View Diary: Chris Hedges: Time To Revolt Against The Global Corporate Mafia (80 comments)

•  We need to organize our neighborhoods (6+ / 0-)

our families, and form committees. The two are not mutually exclusive. We organize the committees so we can work together on a broader scale and have communication between the various neighborhoods and families.

The other thing we need is for people to actually start doing these things and writing about it. We have a million strategists talking to each other and too few of them are listening to the people already out there organizing. We have enough idea people, shit, we're all idea people. We need people who are taking concrete steps to make those ideas happen.

If debt were a moral issue then, lacking morals, corporations could never be in debt.

by AoT on Mon May 20, 2013 at 12:43:18 PM PDT

•  Personally, I haven't had great experiences (7+ / 0-)

with formalized committees.  Too often they bog down into either social clubs that never reach beyond their comfort zones (a problem I have with the Dkos), or they provide opportunities for people who don't have much to say but just l-o-v-e hearing themselves talk (which is what blogs are for).

But that's just me.  My comment was aimed at people like me who get frustrated in those situations.  I think some of us need to be graffiti (visual or not) artists and street performers (even when nobody knows it's a performance) and things like that.  Every human interaction is an opportunity to propagandize and the soft underbelly of the corporate media is in the small exchanges that take place in public, that no one even recognizes as political exchange.

It's good for us to compare notes and talk amongst ourselves, but it's even better when we seed our ideas into the collective consciousness of those whom we live amongst.

•  I'm on that wavelength. When I drive on the (2+ / 0-)
        Urizen, blueoasis

busy highways of the San Francisco Bay Area, I see all the traffic around me, and I look ahead, and look in the rear-view mirror, I'm thinking how can I reach everyone of those people?

When I'm at an intersection, and I look to my left and see a Starbucks full of people, or look to the other side and see  a Walmart parking lot, full to capacity, I'm thinking how can I reach them all?  How can I let them know what's happening?  How can I motivate them to take action, to join the movement?

And how can I reach every single Walmart employee, and every single Target employee, and identify the labor union agitators and push hard to unionize all the big-box (predatory) retailers?

I have the mindset of a propagandist; a propagandist for the truth, for justice and equality.

•  Formalized committees aren't essential (2+ / 0-)
        Urizen, cynndara

but organization beyond just organizing with your friends is. Organizing with other people is the best way to reach out of your comfort zone. The key is to be focused on organizing and make that happen. You can't go into it thinking that other people are going to be doing what you want done, the goal is to have a plan and then talk to people and change your plan based on what other people are doing and what they've found effective.

On top of that, the sort of organizing you're talking about begins to fail when broader action is necessary. We need ways to coordinate among a lot of different people and for that we need groups upstream. Not to make the decisions but to make sure we're all on the same page.

by AoT on Mon May 20, 2013 at 02:16:35 PM PDT

•  Absolutely. (4+ / 0-)
        blueoasis, AoT, Ray Pensador, Urizen

Been doing that for the last forty years, serious.

Right now I'm trying to get a job back at the university where I worked in the nineties.  When I was there before, I used my presence to encourage scientists to think about the rights of research subjects and the ethics of making other people or animals pay the for costs of their curiousity and ambition.  This time, I really want to get situated where I have access to undergraduates.  There are many, many things they need to learn that the official system isn't going to teach them, but I can see that they are exposed to.

•  Due to our anti-worker economy, (3+ / 0-)
      Ray Pensador, AoT, Urizen

I've been pushed out of my native city of Oakland and am now stuck in a small Central Valley town. There's a tiny handful of us dedicated Peace and Justice activists who have started coming together since September. A lot of what we are doing here (and will continue to have to do) is just bare-bones baseline education on the issues because folks have been so willfully misinformed by the corporate media, and there's been no history here of political social action (such as in Oakland, Berkeley, SF) to counteract any of those messages. It's also about simply informing people that we can and must fight back, that we don't just have to sit back as passive victims of the 1%'s agenda hoping for the best.

I don't see any reason why we can't be one of the points on Ray's map. Contact me Ray, at your convenience.

“Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”

by Oaktown Girl on Mon May 20, 2013 at 02:21:30 PM PDT

•  I've been meaning to contact you to see if (2+ / 0-)
        Oaktown Girl, Urizen

we can form a group in your area.  Here are some easy steps:

1. Join the online community of activists.
        2. Once you register, create a "Group"
        3. The "Groups" component has many features, including the creation of events, and discussions.  You can also share documents, flyers, and photos.

Here's the group created by one of the members, John Tehan: "Massachusetts"

I've been communicating with John via email and we've talked on the phone a few times... He's an incredibly experienced political activist.

