View Diary: "Where were you on the night of June 10th, 2013?" (77 comments)

•  Question. (1+ / 0-)
    bobtmn

No I don't have a problem with that, I don't know why it's a big deal. When I'm in public people can see me they see where I go. This is nothing new.

But let me ask, how would you feel if *I* was the one doing it? Because ANYONE can do this and the only way to stop it is to put massive taking on things like "taking photographs" and "processing data"

Do we really want to live in the kind of country that says "no you can't run that kind of computer program!!" or "no you can aggregate that data!"

I don't!

•  I don't care if you do it. (14+ / 0-)

Or if Google does it (assuming the situation with them sharing it with the NSA is resolved).

I care specifically if the government does it, because the government is the organization we've trusted with the guns and the prisons and the ability to use force to control people.

You can't really do anything to me with the information you collect. Google can't do much (maybe try to sell me stuff? who cares?)

But the government can use the information to (for instance) connect me to a crime. Or worse things.

"Let’s just move on, treat everybody with firmness, fairness, dignity, compassion and respect. Let’s be Marines." - Sgt. Maj Michael Barrett on DADT repeal

by kyril on Mon Jun 10, 2013 at 08:12:20 PM PDT

•  Google can sell it (0+ / 0-)

The technology to do this is new and creates a new kind of problem.   We cannot go back twenty years to a time when this sort of thing was impossible.     Anyone who thinks they can ban the government or private services from doing this sort of thing is proposing a far more comprehensive form of control than the monitoring itself represents.

Once a technology exists, our only option is to control and monitor how it is used.    Banning the collection and correlation of this kind of information would just drive it further into secrecy, where it cannot be monitored at all, or drive it to the private sector where its use would be to make as much money as possible by using and selling the information.

I am nostalgic for a time when we had privacy simply because there was no way to track all this information.   Now that there is a way, we need to control it, not drive it underground.

Religion gives men the strength to do what should not be done.

by bobtmn on Tue Jun 11, 2013 at 06:07:47 AM PDT

•  So here's a question - where does the (1+ / 0-)
          kbman

Tens of billions of dollars needed to have these programs and the computer devices and machinery, and the personnel and the newly constructed buildings  to come from? If people are upset about this, wait till they realize how much of our tax dollars have gone off to pay for this stuff. So yes, we do have a say - I don't know anyone my age who wants to give up their Social Security in order to have this God damn police state remain funded at such extreme levels.

Both parties have been making it clear that there is no money for schools, or libraries, or fire fighters or anything, but now we find out that these expensive surveillance programs are in place. Are you kidding me? Maybe Obama should start with CPI cuts for these damn programs!

Offer your heart some Joy every day of your life, and spread it along to others.

by Truedelphi on Tue Jun 11, 2013 at 10:39:24 PM PDT

•  Actually, I for one, have become more (0+ / 0-)

Pro gun over the last eight years, than I ever thought I would live to be. Why? Because I remember back in the 1980's, how it is that the folks in the ghetto suddenly got all these high powered rifles and what not. The government's own CIA left tons of weaponry on flat cars parked in railroad yards, and let the word slip on the street, and then guns were everywhere.

If the police can have guns, and folks in the ghetto will have guns, I sure as heck think normal people deserve 'em too. And yes, I know I sure can't stop the SWAT team with one gun, but at least I would go down fighting. And the revelations over how Big Brother-ish our government has become is not decreasing  that feeling one small bit.

by Truedelphi on Tue Jun 11, 2013 at 10:35:18 PM PDT

•  if you were doing it it would be called stalking (16+ / 0-)

and you could go to jail.

Using multiple cameras around a city to create a map of every license plate and it's travels is well beyond the edge of privacy.....

Vaya con Dios Don Alejo
      I want to die a slave to principles. Not to men.
      Emiliano Zapata

by buddabelly on Mon Jun 10, 2013 at 09:12:31 PM PDT

•  No, you don't have a right to tail me around and (6+ / 0-)

photograph me without my authorization.  And if I found you doing it I could slap a restraining order on you.  And yes, even if you are fine with your phone recording every time you exceed the speed limit or visit a shady part of town, I'm not.  Maybe you have no ambition in life and see no reason not to acquiesce to blackmail because you cannot ever fathom yourself doing something controversial and will gladly roll when first confronted, but that is not me and that is not the society I want to live in.

To any wingnut: If you pay my taxes I'll give you a job.

by ban48 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 at 07:33:40 AM PDT