View Diary: Solving Rape? - A Very Short Statement For Those Who Just Don't Get It! (358 comments)

•  I can't beleive you said this, and who rec'd it. (7+ / 0-)

serendipityisabitch, twigg, Buckeye Nut Schell, eru, gustynpip, BlackSheep1, grollen, Kevskos

Seriously?  You all stand behind this statement?

And no particular type of man rapes either, could be anyone under the 'right' circumstances (when they are stronger and think they can get away with it.)
    Really?  You are all going to rec that shit?  For fucking real?

That's one of the most outrageous things I've EVER read on this fucking website, and that's saying something.

And it got 8 recs so far and not one HR?

Are you KIDDING me?

"It puts the lotion on its skin, or it gets the GOP again." - The Democratic Party

by Rick Aucoin on Mon Jun 17, 2013 at 02:44:05 PM PDT

•  I think that's because you can't tell (2+ / 0-)
      kyril, anna shane

Which men are the rapists. Rapists tend to do quite well at blending in, at looking innocent. That's how they manage to keep doing it.

That being said,  I did not recommend because of the poor wording.

Women create the entire labor force. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Sympathy is the strongest instinct in human nature. - Charles Darwin

by splashy on Mon Jun 17, 2013 at 02:48:25 PM PDT

•  That's not what it says. (4+ / 0-)
        kyril, Reepicheep, dejavu, Hamtree

That might be what you thought it meant, but that is NOT what the commenter said.

F'ing outrageous.

by Rick Aucoin on Mon Jun 17, 2013 at 02:59:40 PM PDT

•  why so upset? (1+ / 0-)
          splashy

How do  you know it isn't true?  If one out of three women has been sexually assaulted, you think that's just a handful of bad apples?  All you can say is you wouldn't rape. If you're a guy, ask some of your buddies, but without telling them what you want to hear.  Many will admit to the one time, when there was an opportunity.  They'll later be sorry.  But the woman will have been raped.

If there is no opportunity, they won't manufacture one, but if there is?

if you find it f'ing outrageous, how do you think the woman feels.

or better, ask you female friends, who raped or tried to rape them and what were the circumstances.

"oh no, not four more years of hope and change?" Karl Christian Rove

by anna shane on Mon Jun 17, 2013 at 09:12:24 PM PDT

•  Yeah, fuck you. (2+ / 1-)
            salamanderanagram, Hamtree
            Hidden by:
            serendipityisabitch

Just, fuck you, you horrible wretched person.

Go ahead, get anyone you can to come HR this comment, but you deserve it.

Fuck you.

You're wrong, and you're spreading vile fucking lies.

Fuck you.

by Rick Aucoin on Mon Jun 17, 2013 at 09:55:36 PM PDT

•  I don't know whether anna is right or wrong (0+ / 0-)

and neither do you. Not enough solid data either way. In any case, your opinion of her opinion doesn't justify your comment. HR'd

At least half the future I've been expecting hasn't gotten here yet. Sigh.... (Yes, there's gender bias in my name; no, I wasn't thinking about it when I signed up. My apologies.)

by serendipityisabitch on Mon Jun 17, 2013 at 11:20:31 PM PDT

•  ill wear that hr proudly. (0+ / 0-)

There isn't enough evidence to disprove the statement that almost all men are rapists at heart and only don't rape from fear of being caught?

Yeah.  Fuck you too.

by Rick Aucoin on Mon Jun 17, 2013 at 11:34:44 PM PDT

•  If you want to disprove that men are rapists (1+ / 0-)
                  splashy

(and my belief, though not my knowledge, is that most men aren't under most circumstances), don't you think you might want to find words that don't undercut your point?

Aren't you saying "Although I'm ready to use these words against you this way, trust me that I won't follow them up with actions because I'm just not that kind of a guy. I'm just saying fuck you because it's such a great way to end an argument, not because I'd ever mean anything by it."?

Think about it.

by serendipityisabitch on Tue Jun 18, 2013 at 02:14:33 AM PDT

•  Right. (0+ / 0-)

Because every guy I've flipped the bird at or said 'fuck you' to was a threat of rape.

How pathetic, like accusing all men of being rapists at heart isn't enough, you want to play pedantic and dishonest games with generic insults?

Done with speaking to you, for sure.

by Rick Aucoin on Tue Jun 18, 2013 at 04:04:55 AM PDT

•  Why so angry? (1+ / 0-)
              serendipityisabitch

Seriously, why are you reacting so strongly?

Is there some personal issue involving this that you are thinking about?

They idea is to get people thinking about things, and how it is from the point of view of others.

by splashy on Tue Jun 18, 2013 at 11:46:52 AM PDT

•  According to the Numbers Posted Above by Kyril (0+ / 0-)

4% of the men in the study were serial rapists with an average of 7 offenses.  Collectively this accounts for assaults against 28% of women, or close to the one in three that you cite.

So that one man in twenty five is the problem.  Is that "just a handful of bad apples?"  Of course not, especially as that phrase is generally used to sweep the problem under the rug.  It does, however, caution against tarring all men as potential rapists.

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies have nothing to lose but their chains -Marx (-8.75,-8.36)

by alain2112 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 at 11:03:13 PM PDT

•  I have to admit, I was reccing the paragraphs (1+ / 0-)
      anna shane

above that, and didn't take that particular statement apart.

