Skip to main content

View Diary: New report: More seniors living in poverty, and they want to cut Social Security? (83 comments)

Comment Preferences

  •  Like that $1,000 a month really goes a long long (3+ / 0-)
    Recommended by:
    TheSpectator, mcmom, denise b

    way.

    •  Pegged to the poverty level (0+ / 0-)

      Even the Romans threw in free gladiatorial sports!

      "75% of the population has a mental disorder. The remaining 25% are in denial."

    •  HAHAHAHA! (4+ / 0-)
      Recommended by:
      Mr Robert, TheSpectator, mcmom, denise b

      I manage a senior apartment, Section 8.  Forty units, with tenants paying rent equal to 30% of their net income.

      I am located in the wealthiest city in the wealthiest county in WI.  

      Having said that, I have maybe 3 tenants out of 40 who receive $1000/month or more.  The rest of them are WAY below that, down to a low of $300.  

      The majority are in the $600-800 range.  Getting $1000/month would be like winning the lottery for them.

      From that monthly SS, Medicare of roughly $100/month is deducted.  Then you have copays, supplemental insurance premiums if you're lucky, as well as paying for food, utilities, car insurance, clothing, etc from the remainder.  

      When your income is $500/month and Medicare takes $90, rent takes $130, and utilities take another $100, you tell me how they can make it.  Cuz I haven't figured it out yet.

      Your flag decal won't get you into heaven anymore. John Prine -8.00,-5.79

      by Miss Blue on Wed May 22, 2013 at 11:42:23 AM PDT

      [ Parent ]

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

Click here for the mobile view of the site