View Diary: Chris Hedges NPR Interview: On The Right Wing "Proto-Fascist Movement" in The U.S. (232 comments)

•  At least they didn't say "Matthews". (8+ / 0-)

The Republican motto: "There's been a lot of progress in this country over the last 75 years, and we've been against all of it."

by Hillbilly Dem on Thu May 16, 2013 at 12:02:11 PM PDT

•  Usually Hedges doesn't get this much action (5+ / 0-)

on DailyKos, outside of a small handful of the usual suspects. I wonder if so many people are rec'ing this diary because they think it's Chris Hayes.

"Today is who you are" - my wife

by I Lurked For Years on Thu May 16, 2013 at 12:10:41 PM PDT

•  No, it's because the diarist trotted out the crazy (8+ / 0-)

right wing meme.  You're right, Hedges is sometimes practically spit upon on here, but mention the "threat" from the right and the rabbit ears go up.  It's all about the hate.

"I'm an antiwar propagandist as accused by democrats. Not even republicans have called me that."

by BigAlinWashSt on Thu May 16, 2013 at 12:23:20 PM PDT

•  Yup. (14+ / 0-)

There's a small group of about 30-40 of us who have been following Hedges' insight for a while now...it's just interesting to see him at the top of the reclist since he is a clear enemy of Obama. I hope this will encourage more people to pay attention to the important messages he has been repeating for the audiences that will have him. Was actually surprised to even see that NPR had him on, since they usually give very little voice to the "far left" (Chomsky, West, Hedges, Nader, etc)

"Today is who you are" - my wife

by I Lurked For Years on Thu May 16, 2013 at 01:10:29 PM PDT

•  I first saw Chris Hedge's work at the (15+ / 0-)

Dallas Morning News and followed his work when he went to the New York Times.

He's been a consistently accurate voice for years. The clarity of his writing and the perceptive portrayal of the subject are two things which have always attracted me.

I'd guess there are more than 40 here. Or maybe that is a hope of mine.  He's a valuable voice.

by YucatanMan on Thu May 16, 2013 at 01:39:56 PM PDT

•  What does he mean by "legitimate rage" and (0+ / 0-)

"legitimate sense of betrayal"? WTF do tea partiers rage against and feel betrayed by? Brown people.  Teh brown people are taking all the jobs, are eating up teh tax money, are going to dominate, dominate! Why does Hedges feel that is legitimate?  He may be considered a great intellecutal, but some of the things that come out of his mouth are downright dumb.

Republicans...What a nice club...of liars, cheaters, adulterers, exaggerators, hypocrites and ignoramuses. Der Spiegel -6.62, -6.92

by CanyonWren on Thu May 16, 2013 at 02:04:29 PM PDT

•  I think that misrepresents Hedges position (21+ / 0-)

He is not an "enemy of Obama."  He is an adversary of those who adopt or promote policies that benefit corporations at the expense of individuals and communities, regardless of party affiliation.  He is also an advocate for those whose interests are threatened by what he refers to as this slow moving corporate coup.  And lets be honest, the dominant wing of the Democratic Party, at least at the level of elected officials, push many of the same or similar policies as Republicans which have created our the corporate welfare state, and they are heavily influenced and compromised by corporate interests.  Whether this is out of a fatalism that causes them to compromise their principles because they believe that is the best they can do to ameliorate the "damage" of corporate influence on our democracy, or because they are addicted to the money power in order to remain in office, or because they sincerely believe that what is best for multinational corporations and too big to fail financial institutions is also best for the country matters little to me.  The end result is the same.

Are such DLC Democrats as extreme as the Republicans in their positions and rhetoric?  Of course not.  However, it should not be forgotten that every reduction in the protections provided by the New Deal, and the weakening of Labor Unions and our social safety net, was often accomplished with the support of Democratic politicians (or just as bad their lack of effective opposition to such measures).  NAFTA, the deregulation of financial institutions, the weakening or elimination of worker protections and the promotion of policies that permitted corporate consolidation and effectively government granted monopolies as opposed to fair competition all come to mind.  Perhaps they don't really believe that "greed is good" for everyone but they sure aren't fighting very hard to prevent the rise and economic and political domination of the Gordon Gekkos of the world.

"If you tell the truth, you'll eventually be found out." Mark Twain

by Steven D on Thu May 16, 2013 at 03:01:03 PM PDT

•  I think (with a very few exceptions) we are (15+ / 0-)

just victims of the "good cop/bad cop" tag team of the two-party system as it stands today.  As Hedges says: a "facade of Democracy."

Occupy represented a very serious threat to that facade, and it was the reason the riot police were sent to crush it fast.

Hedges teared up during an interview at the start of the Occupy protests,  thanking them for making him feel a little better about his young daughter's future.

I really hope Occupy rises again--with new and more effective strategies to counteract what Hedges so eloquently describes in his writings and interviews.

