View Diary: Old white man decides to leave military sexual assault decisions in the hands of old white men (175 comments)

•  "Reported" being the operative term. (6+ / 0-)

How many went UNreported?  At least twice that number, I'd venture.

"Give to every other human being every right that you claim for yourself." - Robert G. Ingersoll

by Apost8 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 at 08:42:44 AM PDT

•  Right - just make up stuff (0+ / 0-)

You know, rather than have actual facts, just make crap up.

It is well that war is so terrible -- lest we should grow too fond of it. Robert E. Lee

by ksuwildkat on Wed Jun 12, 2013 at 11:21:21 AM PDT

•  Most rapes go unreported, it's a studied fact (4+ / 0-)
        aliasalias, Apost8, RoseWeaver, splashy

What is your evidence the military is any different?

•  None (0+ / 0-)

But because I dont have any I dont just make up stuff like "at least twice that."  ANd when you consider the 26K are the ones reported through the informal, anonymous system it is more likely they it is a number closer to the truth, especially when you consider that is almost 10 times the number of formal reports.

Now having been a commander I can tell you that receiving a complain is only the first step.  I have NEVER been able to convince a victim to press charges in a marginal case.  I have had both male and female victims decide they consented rather than go forward with formal charges.  I knew they had been raped and I knew who did it but I couldn't do anything about it because they wouldn't file a complaint.  I also had to deal with two cases of "revenge" accusations.

Those are facts I know.  i dont make up ones I don't.

by ksuwildkat on Wed Jun 12, 2013 at 05:02:06 PM PDT

•  Whatever (0+ / 0-)

Only 46% of rapes are reported: source

That means, for the 26000 rapes that were reported, there were approximately 56522 that weren't.  My estimation (what you call "making stuff up") was below that figure.

by Apost8 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 at 06:39:51 PM PDT

•  Whatever (0+ / 0-)

Only 46% of rapes are reported: source

by Apost8 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 at 06:42:15 PM PDT

•  math is hard (0+ / 0-)

3374 were REPORTED.  THe 26K number is for the equivalent of putting stuff in a suggestion box.  Those 26,000 complaints range from inappropriate jokes to sexual assault.  If you want to double 3374 and say it is probable there were over 6000 rapes in the military last year you will get no argument from me.

by ksuwildkat on Wed Jun 12, 2013 at 08:33:15 PM PDT

•  My argument still stands. (0+ / 0-)

You being a dick doesn't change that.

by Apost8 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 at 05:42:40 PM PDT