View Diary: I fell in Love, I was betrayed, and now... (34 comments)

•  What if Monsanto bought everything? (4+ / 0-)
    slowbutsure, avsp, Mr Horrible, pdxteacher

What would Mothra do?

by dov12348 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 at 11:13:46 AM PDT

•   I would start making many more things from scratc (6+ / 0-)

I'm already making the most amazing fermented vegetables. I've never tasted anything like them, and my friends are clamoring for them. Catchup is actually really easy.

one 6-ounce can tomato paste
      1/2 cup Maple syrup
      1/2 cup white vinegar
      1/4 cup water
      1 tablespoon sugar
      1 teaspoon salt
      1 teaspoon onion chopped fine
      1 teaspoon garlic pressed

cook all ingredients together for about 20 min. adjust the recipe to suit your tastes.

Focus on the love! The Republicans can keep the disco.

by Mr Horrible on Tue Jun 18, 2013 at 11:20:41 AM PDT

•  If I may, having spent a long time (4+ / 0-)

Working to approximate the flavor of commercially available ketchup, the spices I found helpful were star anise, cloves, and the tiniest whisper of allspice, all to mood and taste and intuition.

I make everything possible from scratch.  It's changed me. I do think you'll be better for it. But you may find yourself in the midst of strange internal ethical struggles. I recently had a large wedding cupcake order and it became apparent given the forecasted outdoor temperature, that I was going have to use a percentage of a certain shortening in my otherwise all natural buttercream in order to avoid melting disaster. That meant a trip to an average grocery store. Strange places. I wandered around in a daze looking at all the nonfood and their non food ingredients.  What really got me was the horrible (pardon me, Mr.Horrible) smell in the...manufactured bread product aisle. I realized it must be the preservatives, necessary to allow the product its ridiculously long shelf-life. Oh my bride was thrilled with her beautiful, stiff buttercream. And I've got a can of vegetable shortening in my pantry and the knowledge that apparently I have a price.  My telling is cathartic yes, but you too, may find a warning. Do NOT let it stop you. If I may be of help in your quest...

I've appreciated your writings Mr. Horrible. Do you know Sandor Katz and his book/blog wildfermentation.com? A whole, rich world lives there.

Something there is that doesn't love a wall, That wants it down. --Robert Frost

by NinthElegy on Tue Jun 18, 2013 at 01:55:52 PM PDT

•   I do know that wonderful book. (2+ / 0-)
          NinthElegy, pdxteacher

It's the one that started me off. Just this month I made:

1–sour carrots. They were incredible.

2– Curtido-a mix of different kinds of vegetables, fermented for about 5 days. Wonderful.

3– catchup. The jury's still out on that one. I think it needs more pourability, as well as more sweetness. I'm going to take your advice on the spices.

4–I've got a crock of sour beets that should be ready in about 3 days. I cases in today, and they're already in credibly good.

It's interesting to walk around regular markets and feel amazed at what people will eat.

Oh, and thank you for appreciating my writings. I don't post regularly, but when I do, I have fun. Most of the time.

Focus on the love! The Republicans can keep the disco.

by Mr Horrible on Tue Jun 18, 2013 at 03:47:24 PM PDT

•  Then everything would be evil? (3+ / 0-)
      dov12348, avsp, Mr Horrible

Would Mothra cry?

...Son, those Elephants always look out for themselves. If you happen to get a crumb or two from their policies, it's a complete coincidence. -Malharden's Dad

by slowbutsure on Tue Jun 18, 2013 at 11:24:47 AM PDT

•  Monsanto didn't buy Heinz - it was Buffet (0+ / 0-)

"let's talk about that"

by VClib on Tue Jun 18, 2013 at 03:29:41 PM PDT

•  They won't have to. All they need to do is (1+ / 0-)
      dov12348

keep putting genetically engineered organisms into the environment.  Soon, via inter-organism gene swapping, every living thing will contain one or more patented Monsanto genes.  Then, through the magic of patent law,  Monsanto can claim to own all living things!

You can tell Monopoly is an old game because there's a luxury tax and rich people can go to jail.

by Simian on Tue Jun 18, 2013 at 06:42:28 PM PDT

• Health Care (21)
  • Rescued (21)
  • Barack Obama (20)
  • Republicans (19)
  • International (18)
  • Freddie Gray (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site