View Diary: Charles Blow, NYTimes: Americans Yawning at GOP Phony Scandals (156 comments)

•  Boring is key (2+ / 0-)
    karmsy, a2nite

I've worked with one who has a  plate with the year of his high school graduation on it: 1986. Of course things were better when Reagan was president; you didn't pay for anything!

I'm living in America, and in America you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business.

by CFAmick on Sat May 18, 2013 at 08:28:57 AM PDT

•  I get the sense (4+ / 0-)
      karmsy, mmacdDE, a2nite, orlbucfan

that no matter what their level of education and accomplishment, teabaggers are the sorts of people whose personalities and outlooks were pretty much set in stone in high school, as opposed to liberals or more moderate Repubs and centrists, who continued to develop emotionally and intellectually beyond high school. I hate to sound like a snob, but they strike me as the short sleeve dress shirt at work crowd.

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Sat May 18, 2013 at 09:21:20 AM PDT

•  This is the best comment in this thread. (1+ / 0-)
        a2nite

I believe the ability to back-track and rethink--credibly, sincerely--is a basic mark of moral seriousness.

When I hear one of these loons say they "have no regrets" about anything in their political career, or that their basic ideology "hasn't changed since childhood," I cringe.

Thanks.

It's here they got the range/ and the machinery for change/ and it's here they got the spiritual thirst. --Leonard Cohen

by karmsy on Sat May 18, 2013 at 10:47:14 AM PDT

•  If you took my high school self (1+ / 0-)
        zett

and transported it to today, it would be much less liberal and much more authoritarian, for starters.

by CFAmick on Sat May 18, 2013 at 12:20:36 PM PDT

•  Well.... (0+ / 0-)

When I think back, I'm not sure the 'me of then' would agree on many things with the 'me of now'.  There are many of my attributes that have remained steadfastly the same, but time has tempered me.  I am far more tolerant of some things and far less tolerant of others.  I have also become more outspoken about injustices....something the 'me of then' would have felt but would have definitely been mortified to do.  I'm old, and I don't suffer jackasses kindly.  I'm not mean or unkind, but if presented with willful ignorance, bigotry, racism or cruel foolishness, I respond.
          I have friends from when I was the 'me of then' and there are times I just think....would I actually be friends with them if I met them now?  In some cases, astoundingly yes, in other cases, absolutely not.

I think, therefore I am........................... Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose....AKA Engine Nighthawk - don't even ask!

by Lilyvt on Sat May 18, 2013 at 12:44:58 PM PDT

•  Yup.... (0+ / 0-)
      Boring is key
      As is lack of curiosity.  Or the desire to 'think outside the box'.  It's like life stopped in their teens, before they reached maturity.
      Many tea party folks are so unhappy, so angry.  Life isn't what they thought it would be.  Hello!  Welcome to the real world.
      It's very interesting that they've gravitated to the 'R's as an offshoot (sorta) because basically the 'R's are the ones responsible for the shattering of the middle class ideal.

by Lilyvt on Sat May 18, 2013 at 12:57:01 PM PDT

• Economy (18)
  • Rescued (17)
  • Science (16)
  • 2016 (15)
  • Politics (15)
  • Environment (13)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site