View Diary: Solving Rape? - A Very Short Statement For Those Who Just Don't Get It! (358 comments)

•  I have to admit, I was reccing the paragraphs (1+ / 0-)
    anna shane

above that, and didn't take that particular statement apart.

And no, now that you've pointed it out I can't say that I'd rec it by itself. But, without going back and counting words, I'd say there was about half of the comment I agreed with, a third that I didn't particularly disagree with, and that piece. If I'd paid attention, I might have put a comment in about the characterization of men that was made, but I'd still have recced the comment.

At least half the future I've been expecting hasn't gotten here yet. Sigh.... (Yes, there's gender bias in my name; no, I wasn't thinking about it when I signed up. My apologies.)

by serendipityisabitch on Mon Jun 17, 2013 at 03:39:57 PM PDT

•  Really, classifying all men as rapists. (3+ / 0-)
      Reepicheep, jeff in nyc, Hamtree

Okay, thanks for your... opinion of men.

One wonders just exactly how vile the "second half" of a comment would have to be before it earns your HR or at least loses your support.

I don't wonder enough to ask you to answer, though, please, I've heard enough of your opinions already, and the others who rec'd up that vile piece of shit.

"It puts the lotion on its skin, or it gets the GOP again." - The Democratic Party

by Rick Aucoin on Mon Jun 17, 2013 at 03:44:42 PM PDT

•  My opinion about men? Mostly I like 'em a whole (1+ / 0-)
        mamamorgaine

lot.  On the other hand, I've never been subjected to any major amount of sexual pressure. Being 6'2" and around 190# at the age of 13 may have had something to do with that.

That doesn't mean I don't know women who are, simply, afraid of men in general. The "all men are potentially rapists" theme is one of the backlash positions to "all women are sluts". If you are raised to be afraid of men, it's a hard position from which to find countering data.

What I hear you saying is that any woman who holds that position or accepts that it seems valid to some other women, is beneath your contempt. I'm very sorry to hear that.

by serendipityisabitch on Mon Jun 17, 2013 at 04:04:45 PM PDT

•  No, the comment said... (6+ / 0-)

... flat out, no equivocation, that all men are potential rapists.

And that's fucking bullshit.

by Rick Aucoin on Mon Jun 17, 2013 at 05:59:58 PM PDT

•  women must view all men as potential rapists (0+ / 0-)

if they want to avoid being raped.  And under the right circumstances most men would rape.  For example, in war, that's statistically factual.  It's called a war phenomenon.  Maybe not a woman of their class.

"oh no, not four more years of hope and change?" Karl Christian Rove

by anna shane on Mon Jun 17, 2013 at 09:15:01 PM PDT

•  Yeah, fuck that. (1+ / 0-)
              Hamtree

And for fucking SHAME on you for even saying it, much less BELIEVING such a thing and spreading around such vile fucking lies.

For fucking shame.

by Rick Aucoin on Mon Jun 17, 2013 at 09:54:07 PM PDT

•  so, anna you think that (0+ / 0-)

women can avoid being raped it they view all men as potential rapists?

Wow, you are wed to the idea that all men are potential rapists.

In war there is one big difference; rape is a tool to break down the opposing population. It is done for the purpose of humiliation and to destroy relationships in the resident opposing populations.

Many men who get caught up in the war time gang rapes suffer from their own actions after the war.

I'm asking you to believe. Not in my ability to bring about real change in Washington ... *I'm asking you to believe in yours.* Barack Obama

by samddobermann on Mon Jun 17, 2013 at 10:37:46 PM PDT

•  Why "in war there is a big difference?" (0+ / 0-)

Rape isn't a strategic "tool;" it's a war crime, and what in the world is this?

Translation: "Many men get caught up in the war time gang rapes"  None of these guys are personally responsible for their crimes - forces beyond them made them do it.

Translation: "[they] suffer from their own actions after the war" Poor guys.  They are victims too.

No.  If a man chooses to rape another human being they have chosen to commit a vile, violent assault on an innocent, non-combatant, and they are a war criminal.  I don't care if they "feel bad;" the person they violated deserves justice and the rapist deserves jail.

Plutocracy (noun) Greek ploutokratia, from ploutos wealth; 1) government by the wealthy; 2) 21st c. U.S.A.; 3) 22nd c. The World

by bkamr on Tue Jun 18, 2013 at 05:01:36 AM PDT

•  No. Absolutely not (3+ / 0-)
              Richard Lyon, Indexer, Rick Aucoin

As others have pointed out, if that's how you want to proceed through life for your own safety, I won't argue with that. But this woman does not and will not view all men as potential rapists.

Your idea that rape is an issue of opportunity implies that A) rape is about sex and B) men are all savages who cannot control their sexual urges.

That is not true of most men that I know, and I know a LOT of men. I've been drunk and alone with a lot of men. They are my friends for a reason. They're not simple savages that can only think with their dicks.

I understand what you're trying to say here, but I think you're a bit out of your depth and should probably stop talking.

P.S. I am not a crackpot.

by BoiseBlue on Tue Jun 18, 2013 at 05:34:21 AM PDT