View Diary: Abbreviated Pundit Round-up: GOP's Latino problem, their IRS problem, and more (174 comments)

•  Hey Greg -- not apropos to any specific story, but (2+ / 0-)
    Greg Dworkin, TerryDarc

I saw this great quote in a story on the Brazilian protests:

So for them, he said, the Workers Party, in power for a decade and tracing its roots back to social and union movements, "is an institutionalized conservative party."
    I read a lot of crowing around here about stupid Republicans (well justified of late) and demographic trends and dreams of a Democrats forever, including an invincible HRC.

But how long can you keep that up when things are bad and you're the establishment?

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Sat Jun 22, 2013 at 07:17:03 AM PDT

•  you can't unless (0+ / 0-)

you are perceived as working to make things better.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

by Greg Dworkin on Sat Jun 22, 2013 at 07:19:04 AM PDT

•  A funny thing about the article... (0+ / 0-)

(Here's the url:

Is that the Party in Power apparently has done a lot to make things better, but have a combo of

1. Slow economy, and
        2. What have you done for me lately, especially among young people who don't have first-hand experience with things at their worst.

As things go on, you've got to deliver the goods.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Sat Jun 22, 2013 at 07:22:40 AM PDT

•  Doesn't "Power corrupts" work into this (0+ / 0-)

I honestly was shocked by the size of the Brazilian protest but if a worker's party is in power for 10 years, what kind of edge do they maintain. Parenthetically, this is a shocking omission by the MSM to cover the story or even hint at it and Brazil is the 5th most populous country on earth! Where has our attention been?

Kind of what I think the Dems are becoming/would do if the Repubs continue to dwindle (as expected on this board).

Won't the Dems become another PRI (Mexico's longtime party in power until fairly recently). Just mouth the words about support for common people, a fig leaf of rhetoric and let 'em eat cake?

"Perceived as working to make things better"?
          We prefer results.

What stronger breast-plate than a heart untainted! Thrice is he arm'd, that hath his quarrel just; And he but naked, though lock'd up in steel, Whose conscience with injustice is corrupted. King Henry, scene ii

by TerryDarc on Sat Jun 22, 2013 at 09:46:10 AM PDT

•  C'mon TerryDarc, you aren't leaving any room (0+ / 0-)

for disagreement and snark (snuck a rhyme just in time).

We seem to have about a two term's worth of patience for either party.  Reagan to Bush remains the only time that the same party has held the White House for 3 consecutive terms since FDR, and that may have been the exception that proves the rule.  Reagan was enormously popular, and Michael Dukakis might have been the Mitt Romney of his day (not to mention "Anybody but Jesse!").

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Sat Jun 22, 2013 at 10:44:23 AM PDT

•  Ohh! (0+ / 0-)

Sorry if I stepped on your treads, Dino.  I was in CA when Ronnie-babe, as we called him, for 8 interminable years and THEN went on to US President for 8 more. How long, oh Lord, how long?

I had 4 opportunities to vote for that prick and did not. He was a wall-to-wall disaster.

Same with GWB except I was not there in TX to vote against him. But Bush made Reagan look like the kindly old man that the majority of the US apparently thought of R-babe. Reagan was a genius by comparison. I think it was the religious patina that Bush has.

Dukakis was the worst candidate until Mitt, IMO.

by TerryDarc on Sat Jun 22, 2013 at 10:57:25 AM PDT

•  I had two opportunities not to vote for Reagan (0+ / 0-)

and took them both.

After Dukakis, I'm still amazed that party leaders have the nerve to get behind "more electable" candidates.  Democrats ran away from Jesse Jackson in 1988 and Howard Dean in 2004.  Doesn't seem to have worked out in either case.

Frankly, if you're going to lose, it seems like you're better off losing with somebody who excites a few people.  There's always another election around the corner.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Sat Jun 22, 2013 at 11:02:47 AM PDT

•  Look at the herd of R candidates in 2012! (1+ / 0-)
                  dinotrac

Of the lot, I think only Ron Paul and Jon Huntsman qualify as sane but you saw how far the former got. Mitt was like a Frankenstein creature created by the Dems to fail.

by TerryDarc on Sat Jun 22, 2013 at 11:14:01 AM PDT

•  I always thought he was a gift to the Democratic (1+ / 0-)
                    TerryDarc

party.  With enough tinfoil on my head, I can believe he was pre-arranged payback for Kerry in 2004.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Sat Jun 22, 2013 at 11:21:29 AM PDT