•  This is one of the reasons (4+ / 0-)

I'm trying to focus on debt as a organizing principle, it's something virtually everyone has in common.

by AoT on Mon May 20, 2013 at 02:35:20 PM PDT

•  Common issues are the key to breaking (4+ / 0-)
          Ray Pensador, AoT, cynndara, Urizen

down the walls that the corporatists have built between us, the people.  I really wish dkos would spend more focus on the common policy issues and less on partisan politics.  We can elect all the Dems we want and it still will not solve the problem.  Occupy understood that by remaining outside the political spectrum.  And that is why the govt. came down so hard on them and classified them as a terrorist organization.  We need to get as many citizens as we can to understand our common interests and the need to band together to break the chains of the corporatists.

"Growing up is for those who don't have the guts not to. Grow wise, grow loving, grow compassionate, but why grow up?" - Fiddlegirl

by gulfgal98 on Mon May 20, 2013 at 03:03:42 PM PDT

•  I argue that the reason you so much emphasis (3+ / 0-)
            gulfgal98, cynndara, Urizen

on politics and the latest scandal de jour is because people are watching the corporatist MSNBC, or visiting Huffington Post, etc.

The corporate media messaging, the narrative, is all around us, bombarding us 24/7.

We need to break free from that type of manipulation.

But the only way to even attempt to do that is to engage in counter-propaganda efforts; it has to be deliberate; strategic; far-reaching, and constant.

•  I agree, but it also needs to be outside (3+ / 0-)
              gulfgal98, cynndara, Urizen

the media. We can't run ads, we simply can't compete on that level. I know that there are tons of people out there on social media spreading political memes that have an effect on people, or at least can if there are enough of them. Remember, propaganda relies primarily on repetition, not on truth.

by AoT on Mon May 20, 2013 at 03:23:37 PM PDT

•  Actually, that's an idea (3+ / 0-)
                AoT, gulfgal98, Urizen

and not a bad one.  Ray, you're the professional marketer.  But I'd think you might have enough of a list gathered by now to make the core of a Facebook distribution network.

Consider starting a system where everyone on the network distributes a "Meme of the Day" (no, DON'T use that word, of course) -- something pithy, maybe a quote from another revolutionary or group, but a new watchword that people can just automatically post to their Facebook or Google Circles.  A slogan of fifteen words or less, but constantly hitting on the themes we need to push.

I'd suggest finding an individual who is really, really good at one-liners, and delegating this to them as their Job.  The rest of us just set up our streams to propagate.  Make it good enough, and we'll all get a warm fuzzy each morning as we smile and copy our Revelation Of The Day out into the world.

•  Make sure that the various people (2+ / 0-)
                  gulfgal98, Urizen

upload it themselves and don't share it from some central group.

A lot of people are doing this sort of thing already, so there's a lot to choose from out there. This might be one of those things that will just happen on it's own. Maybe just steering it toward a more hopeful message beyond just that some specific group of people are bad.

by AoT on Mon May 20, 2013 at 05:38:06 PM PDT

•  The number of people (0+ / 0-)

who talk about organizing is many, the number who dot it far fewer.

The basic truth is the largest single grass roots organization in the country is OFA.  Chris Hedges won't like that - but they have people who actually work.

Revolutions happen in this country through elections.  Pretending like there is another path to power is sheer denial.

•  Sure thing there (2+ / 0-)
        Ray Pensador, Urizen

OFA is a captured organization. And there are plenty, myself included, who are in fact out doing it. What successes has OFA had? They haven't been able to pass a single piece of progressive legislation and their biggest victory is electing the president. They are a big support network for the status quo.

Unless you're thinking of an organization that didn't help elect a neoliberal president.

Pretending like nothing but elections matter is sheer denial. Go read some history, start with the labor movement. Come back when you have an understanding of social movements.

by AoT on Mon May 20, 2013 at 05:55:46 PM PDT

•  OFA elected a President (0+ / 0-)

against a right wing reactionary movement that spend billions.

What has Chris Hedges done  beside talk?

Want to pretend there is no difference between Obama and the GOP - go ahead.  No one else wants to go where you are going.

I have enourmous problems with Obama - I argued here against trying to run someone against him in the primaries.

You cite movements from 100 years ago.  You think the old AFL or CIO would EVER think of sitting out an election?

There is no answer to fighting and winning primary fights.

•  Like i thought, you've never read you history (1+ / 0-)
            Urizen

OFA is a candidate driven organization and calling it grassroots is flat out wrong. You're grasping at straws now. I never said that we should sit out an election, I argued eighths much spread bullshit talking point that only elections matter. You showed up to shit on people who are trying to organize.

And I note that you still can't cite a single piece of legislation that ofa pushed through. Not one. They get out the vote for Obama and whoever may be riding on his coat tails and then they are abandoned. You don't need to approve of what we're doing here, but it would be great if you could see past your outrage at us to not come back solely to attack people. All you've done is show up tobtell people they're wrong. That's the opposite of useful. Thanks.

by AoT on Mon May 20, 2013 at 07:14:03 PM PDT

•  The fact that you call OFA grass roots (1+ / 0-)
        Urizen

would be laughable if it weren't so idiotic and misguided.

Seriously? This is an organization built and controlled from the top. It doesn't decide what it is going to do.

by AoT on Mon May 20, 2013 at 05:57:22 PM PDT