View Diary: Books Go Boom!   Bob Dylan's Birthday: Are Rock Lyrics Poetry? (243 comments)

•  Great List! (3+ / 0-)
    Monsieur Georges, Brecht, DuzT

I was gonna mention Randy Newman, Tom Waits, David Byrne, and Jonathan Richman, too.

And Warren Zevon is one of my favorites. John Lennon and Harry Nilsson. Simon and Garfunkel (some songs, but not all of them -- I despise Bridge Over Troubled Water and Feelin’ Groovy (59th St. Bridge Song)).

Cole Porter was a poet, too.

"Stupid just can't keep its mouth shut." -- SweetAuntFanny's grandmother.

by Dbug on Sat May 25, 2013 at 08:54:00 PM PDT

•  What I love about 'Bridge Over Troubled Water' is, (3+ / 0-)

Simon was pretty sick of working with Garfunkle, but he did know exactly what his voice was capable of, so he wrote him a showcase for it.

In memory of Warren Zevon, here's his own witty, wistful farewell, My Ride's Here:

I was staying at the Marriott
      With Jesus and John Wayne
      I was waiting for a chariot
      They were waiting for a train
      The sky was full of carrion
      "I'll take the mazuma"
      Said Jesus to Marion
      "That's the 3:10 to Yuma
      My ride's here..."

The Houston sky was changeless
      We galloped through bluebonnets
      I was wrestling with an angel
      You were working on a sonnet
      You said, "I believe the seraphim
      Will gather up my pinto
      And carry me away, Jim
      Across the San Jacinto
      My ride's here..."

Shelley and Keats were out in the street
      And even Lord Byron was leaving for Greece
      While back at the Hilton, last but not least
      Milton was holding his sides
      Saying, "You bravos had better be
      Ready to fight
      Or we'll never get out of East Texas tonight
      The trail is long and the river is wide
      And my ride's here"

I was staying at the Westin
      I was playing to a draw
      In walked Charlton Heston
      With the Tablets of the Law
      He said, "It's still the Greatest Story"
      I said, "Man, I'd like to stay
      But I'm bound for glory
      I'm on my way
      My ride's here . . ."

"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth" Samuel Johnson

by Brecht on Sat May 25, 2013 at 10:05:16 PM PDT

•  I waiting for someone to mention Warren Zevon (4+ / 0-)

I have a few more:
      Jello Biafra, Dead Kennedys (and, yes, I'm serious)
      Chuck D, Public Enemy (ditto)
      Neil Peart, Rush
      Bob Mould, Husker Du
      Matt Johnson, The The

I can see Canada from my house. No, really, I can.

by DuzT on Sun May 26, 2013 at 04:14:26 AM PDT

•  I like all your choices, and the originality of (3+ / 0-)

them - though I haven't paid much attention to Rush's lyrics since I followed along to Hemispheres.

The The was the same - I studied and lived with Soul Mining, but just listened to them as music after that.

Jello Biafra and Chuck D are both savage urban poets, with great senses of humor and outrage.

I liked Husker Du's Zen Arcade energy, but I love all the shades of beauty on Warehouse.

"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth" Samuel Johnson

by Brecht on Sun May 26, 2013 at 10:27:39 AM PDT

•  If you get the chance... (1+ / 0-)
          Brecht

Check out Mind Bomb by The The.  Some absolutely amazing poetry there.

I can see Canada from my house. No, really, I can.

by DuzT on Tue May 28, 2013 at 05:09:03 AM PDT

•  I have the album. I just noticed Johnny Marr more (0+ / 0-)

than the lyrics. But I'll study them next time I listen to it.

"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth" Samuel Johnson