If the plutocrats begin the program, we will end it. -- Eugene Debs.

by livjack on Thu May 16, 2013 at 03:42:05 PM PDT

•  You don't have to explain all this to me (10+ / 0-)

I've consumed just about every word out of Chris Hedges' mouth for some time now. Maybe a simplistic wording, but I mean it in the sense that Chris Hedges has been actively opposing this administration's agenda (and thankfully so), including suing Obama over the NDAA, and constantly speaking out about Obama being a tool for a ruthless corporate and imperialist agenda. I think Obama would consider him an enemy. Hedges recently talked about how TSA is fucking with him at the airports. He is confident he's been flagged by the administration.

I think it's fair to say that Hedges is an enemy to anyone who represents abusive power structures, and that includes Obama.  He has made it clear that he is devoting his life now to dissent and resistance.

"Today is who you are" - my wife

by I Lurked For Years on Thu May 16, 2013 at 05:02:24 PM PDT

•  OT (I'm reading down through the comments now) (8+ / 0-)

but I heard Senator Sanders being interviewed by John Nichols on The Ed Show on Sirius/XM today and when discussing why Bernie isn't on the Sunday talk shows, he said he's only been on the Sunday talk shows about I think he said about 3 to 5 times in the last 20 years.  He had a lot of bad things to say about how they choose the topics and the people, and he's certainly right.  ("He" being Senator Sanders)

•  Chris Hedges (1+ / 0-)
            Ray Pensador

has very strongly influenced my thinking over the last few years, not only because of his comments on American proto-facism, the existence of which is generally assumed, but because of his withering criticism of the Democratic Party, which is complicit in that proto-facism.

One time he asked "how many times do you want to be lied to by Barack Obama?"  I thought about that when I voted last November, which is why I wrote in Sanders.

A terrible beauty is born. --W.B. Yeats

by eightlivesleft on Fri May 17, 2013 at 07:34:53 AM PDT

•  You think there's no threat? (0+ / 0-)
        •  Never mind my previous comment (1+ / 0-)
          BigAlinWashSt

Seeing what you said further down the page, I get where you're coming from.  Not sure if I agree or not, there's some nuance there I think.

•  It's getting rec's (17+ / 0-)

because it's a damn good diary that is addressing the over view of what's happening to our country. Most people don't care about recing or not recing because of persona, ideological as in not moderate enough or the media outlet where the person being interviewed.

The content of this diary is excellent and is very pertinent to what's going on politically and culturally in our broken political  system and our nasty culture wars. Attacking the source who is not RW or 'centrist' but is a liberal is par for the course.

Somebody called Jesselyn Radack the new Jane Hampsher today in another dairy about this administration's AP debacle and this is another attack. So Chris Hayes is okay to rec but Chris Hedges is not? Talk about purity trolling. Jeeze any diary that does not reflect well this administration and president is pounced on, denounced, deflected or thread jacked.

The usual suspects are mainly liberals and Democrat's and not the enemy. This bs is getting to be embarrassing. Quit attacking Democrat's who whether you like it or not will continue to speak up and talk about the issues that supersede blind support of a pol or even a party.

Most liberals are Democratic including Jane Hampsher and the 'usual suspects' here at dkos. Why not listen to Chris Hedges who knows you might agree with some of what he says, instead of dismissing him or the diarist because they do not spout talking points regarding the president and his agenda/policy. Reality bites but you cannot expect people to ignore what's happening.

•  WTF!? (3+ / 0-)
          Iberian, shaharazade, Words In Action

Earlier today before this post was on the reclist I myself posted a 20 min segment of Chris Hedges appearing on Democracy Now on Jesselyn's diary, a post which I'm pretty sure you rec'ed! You are scolding the wrong person! Calm down.

"Today is who you are" - my wife

by I Lurked For Years on Thu May 16, 2013 at 01:05:31 PM PDT

•  I guess not everyone notices User Handles (4+ / 0-)

I assumed those who are the usual suspects would recognize that I was one of the usual suspects. Usually when I post a comment I notice the same handful of names rec what I say every time, and usually when I rec a comment I notice those same handful of names rec'ed it too. Sorry you don't recognize a like-minded thinker when you see one.

"Today is who you are" - my wife

by I Lurked For Years on Thu May 16, 2013 at 01:12:45 PM PDT

•  I am sorry (4+ / 0-)

you have my sincere apology, I lurked For Years. I misread what you wrote. I did jump on the wrong person. My only excuse was that I had just finished reading Jesselyn's dairy and had to leave the comment section as it was getting to me. Then I read Ray's excellent post and the partisan loyalists started in with their debunking, ad hominem's and thread jacking. By the time I misread yours I had had enough. I immediately took a break and got off the computer. It's been a hard week on dkos and for now I think I will do what you did for years, lurk. I'm really sorry I ranted in your direction.

•  Plural pronoun because more than one (0+ / 0-)

poster incorrectly identified Chris Hedges as Chris Hayes. Nobody, however, called him Chris Matthews.

by Hillbilly Dem on Fri May 17, 2013 at 10:26:00 AM PDT