View Diary: Old white man decides to leave military sexual assault decisions in the hands of old white men (175 comments)

•  Old white men? (8+ / 0-)

Is it necessary?

So I guess if you're white and over 45 you must not have a care in the world for women's rights.

Thanks.

The care of human life and happiness, and not their destruction, is the first and only legitimate object of good government. - Thomas Jefferson

by ctexrep on Wed Jun 12, 2013 at 08:29:35 AM PDT

•  Exactly why I won't recommend this diary or (2+ / 0-)
      DocGonzo, ksuwildkat

any other with this title. I guess it could have been "Old White Men, Appointed by a Middle-Aged Black Man."

"Oh, I am heartily tired of hearing about what Lee is going to do..... Go back to your command, and try to think what are we going to do ourselves, instead of what Lee is going to do." Grant

by shigeru on Wed Jun 12, 2013 at 08:37:06 AM PDT

•  It could have been (3+ / 0-)
        gffish, shigeru, Wisper

Corrupt military brass...Insensitive Military.....Sexist Military - add politicians too.

The title just rubbed me the wrong way...I guess I'm getting more pissy as I get older...:-)

I think it's disgusting that sexual assault got swept under the carpet - I think people who allowed it to go unpunished should be brought up on charges.

by ctexrep on Wed Jun 12, 2013 at 08:49:34 AM PDT

•  I like the term "silver backs" better than (0+ / 0-)

"old white men," as I am married to one, and he is not a silver back.

I think, therefore I am. I think.

by mcmom on Wed Jun 12, 2013 at 09:17:09 AM PDT

•  I don't like that either. Think what would (1+ / 0-)
            ksuwildkat

happen if we referred to older black men as silver haired gorillas. Or Mexican Americans as white haired macaques. There is a lot of subtle ageism and racism among some that they don't recognize yet. Maybe a sign of their anger or callowness. Maybe something more evil.

by shigeru on Wed Jun 12, 2013 at 09:38:53 AM PDT

•  Truth be told, it's the power that corrupts... (0+ / 0-)

I've known more than a few females in the service who abused their power every bit as much as we accuse the 'old white men' generals of doing...including a few who explicitly trolled for sexual harrassment incidents.  They were in the minority, of course, but they did--and do--exist.

As I've said in other comments, it's all about the chain of command at every level - and that includes those female officers in command positions below those of the 'old white men.'

The word "parent" is supposed to be a VERB, people...

by wesmorgan1 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 at 11:37:28 AM PDT

•  The title refers specifically to Levin. (4+ / 0-)
      JayBat, ctexrep, aliasalias, mint julep

In the diary

Basically, the old white men in charge of the military
      And the picture is further backup.

No insult to older white guys globally. We need and appreciate their support.

by Ginny in CO on Wed Jun 12, 2013 at 08:57:45 AM PDT

•  Thanks (2+ / 0-)
        Ginny in CO, mint julep

Most of us do support women as well....hell, I'm married to one - I have the utmost love, respect and admiration for women - and now that I've had time to re-read everything - I guess I was being a little sensitive but, I still think there's better characterizations' without having to dip to "Old" and "White Men".  Maybe if one more adjective could have been used....say "Smelly" or "Fat" - I could have given myself a pass on the generalization!

by ctexrep on Wed Jun 12, 2013 at 09:21:43 AM PDT

•  You're welcome, :) (3+ / 0-)
          ctexrep, aliasalias, mint julep

I'm always pleased to see really supportive comments from guys who are even very angry themselves. I also know that a lot of us from the first rebirth of the feminist movement, look back on 40 years with pretty much the same assessment of civil rights progress. The superficial changes cover all kinds of ugly stuff that is even worse.

Discussion on the morning after pill being allowed distribution to any age. The cons are up in arms because it tells young girls it's ok to have sex early.

Have they not paid attention to advertising, beauty contest ages and dress, entertainment, and all the other messages that promote sexuality, at young ages? Nor do they pay attention to the results of good sex education classes.

