View Diary: Senate Judiciary Committee approves immigration reform on 13-5 vote (59 comments)

•  and my kids are iT workers (0+ / 0-)

trying to pay off student loans.  We barely get by and we certainly have never exploited anyone.

"If you can't take their money, eat their food, drink their booze and then vote against them, you have no business being up there."

by Betty Pinson on Wed May 22, 2013 at 07:06:35 AM PDT

•  I think JesseCW means... (3+ / 0-)
      rabel, JesseCW, sviscusi

...that the foreign IT workers who get in on H1-B visas are part of the upper class in their home country.

•  No, i've seen his posts on this issue before (0+ / 0-)

He thinks US IT workers are wealthy and don't deserve protection from the dumping of cheap foreign labor in the US market.

by Betty Pinson on Wed May 22, 2013 at 07:13:26 AM PDT

•  Not this time (2+ / 0-)
          JesseCW, ManhattanMan

"... with IT degrees from developing nations"

I'm not looking up his posting history but in this case you are clearly wrong. JesseCW is obviously talking about rich, spoiled, Indians coming over here and taking our IT jobs. My experience with Indian IT workers is similar to his although certainly not all of the Indians I've worked with are spoiled and "rich" in India means something very different than it does here.

My experience is that these Indian workers are not any smarter or have any greater work ethic than US workers.

[Terrorists] are a dime a dozen, they are all over the world and for every one we lock up there will be three to take his place. --Digby

by rabel on Wed May 22, 2013 at 07:18:54 AM PDT

•  You've got that pretty inverted. (0+ / 0-)

Although it's true that I generally hold people who's mumsy and poppsy paid their way through school in pretty low regard, it's got nothing to do with any specific grudge against US trained IT workers in the specific.

The biggest assholes being brought into the country through H1-B Visas tend to be engineers, doctors, and pharmacists - but poor people from extremely economically depressed countries don't get IT degrees.

Maybe I'm missing all those applicants from the favelas and amchi wasti of the world, but none of those I ever met came from them.

This is a way to set an immigration policy the economically discriminates against the poor, and it's shit.

"The thing about smart motherfuckers is that they sound like crazy motherfuckers to dumb motherfuckers." Robert Kirkman

by JesseCW on Wed May 22, 2013 at 07:26:49 AM PDT

•  Thanks, Jesse (1+ / 0-)
            JesseCW

for clearing that up.  I agree, we need to protect US IT workers.

by Betty Pinson on Wed May 22, 2013 at 08:01:46 AM PDT

•  Look I work around those H1B's... (0+ / 0-)

in the IT industry.  Most don't know crap.  I have to keep tossing their code back at them and SHOW them where the errors are.  AND I am not a programmer, I am a Systems and Data Analyst.

Look if the H1B visa mill had to show they hired X% of American workers so they could keep 100-X% of here and the % goes up for American IT workers go up, I would welcome it.

As for pay, the H1B companies get the big bucks from the US companies, but pay them peanuts.  But from where they came from peanuts is gold.

All I care now is to find another position, as my contract is being not renewed as of mid June due to a bad business decision to sell a product we don't have and having to emergency develop, thus going over the allotted $$$ by 8 million.

"Death is the winner in any war." - Nightwish/Imaginareum/Song of myself.

by doingbusinessas on Wed May 22, 2013 at 11:36:22 AM PDT

•  In many developing countries college is free. (1+ / 0-)
            raptavio

So poor people definitely get IT degrees. You seem to have certain biases.

•  And he's dead wrong. (0+ / 0-)

We have just enough religion to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another. -- Jonathan Swift

by raptavio on Wed May 22, 2013 at 10:45:17 AM PDT

•  They're struggling to pay off student loans. (0+ / 0-)

Do you think most of those coming over on H1-B Visas for IT work are?

Do you understand that this is a part of what drives wages down?  They don't have to pay off the cost of a US education.  They can't unionize, because if they lose their job they get deported.  They can't even negotiate for raises, really, because they have no bargaining position.

I've actually seen a pharmacist on H1-B Visa laugh out loud at an American Pharmacist who was talking about his 1,700 dollar a month student loan payment.  He said, flatly, "This why it is a waste to put the poor in Universities.  We don't give them that kind of false hope.  If you needed to borrow tuition money, you didn't belong there".

That's not the kind of immigrants we need to build a nation with compassion.

by JesseCW on Wed May 22, 2013 at 07:17:13 AM PDT

•  Seen that... (0+ / 0-)

Yes,  some Indians have a shitty attitude about class hierarchy.  They bring their caste-based cultural attitudes with them.    I do not like the hierarchical nature of their culture.