View Diary: Question for Gun Owners: Do you Have a Portable Defibrillator in Your House? (206 comments)

•  How so? (3+ / 0-)
    theatre goon, FrankRose, ER Doc

FBI and CDC statistics show that the vast majority of gun violence, including suicides are committed with handguns using less than a handful of rounds.  Additionally, most gun accidents occur with handguns.  Sure the AR15 might get the attention because of recent mass murders, but the handgun, including revolvers, cause far more gun injuries and deaths.

"I'm a progressive man and I like progressive people" Peter Tosh

by Texas Lefty on Tue Jun 18, 2013 at 02:18:51 PM PDT

•  Yes, Guns are a very large problem. (5+ / 0-)

I agree with you that the problem of gun violence is very large in America, and ideally Americans should be disarmed to achieve an absolute solution to the pointless carnage.  But the mass shootings are, in my opinion, the most heinous example of the irresponsibility of gun ownership in America.  This problem (as well as drive-by shootings and such) would be much alleviated if we were to abide by Mr. Clemens gun sensibilities.  Obviously, cowardly gun owners would still be able to shoot themselves, family members, and neighbors with a revolver.  Hence the statement:

Lots of these gun issues would be solved.
      But I agree with you that all gun ownership poses a certain risk, is problematic, and should be addressed.

"Goodnight, thank you, and may your God go with you"

by TheFern on Tue Jun 18, 2013 at 03:11:16 PM PDT

•  Mass shooting are statistically rare events, and (1+ / 0-)
        FrankRose

I think that 9/11 amply demonstrated the folly of legislating based on rare but high profile incidents.

I worry more about dying from bad ground beef than I do about being killed in a mass shooting incident, and that's in spite of the fact that we had one in my hometown.

You'd do better to attack gun violence in general than to focus on mass shootings.  Of course, if you attack gun violence in an intellectually honest way, you'll have to concede the fact that the vast majority of murders (committed with and without firearms) are criminal on criminal, and those are likely to occur regardless of what gun laws you pass.

Focus on the underpinnings of crime, namely poverty and the war on drugs, not the symptoms thereof.  Mayor Bloomtard ought to be using his billions to fund scholarships for inner city kids, it would be infinitely more effective at saving lives than his doomed political lobbying.  As if he's going to defeat someone like Mark Pryor in a state like Arkansas because he's too pro gun.  Best of luck with that...

There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap box, ballot box, jury box and ammo box. Use in that order.

by Crookshanks on Wed Jun 19, 2013 at 05:56:17 AM PDT

•  Had to pull my rec on this comment. (1+ / 0-)
          KVoimakas

I agree with every point you made here, but using the term "-tard" in any context has been ruled unacceptable here.

I've seen in HRed, and, even, responded to with administrative actions.

Yes, I often dress as a pirate. Your point?

by theatre goon on Wed Jun 19, 2013 at 07:14:46 AM PDT

•  really? (1+ / 0-)
            FrankRose

That's my bad then. :(

Still believe in the underlying point though, he ought to be putting those billions towards more productive pursuits.  Sending a single inner city kid to college would accomplish far more than MAIG ever will, never mind funding the number of scholarships he could with the millions he has wasted on MAIG's obnoxious lobbying efforts.

Maybe he's shooting for an economic stimulus of the suffering TV advertising industry or some such.  That's about the extent of what he's going to accomplish.

by Crookshanks on Wed Jun 19, 2013 at 09:34:31 AM PDT

•  Yeah, that's the ruling. (0+ / 0-)

I agreed with everything you posted, except for that one bit of word usage.  It'll get you in trouble around here.  I'd link you to the official ruling if I had it, but I have seen enough flak generated over it to know it's official.

Bloomberg is doing exactly what most people here rail about others doing (and, often, rail against him doing when it comes to other issues), but since his stance agrees with theirs on this one issue, they're willing to overlook it.

Hypocrisy is alive and well at the GOS.

Yes, I often dress as a pirate. Your point?

by theatre goon on Wed Jun 19, 2013 at 12:07:11 PM PDT