View Diary: Tennessee now evenly split on marriage equality; nearly 2/3 support benefits to same-sex partners (36 comments)

•  Those of us who were OUT did this. (12+ / 0-)

Of course we owe a great debt to our straight allies, but none of what we see today would have happened if brave lesbians and gay men of each succeeding generation hadn't been willing to face the worst and come out anyway. I don't think we can pat ourselves on the back quite enough here.

WE engineered one of the biggest, fastest, most successful social movements ever.

We.  Are.  Awesome.  And so are our straight friends.

A slower bleed-out is not a sustainable value.

by MrJayTee on Wed May 22, 2013 at 11:21:08 AM PDT

•  And not to forget! (5+ / 0-)

Goddess help me, I'm running on, but I wanted to add that not only did out lesbians and gay men engineer this massive social change, we did it despite all the organizational and social contentiousness that seemed to drive different parts of the queer community apart.

Despite the feuds, organizational disagreements, and frequent social segregation, we STILL did it.

Important as organizing is, the success of this movement shows the power of personal engagement and one-to-one activism above all, the radical activism of being who you are.

We were the change we wanted, and that made all the difference.

OK, I'm done.

A slower bleed-out is not a sustainable value.

by MrJayTee on Wed May 22, 2013 at 11:41:22 AM PDT

•  And I will add my standard plug: Out as MARRIED (6+ / 0-)

is the next step.

It's easy now, and normal, to say "my significant other ... my sweetie ... my partner ... my spouse".  Nobody even flinches.  But there is a value to asserting "my wife".   People DO flinch, and I find it much harder to say.  And that's exactly how I know it's worth making the effort.

Partly, I supposed, hearers become momemtarily disoriented as they work out whether I am claiming legal rights which in our state don't exist.  But our Candadian marriage license would confer those rights no problem if it weren't for injustice.

Keep on keeping on.  Keep on Coming Out.  It's working.

"The extinction of the human race will come from its inability to EMOTIONALLY comprehend the exponential function." -- Edward Teller

by lgmcp on Wed May 22, 2013 at 12:11:26 PM PDT

•  Indeed! Good job! n/t (0+ / 0-)

If debt were a moral issue then, lacking morals, corporations could never be in debt.

by AoT on Thu May 23, 2013 at 04:44:58 PM PDT

•  Let's pat each other on the back. (0+ / 0-)

Been fighting this fight (in various ways) since the 70's.

Good on us.

I don't mind straight people as long as they act gay in public.

by internationaljock on Thu May 23, 2013 at 04:45:15 PM PDT

•  I wish I could find the quote (0+ / 0-)

from former Iranian President Mohammed Khatami, but I'll just have to paraphrase.  He said that when religion and love are in conflict, love wins.

I am taken aback by how quickly this is happening.  You are right... the engine driving this is for people to come out, for everyone to know someone who's gay, to realize that this is about love and not just about sex.

We just recorded a short "straight but not narrow" style video for a project of immigrants talking to other immigrants about making this transition.  They made some wonderful points: "In this a new country, accepting others is what we need to do to become Americans...  Maintaining love over a lifetime is hard enough, so why trash someone else for who they love?  I ran a jazz club in Nigeria and half the musicians I knew were gay, but they couldn't talk about it.  That's crazy.  They were my friends; I wish they were here so they could be themselves."

What happens here still affects the rest of the planet.  We think about American wars and hegemony in a negative light, but people all over the world know what a rainbow flag is, and as our society lives up in some small way to equality it will have a far wider effect.

“If the misery of the poor be caused not by the laws of nature, but by our institutions, great is our sin.” Charles Darwin

by ivorybill on Thu May 23, 2013 at 05:04:23 PM PDT

•  Harvey Milk was right (0+ / 0-)

Politics is like driving. To go backward put it in R. To go forward put it in D.
      Drop by The Grieving Room on Monday nights for support in dealing with grief.

by TrueBlueMajority on Thu May 23, 2013 at 06:24:00 PM PDT