View Diary: Charles Blow, NYTimes: Americans Yawning at GOP Phony Scandals (156 comments)

•  I think that to most Americans (18+ / 0-)

Teabaggers are your crazy neighbor from across the street who has all these flags on their property and "Support The Troops" and "Go USA!" car magnets despite never having served in the military, who annoy everyone with their conspiracy theorizing about FEMA death camps and how Obama's a secret Muslim plotting with Jihadis to implement Shariah law in the US.

I.e. a crazy stupid person clearly overcompensating for and trying to hide their lack of accomplishment and failings, and a racist to boot.

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Sat May 18, 2013 at 07:24:08 AM PDT

•  Yup.... (8+ / 0-)

Have three of them at work.  They are, in a word, insufferable.
      I will also add the words - bigoted, racist, pro-life (as long as it's folks like them), insular, conspiracy nuts, and BORING.
      They're rabidly anti Obama (well, duh!) and slur him at every opportunity.
      I stay far away from them and their looniness.

I think, therefore I am........................... Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose....AKA Engine Nighthawk - don't even ask!

by Lilyvt on Sat May 18, 2013 at 07:50:44 AM PDT

•  And if you look deeper under the hood (7+ / 0-)

You'll almost always find that they're also the following:

Cowards
        Stupid
        Ignorant
        Sheltered
        Angry
        Unaccomplished
        Unimpressive
        Lazy
        Boring

These are marginal losers, people who may have well-paying jobs and thus the outward signs of success, but as people are basically failures. And to the extent that they are outwardly successful, it's often as much because of luck as real talent and hard work, e.g. they're white, were born into well-off middle class families, have connections, benefit from patronage, etc. And they know it, which fuels their anger and hatred. Their unearned privileged world is being challenged and they're lashing out as made-up targets.

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Sat May 18, 2013 at 08:12:21 AM PDT

•  Well.... (4+ / 0-)
          kovie, MadGeorgiaDem, myboo, karmsy

They are all of those descriptors and more.
          One was given an award, I just cringed knowing how much that would fuel his over-inflated sense of himself.
          (There are more than just three at work, but the others are marginal, though still offensive, tea bag nutcakes, just not as vociferous.  And there are quite a few women, sad to say)

by Lilyvt on Sat May 18, 2013 at 08:26:48 AM PDT

•  It brings to mind an old quip (13+ / 0-)

about how the US is a country that was founded by geniuses so it could be run by idiots. There's so much truth to that. It's like computers. Any idiot can use one, but only smart people can design and build them. We tend to reward and praise mediocrity and worse, and expect to be rewarded and praised for it.

Bob came in on time for a month and attended every meeting! Yay! Let's make him employee of the month! (Translation: he kissed the boss's ass and didn't make any waves--he's a compliant drone and we like that.)

Now, there are smart and genuinely accomplished teabaggers. I've met a few (Phd engineer, neuologist). But they're still nursing deep psychic wounds that they're projecting onto others via their paranoia and racism. It's not necessary to be an actual idiot to be a teabagger, although it helps, but it is necessary to be an infantile, angry and malformed human being with a massive and unearned sense of entitlement.

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Sat May 18, 2013 at 08:33:36 AM PDT

•  Laughing! (3+ / 0-)
              kovie, myboo, karmsy

You must know 'Bob'!  He's the person who won that particular award!  For being acquiescently mediocre.
              And yes, idiot behavior isn't just reserved for idiots.  (Even I have done some pretty dumb and idiotic things, moi? hard to believe!).
              We're all the result of our pasts, in one way or another.

by Lilyvt on Sat May 18, 2013 at 09:00:52 AM PDT

•  Boring is key (2+ / 0-)
        karmsy, a2nite

I've worked with one who has a  plate with the year of his high school graduation on it: 1986. Of course things were better when Reagan was president; you didn't pay for anything!

I'm living in America, and in America you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business.

by CFAmick on Sat May 18, 2013 at 08:28:57 AM PDT

•  I get the sense (4+ / 0-)
          karmsy, mmacdDE, a2nite, orlbucfan

that no matter what their level of education and accomplishment, teabaggers are the sorts of people whose personalities and outlooks were pretty much set in stone in high school, as opposed to liberals or more moderate Repubs and centrists, who continued to develop emotionally and intellectually beyond high school. I hate to sound like a snob, but they strike me as the short sleeve dress shirt at work crowd.

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Sat May 18, 2013 at 09:21:20 AM PDT

•  This is the best comment in this thread. (1+ / 0-)
            a2nite

I believe the ability to back-track and rethink--credibly, sincerely--is a basic mark of moral seriousness.

When I hear one of these loons say they "have no regrets" about anything in their political career, or that their basic ideology "hasn't changed since childhood," I cringe.

Thanks.

It's here they got the range/ and the machinery for change/ and it's here they got the spiritual thirst. --Leonard Cohen

by karmsy on Sat May 18, 2013 at 10:47:14 AM PDT

•  If you took my high school self (1+ / 0-)
            zett

and transported it to today, it would be much less liberal and much more authoritarian, for starters.

by CFAmick on Sat May 18, 2013 at 12:20:36 PM PDT

•  Well.... (0+ / 0-)

When I think back, I'm not sure the 'me of then' would agree on many things with the 'me of now'.  There are many of my attributes that have remained steadfastly the same, but time has tempered me.  I am far more tolerant of some things and far less tolerant of others.  I have also become more outspoken about injustices....something the 'me of then' would have felt but would have definitely been mortified to do.  I'm old, and I don't suffer jackasses kindly.  I'm not mean or unkind, but if presented with willful ignorance, bigotry, racism or cruel foolishness, I respond.
              I have friends from when I was the 'me of then' and there are times I just think....would I actually be friends with them if I met them now?  In some cases, astoundingly yes, in other cases, absolutely not.

by Lilyvt on Sat May 18, 2013 at 12:44:58 PM PDT

•  Yup.... (0+ / 0-)
          Boring is key
          As is lack of curiosity.  Or the desire to 'think outside the box'.  It's like life stopped in their teens, before they reached maturity.
          Many tea party folks are so unhappy, so angry.  Life isn't what they thought it would be.  Hello!  Welcome to the real world.
          It's very interesting that they've gravitated to the 'R's as an offshoot (sorta) because basically the 'R's are the ones responsible for the shattering of the middle class ideal.

by Lilyvt on Sat May 18, 2013 at 12:57:01 PM PDT

• Law (19)
  • Media (19)
  • 2016 (16)
  • Science (16)
  • Politics (15)
  • Environment (15)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site