View Diary: Free-Market Conservatism Kills-Oklahoma Buildings Don't Have Safe Rooms Because "Regulation Rankles" (220 comments)

•  The $4000 figure for a "safe room" seems high. (5+ / 0-)

If the house is constructed on a concrete slab, then any above ground interior wall closet can be made safe with studs on 12" centers and 4" screws instead of nails and a solid core door. Screw and glue it together to keep out the wind and you are good to go.

"I'm gonna dance between the raindrops"

by IB JOHN on Wed May 22, 2013 at 09:02:32 AM PDT

•  An F5 would take that 'safe room' and (8+ / 0-)

send it to the next county. Really.

An F5 can hurl a 2X4 at 200mph. Put a couple thousand of those 2X4s in the air, and spin them around. I've heard it called a "landfill spinning at 200mph."

"You can never sink so low in life that you can't be a bad example for somebody." - my dad

by briefer on Wed May 22, 2013 at 09:38:52 AM PDT

•  for almost everything but an F5 (2+ / 0-)

because part of the definition of F5 is it scours the concreter of foundations up out of the ground.

•  True. I helped at the site of an F3 one time. (2+ / 0-)
        cassandracarolina, jfromga

The swirling debris "tilled" the yards and there was absolutely no grass visible. Nothing but dirt. And a horse in a tree.

But the 'interior rooms' of most structures stayed intact, and there were no fatalities.

by briefer on Wed May 22, 2013 at 09:44:12 AM PDT

•  I'm willing to believe you. (0+ / 0-)

Could you provide a link for this info?

"I'm gonna dance between the raindrops"

by IB JOHN on Wed May 22, 2013 at 09:44:46 AM PDT

•  Here ya go. (3+ / 0-)
          jfromga, cassandracarolina, pistolSO

Link.

This is classic F5 damage. The Bridge Creek/Moore, Oklahoma, tornado of 3 May 1999 leveled this house, swept the foundation almost completely clean, shredded the house remains into small pieces and scattered the debris downwind to the northeast (rear). The house was relatively well-contructed with slab-to-wall anchor bolts evenly spaced around the bottom plate. Some of those bolts can be seen in this photo, protruding upward from just inside the edges of the concrete slab.
          From NOAA.

by briefer on Wed May 22, 2013 at 10:06:36 AM PDT

•  Thanks Briefer. (0+ / 0-)

But my question was to the parent comment from jfromga. I was replying to his comment. I was hoping for a link regarding the actual definition of an F5 including concrete slab destruction.

"I'm gonna dance between the raindrops"

by IB JOHN on Wed May 22, 2013 at 10:32:41 AM PDT

•  I got it a little backwards (2+ / 0-)
          Ian Reifowitz, drmah

I have slept since I read it, foundations are swept clean, and asphalt has been scoured from parking lots,  not quite as bad, but worse than I ever want to be in:

I think the scale descrpitions were repeated in one of weatherdudes diaries.

The long and the short of it, in an F5, no above ground structure tends to remain in place for a residence,  and even if you follow the links to particular tornadoes, even much heavier steel frame construction, etc., doesn't survive.  The photo examples of damage given in the Fujita scale articles show merely randomly piled debris for the F5.

These storms are rare though, a few that are provable as F5, but I guess Moore must be right in the center of the most favorable conditions for their formation to be hit by two of them.

• Recommended (182)
  • Rescued (23)
  • Education (23)
  • Republicans (22)
  • Politics (21)
  • Barack Obama (21)
  • Freddie Gray (21)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site