told of this period, and what enjoyment we derived from the required reading for that course!)

Of course, we understand now that this brief lull was a result of the weather -- it was the Year of Summer-As-It-Used-To-Be, you will recall, when all but the most essential work went undone.  But Bambschnozzle's core concepts of meta-interpretation (Restraint, Perspicacity, Verve) had already begun to circulate and ferment among various schools of interpretation, leading to a re-vivification in many schools and leading to innovative thinking such as the 'Judiciously Open' and 'Relaxed Literalism' movements.

The Afterword relies heavily on Von Haushofer in its discussion of Bambschnozzlist thought and influence and indeed name that following winter (The Winter That Never Seemed To End) as 'The Period of Glorious Flowering' that led to the lengthy and fruitful 'Resurgence of 'Mimicry' ' era.

Limitations of time constrain me to another brief overview, but I hope my poor efforts will satisfy your concerns until the Fourth Edition is released.  And limitations of time will, alas, prevent me from entering into an extended correspondence with you on these issues.  You are welcome to quote from this response on the Forums, under the standard Fair Use and Respectful Citations guidelines.

I hope you will find the Fourth Edition, and its Afterword, useful as a scholarly resource and that it will ample food for further thought and discussion as the interpretation of The Long, Slow Stain of Mimicry continues.

With sincere best wishes, and with thanks for your expression of scholarly concern.

•  Oh... My... Word... I think you topped yourself. (4+ / 0-)
          CroneWit, Seneca Doane, Pluto, ancblu

I do wish, however, to draw your attention to your duplicate use of the word 'brief' in the first paragraph. As a scholar, you should well be aware, allusions to the commonality aside, that THIS WILL NOT DO. An alternate usage of 'constrained', perhaps, or, in extremis, 'short' would have upheld our dignity more fittingly.

Yours in all humility,

by serendipityisabitch on Tue May 14, 2013 at 10:17:36 AM PDT

•  Putting a comment here to bookmark this (2+ / 0-)
          Seneca Doane, CroneWit

location to let you know I have seen your post. I will return when work allows. Your update cannot be allowed to long remain unchallenged.

The Americas greatest political dynasty...the Kaan

by catilinus on Tue May 14, 2013 at 01:33:23 PM PDT

•  Um, . . . hello? (4+ / 0-)

Um, . . . hello?  Hello, Hi, this is Miss Pettijohn, the Director's assistant.  The junior assistant. .  . you know the Director . . . that you've been corresponding with?  I'm ah, I'm afraid I have to tell you . . . I mean I've been told to say . . . that the Director has been forced to retire to a dimly-lit room for a long lie-down with a cool cloth dipped in lavender-water over his eyes, with the fan on, for a while.  For an indefinite period, I mean.  I'm, ah, supposed to tell you that, um, although the Director welcomes your correspondence he asks you to consider the frailties of age and generously grant him leave to delay his response somewhat.

Oh, and, he says to tell you that he deeply regrets being incom -- incommoded, and, um hopes that his, um, indisposition will not inconvenience you too severely. He looks forward, he says, to a continuing discussion and regrets that his strength and the demands of his superiors on his time may unfortunately require him to delay his response.

He says to say With Sincere Good Wishes.

Okay, um, bye.

•  I am soooo impressed! (4+ / 0-)
              CroneWit, Seneca Doane, catilinus, 2thanks

Denial is a drug.

by Pluto on Tue May 14, 2013 at 07:26:32 PM PDT

•  My dear Miss Pettijohn, (2+ / 0-)

I certainly appreciate your candor in relating to me the causes which will prevent further correspondence between the Director and myself. I truly am sorry to hear he has succumed to an apparent nervous disorder.

I imagine your situaton is a difficult one. There must be diverse contingencies you are now forced to deal with in attempting to wrap up various projects initiated by the director. No doubt you were left with no writtin instructions. This makes it doubly hard for me to add to your newly acquired responsibilities by requesting your aid in the retrieval of certain items (trinkets really) of which I am the legal owner.

1. The Spear of Longinus.

2. A copy of De Vermis Mysteriis.

3. A 2nd Century Mayan Codex bearing the Kaan glyph.

4. Julius Ceasar's original notes on his involvement in the betrayal of Catiline.

5. The 22nd edition of former President Bristol Palin's "How I helped President Tagg Romney to retire early to Gitmo."

Having now just written my request I realize the extreme unliklihood of your being able to fulfill it. From what I've kenned of the Director's personality and trust level, it cannot be hoped that he would have vouchsafed to you even the merest hint of the existence of these items. That necessarily being so, combined with my own inability to leave the area in which I currently reside, only one course of action is left to me.

I shall burn my own incomplete copy of "The Long Slow Stain of Mimicry." The Stain cannot be removed from history, but those who have seen it can be. I am more an antique Roman than a Dane.

(The above note was found inside a partially burnt and locked dioexerous box. The body next to it was burnt beyond recognition and has never been identified. The key to the box was found nearby. Authorities speculate the person had set themselves on fire and then attempted to employ the key to retrieve the contents of the box.)

The Americas greatest political dynasty...the Kaan

by catilinus on Wed May 15, 2013 at 12:23:46 AM PDT

•  I'd sort of like to send this whole subthread to (2+ / 0-)
      CroneWit, serendipityisabitch

Top Comments, but I'm not sure that Top Comments is ready for this....

"I love this goddamn country, and we're going to take it back."

-- Saul Alinsky

by Seneca Doane on Tue May 14, 2013 at 02:54:26 PM PDT

•  Yes, it seems (2+ / 0-)

to have taken on a life of its own.  Which is kinda fun, imo.

•  Well, it *was* supposed to! (0+ / 0-)

We are winning the game.

"I love this goddamn country, and we're going to take it back."

-- Saul Alinsky

by Seneca Doane on Tue May 14, 2013 at 09:59:19 PM PDT

•  It may be of some use to you in your (1+ / 0-)
        Seneca Doane

decision to note that the initial stimulus for such a fruitful and solidly academic discussion is inextricably mixed with both the quality of the audience in attendance and the cross-pollination of the developmental matrix.

In other words to do it right you'd have to send the diary itself to Top Comments, because it wouldn't have happened otherwise. I don't think they let you do that.

by serendipityisabitch on Tue May 14, 2013 at 10:48:38 PM PDT

•  Oh, hell, I'm gonna send it anyway - boggling (1+ / 0-)
        Seneca Doane

a few minds is a positive action.

by serendipityisabitch on Wed May 15, 2013 at 02:13:49 PM PDT