And no, now that you've pointed it out I can't say that I'd rec it by itself. But, without going back and counting words, I'd say there was about half of the comment I agreed with, a third that I didn't particularly disagree with, and that piece. If I'd paid attention, I might have put a comment in about the characterization of men that was made, but I'd still have recced the comment.

by serendipityisabitch on Mon Jun 17, 2013 at 03:39:57 PM PDT

•  Really, classifying all men as rapists. (3+ / 0-)
        Reepicheep, jeff in nyc, Hamtree

Okay, thanks for your... opinion of men.

One wonders just exactly how vile the "second half" of a comment would have to be before it earns your HR or at least loses your support.

I don't wonder enough to ask you to answer, though, please, I've heard enough of your opinions already, and the others who rec'd up that vile piece of shit.

by Rick Aucoin on Mon Jun 17, 2013 at 03:44:42 PM PDT

•  My opinion about men? Mostly I like 'em a whole (1+ / 0-)
          mamamorgaine

lot.  On the other hand, I've never been subjected to any major amount of sexual pressure. Being 6'2" and around 190# at the age of 13 may have had something to do with that.

That doesn't mean I don't know women who are, simply, afraid of men in general. The "all men are potentially rapists" theme is one of the backlash positions to "all women are sluts". If you are raised to be afraid of men, it's a hard position from which to find countering data.

What I hear you saying is that any woman who holds that position or accepts that it seems valid to some other women, is beneath your contempt. I'm very sorry to hear that.

by serendipityisabitch on Mon Jun 17, 2013 at 04:04:45 PM PDT

•  No, the comment said... (6+ / 0-)

... flat out, no equivocation, that all men are potential rapists.

And that's fucking bullshit.

by Rick Aucoin on Mon Jun 17, 2013 at 05:59:58 PM PDT

•  women must view all men as potential rapists (0+ / 0-)

if they want to avoid being raped.  And under the right circumstances most men would rape.  For example, in war, that's statistically factual.  It's called a war phenomenon.  Maybe not a woman of their class.

"oh no, not four more years of hope and change?" Karl Christian Rove

by anna shane on Mon Jun 17, 2013 at 09:15:01 PM PDT

•  Yeah, fuck that. (1+ / 0-)
                Hamtree

And for fucking SHAME on you for even saying it, much less BELIEVING such a thing and spreading around such vile fucking lies.

For fucking shame.

by Rick Aucoin on Mon Jun 17, 2013 at 09:54:07 PM PDT

•  so, anna you think that (0+ / 0-)

women can avoid being raped it they view all men as potential rapists?

Wow, you are wed to the idea that all men are potential rapists.

In war there is one big difference; rape is a tool to break down the opposing population. It is done for the purpose of humiliation and to destroy relationships in the resident opposing populations.

Many men who get caught up in the war time gang rapes suffer from their own actions after the war.

I'm asking you to believe. Not in my ability to bring about real change in Washington ... *I'm asking you to believe in yours.* Barack Obama

by samddobermann on Mon Jun 17, 2013 at 10:37:46 PM PDT

•  Why "in war there is a big difference?" (0+ / 0-)

Rape isn't a strategic "tool;" it's a war crime, and what in the world is this?

Translation: "Many men get caught up in the war time gang rapes"  None of these guys are personally responsible for their crimes - forces beyond them made them do it.

Translation: "[they] suffer from their own actions after the war" Poor guys.  They are victims too.

No.  If a man chooses to rape another human being they have chosen to commit a vile, violent assault on an innocent, non-combatant, and they are a war criminal.  I don't care if they "feel bad;" the person they violated deserves justice and the rapist deserves jail.

Plutocracy (noun) Greek ploutokratia, from ploutos wealth; 1) government by the wealthy; 2) 21st c. U.S.A.; 3) 22nd c. The World

by bkamr on Tue Jun 18, 2013 at 05:01:36 AM PDT

•  No. Absolutely not (3+ / 0-)
                Richard Lyon, Indexer, Rick Aucoin

As others have pointed out, if that's how you want to proceed through life for your own safety, I won't argue with that. But this woman does not and will not view all men as potential rapists.

Your idea that rape is an issue of opportunity implies that A) rape is about sex and B) men are all savages who cannot control their sexual urges.

That is not true of most men that I know, and I know a LOT of men. I've been drunk and alone with a lot of men. They are my friends for a reason. They're not simple savages that can only think with their dicks.

I understand what you're trying to say here, but I think you're a bit out of your depth and should probably stop talking.

P.S. I am not a crackpot.

by BoiseBlue on Tue Jun 18, 2013 at 05:34:21 AM PDT

•  You are correct. I have removed my tip (3+ / 0-)
      Rick Aucoin, madhaus, BoiseBlue

I apologise. I habitually tip most comments in my own Diaries. In this instance I wasn't paying attention.

Sorry.

I hope that the quality of debate will improve,
      but I fear we will remain Democrats.

Who is twigg?

by twigg on Mon Jun 17, 2013 at 11:07:22 PM PDT

•  Thanks, twigg. (1+ / 0-)
        twigg

Your name was the only one in that list that it really horrified me to see, I know, or hoped I knew, your postings and positions on the subject better than that.

Damned upsetting that anyone would make such a comment and it get so many recs and no hr's.

Asshole comments are a dime a dozen here, but for one like this to be rec'd by so many is just nauseating.

by Rick Aucoin on Mon Jun 17, 2013 at 11:48:09 PM PDT

•  correction, your name and AoT's (0+ / 0-)

I've rec'd a thousand comments by AoT over the years, I can't believe he uprated this thing.

I'm going to just walk away from this now.  Its pushed me over the line and I'm just going to tell myself that one comment like this uprated by so many is really just an aberation and doesn't really reflect the Daily Kos community.

Surely.