View Diary: this was offered as a comment (49 comments)

•  Spoken like a pro: No "DIRECT" subsidies, at all.. (3+ / 0-)

...I rest my case.

"I always thought if you worked hard enough and tried hard enough, things would work out. I was wrong." --Katharine Graham

by bobswern on Tue Jun 11, 2013 at 05:16:18 PM PDT

•  Tax incentives which equal scores of billions... (3+ / 0-)
      3goldens, lostinamerica, allenjo

...per year--money which could be going to support education, jobs, climate change initiatives--are doing, and have done, as much to CRIPPLE our society as anything (other than, perhaps, the tremendous costs for healthcare and support of our MIC and our needless wars over the past decade-plus) else in our society. And, that's about as BASIC as it gets.

by bobswern on Tue Jun 11, 2013 at 05:19:20 PM PDT

•  Taxpayers don't contribute a dime of subsidy (0+ / 0-)

money.  Not a dime.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." - Thomas Paine

by shrike on Tue Jun 11, 2013 at 05:20:16 PM PDT

•  Then back up what you said with factual data. (2+ / 0-)
        lostinamerica, allenjo

I've been reading Neil Barofsky's book and I don't think you are at all accurate in what you're saying here.  In any case, you frequently just make flat statements, and you need to be aware that that's not good enough.  You could stop the time you waste going back and forth if you would just back up what you're saying with fact.  Your opinion in and of itself doesn't mean a thing without the data to back it up.  I'd think you wouldn't need to be told this.

"A voice is heard in Ramah, weeping and great mourning, Rachel weeping for her children and refusing to be comforted, because they are no more." - from the prophet Jeremiah

by 3goldens on Tue Jun 11, 2013 at 05:28:47 PM PDT

•  There are no direct subsidies. How can I cite (1+ / 0-)
          anna shane

something that does not exist?

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." - Thomas Paine

by shrike on Tue Jun 11, 2013 at 06:11:44 PM PDT

•  There must be articles that source (1+ / 0-)
            allenjo

to what bobswern is talking about and that you are denying.  If you're too unwilling to do the research, that's a different matter.

by 3goldens on Tue Jun 11, 2013 at 06:36:12 PM PDT

•  It's nearly impossible to prove a negative (0+ / 0-)

If I say "dragons don't exist" and you say "dragons do exist," you're making the positive claim of the existence of dragons. The burden of proof is on you. Not me. It's not my job to prove your crazy theory is wrong.

It's very hard to prove a negative. If you have evidence to prove you're right, let's see it.

Another example. Let's say someone says UFOs are visiting Earth and brainwashing people to vote Republican and eat Wheaties. So I then say, "I don't believe that." Then the other person says, "Prove it! Prove to me that UFOs are not visiting earth and making people eat Wheaties." No. The other person made the claim. It's not my job to prove that a crazy theory is crazy.

"Stupid just can't keep its mouth shut." -- SweetAuntFanny's grandmother.

by Dbug on Tue Jun 11, 2013 at 11:56:14 PM PDT

•  Please explain: "Spoken like a pro" (0+ / 0-)

almost sounds like an accusation of shilling. I'm sure that's not at all what you meant, so I thought I'd ask you to clarify.

I'd like to start a new meme: "No means no" is a misnomer. It should be "Only 'Yes' means yes." Just because someone doesn't say "No" doesn't mean they've given consent. If she didn't say "Yes", there is no consent.

by second gen on Tue Jun 11, 2013 at 05:21:32 PM PDT