Sex comes very naturally. You need education to know what NOT to do and why.  Eve might not have listened to that snake if the lord had done some educating. That was the first rejection of Christianity for me. Don't eat from the tree of knowledge and if you do, to hell with you.

by Ginny in CO on Wed Jun 12, 2013 at 09:56:34 AM PDT

•  I'm an old guy with white hair and here's what I (3+ / 0-)
          Ginny in CO, mint julep, RoseWeaver

think about this diary.....(drum roll) I love it and posted it on my Facebook wall.

This stuff pisses me off to no end and I think the title is perfect because it doesn't have anything to do with all old white haired men, but those (not just Levin) in positions of responsibility in this system.

without the ants the rainforest dies

by aliasalias on Wed Jun 12, 2013 at 03:43:08 PM PDT

•  Nice try but give it up (0+ / 0-)

"Old white man decides to leave military sexual assault decisions in the hands of old white men"

Amazing that we can proclaim equality for all and then use pejorative terms when it suits things.

It is well that war is so terrible -- lest we should grow too fond of it. Robert E. Lee

by ksuwildkat on Wed Jun 12, 2013 at 11:15:27 AM PDT

•  The obsession with titles this week (1+ / 0-)
          RoseWeaver

is really nuts.  I frankly did not care much for a FP writer who left recently for a better job, because of the swearing, ugly insinuations and hyperbole in those posts. I had stopped reading them well over a year ago.

Read the LONG answer to your other response down thread.  No, I don't 'give up'. I can be persuaded to change my perspective.

I have advocated repeatedly that people have a neon sticky on their monitor with Kind? True? Necessary? I change the color and location about every 6 weeks to keep from ignoring it. Unless I am really tired or peeved, I usually catch and remove the unnecessary, unkind and opinion more than truth items. Sometimes I put one in knowing full well it will need to be removed. Putting it in writing can be as good as posting. Journaling is about processing emotions that are barriers and weights.

I also live with the reality of human emotions, interactions, etc. Sometimes ignore is a very good stress management tactic. The title, the whole diary...

by Ginny in CO on Wed Jun 12, 2013 at 05:27:46 PM PDT

•  OK, I should add that one of (1+ / 0-)
            mint julep

my experiences with inappropriate sexual advances, age 12, was with my own, old, white grandfather. Who had raped my mother from age 9 to 14.

It's a memory I don't have to struggle to retrieve.

by Ginny in CO on Wed Jun 12, 2013 at 05:33:54 PM PDT

•  I have to support Laura C. on this one. (3+ / 0-)
      RoseWeaver, mint julep, splashy

As an old white man myself, I find it incredibly offensive that one old white man and a group of other old white men - who have already shown themselves to be incapable of dealing with criminal behavior in their own organization - have been put in charge of monitoring their own behavior.
      Laura's essay does not say that all old white men can't possibly monitor the practice of rape in the military. However the idea that an aging senator and the group of old white men who have been abetting this practice for years should take the place of Sen. Gillibrand's proposed professionals who are trained in this area (old or not, white or not, male or not) is patently sexist. Laura Clawson is correct to point this out.

•  Thank you for understanding her point. n/t (0+ / 0-)

"One sees clearly only with the heart. What is essential is invisible to the eye." - The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

by RoseWeaver on Wed Jun 12, 2013 at 11:44:15 AM PDT

•  Well said (1+ / 0-)
        RoseWeaver

After all, the reason they are able to do this is because they are old white men that have been running things for a very long time.

They have blocked anyone else from getting much power as much as they could. It's been a good 'ol boys club, where anyone that isn't a white male is not allowed.

Women create the entire labor force. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Sympathy is the strongest instinct in human nature. - Charles Darwin

by splashy on Thu Jun 13, 2013 at 12:00:56 PM PDT

•  Since they ARE all older white men (1+ / 0-)
      RoseWeaver

And have insisted they know better than anyone else, especially women, basically because they are old white men, why not call them that?

by splashy on Thu Jun 13, 2013 at 11:56:49 AM PDT