View Diary: Watch: Senator Tim Kaine Rocked His Entire Floor Speech in Spanish (77 comments)

•  Yeah, my once fluent Spanish is definitely... (14+ / 0-)

...not what it was. I can understand a speech and read perfectly, but producing conversation has become harder the more I am away from it.

by Meteor Blades on Tue Jun 11, 2013 at 05:39:27 PM PDT

•  Dunno. (13+ / 0-)

mrs. litho is Chilean and most of our conversations are in Spanish.  And, of course, I teach Spanish in high school all day, so switching back and forth is pretty much what I do all the time.

I'm not going to say my Spanish is as good as it was when I left Chile thirteen years ago, because it's not, but I will say that todavía me defiendo bastante bien.

Kaine's Spanish is good, certainly better than I expected when I read the diary, and I'll just leave it there.  I commend him for giving the speech in Spanish.  It was a gutsy move, and he pulled it off well.

When the union's inspiration /Through the workers' blood shall run /There can be no power greater /Anywhere beneath the sun /Solidarity Forever!

by litho on Tue Jun 11, 2013 at 05:51:48 PM PDT

•  As an English Speaker (7+ / 0-)

I could tell that his speech was accented, a bit awkward, but intelligible.  It could have been much, much worse:

I applaud Sen. Kaine.

"I'll believe that corporations are people when I see Rick Perry execute one."

by bink on Tue Jun 11, 2013 at 06:13:03 PM PDT

•  English is my first language, but I speak enough (3+ / 0-)
          on the cusp, RiveroftheWest, Powell

French that I can usually get the gist of Spanish. And I could get the gist of the Senator's speech. Kudos to him. His English accent did help, though.

It has been a while, but there have been speeches delivered in the Nova Scotia House of Assembly in Gaelic, at least in part.

-8.38, -7.74 My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. - Jack Layton

by Wreck Smurfy on Tue Jun 11, 2013 at 06:31:07 PM PDT

•  I surprised myself (0+ / 0-)

After reading some comments while the speech was playing, I went to watch it and concentrating, could get the gist of it with more actual words and phrases than I would have supposed I could.

Never studied Spanish, but know some French, grew up in the Bronx and have lived in AZ for 17 years. I think I must have picked some up by osmosis.

Years ago with a little Yiddish I could get the gist of an article written in Afrikaans, but that was reading.

Being attentive to the needs of others might not be the point of life, but it is the work of life. It can be ... almost impossibly difficult. But it is not something we give. It is what we get in exchange for having to die. - Jonathan Safran Foer

by ramara on Wed Jun 12, 2013 at 01:36:37 AM PDT

•  O, mon Dieu. I just watched your linked video. (1+ / 0-)
          Rich in PA

That is just sad. Harper has gotten worse in every other way since 1991, but at least his French has improved. Considerably.

by Wreck Smurfy on Tue Jun 11, 2013 at 06:39:09 PM PDT

•  Try the beer technique. It works. n/r (4+ / 0-)

You know, I sometimes think if I could see, I'd be kicking a lot of ass. -Stevie Wonder at the Glastonbury Festival, 2010

by Rich in PA on Tue Jun 11, 2013 at 06:06:06 PM PDT

•  The sounds you have to make with your mouth (0+ / 0-)

are not all made in English.  When I speak a long time in one language after using the other for weeks, I'll end up with a sore face from using muscles which were left unused for a while. :-)

Anyway, yes, daily use helps a lot.

by YucatanMan on Wed Jun 12, 2013 at 12:18:26 AM PDT