View Diary: The last time someone built a really big wall to keep unwanted people out... (35 comments)

•  But that is the cruel joke (11+ / 0-)

we aren't building a great wall.

We are putting a very expensive kabuki theatre meets great and grand psychic diaper on tens of millions of resentful and scared white people whose first instinct is to shit themselves and piss their pants when things change. People who associate somebody being a different color, or speaking a different language, or worshiping a different God, with the end of days.

Or with being given free shit, free shit that should be theirs by right, proxy, and divine providence of their being white in America.

This the Great Diaper of White America, not any Great Wall of Mexico.

Not that people aren't going to die, or be hurt, they are.

Every now and then, people are going to be injured or even die, women, children, and the elderly, for a fucking show. Not because they got shot, but because they will drown in rivers with absurd metal constructs that trap people in sweeping currents and die of thirst in the sand penned in away from water or shelter from the sun.

The Drug Lords will dig multi-million dollar tunnels, with air conditioning and rails for transport carts, from border towns there to border towns here.

We are building a Potemkin Village of a Wall.

Where thousands of men will drive around in gleaming new white SUVs, when they aren't riding in gleaming glorified golf-carts made by companies like Polaris, when they aren't marching around in the middle of nowhere, armed to the teeth, with nothing to do.

We live in a rich and powerful nation full of scared and resentful people.

Who are so fucking resentful they will let poor people starve, but so paranoid they will spend billions on tactics that can be defeated with a shovel, a ladder, or a row boat.

I am a Loco-Foco. I am from the Elizabeth Warren wing of the Democratic Party.

by LeftHandedMan on Sat Jun 22, 2013 at 11:17:49 AM PDT

•  I'm a white man (11+ / 0-)

and the older I get, the more liberal and the more radical I get, because the angry resentful white man, with his Supply-side Jesus and his seething hatred for the Other, is the stupidest man you are ever going to meet.

I'm fucking humiliated and embarrassed to be White sometimes when I leave the company of wingnuts on the verge of despair and strangling somebody in my anger.

I, for one, look forward to the dawn of the Age of the Person of Color in the Majority. I long for it. Crave it.

Because the great tyranny of the resentful and the stupid, of those who look like me but who, somehow, bought into the self-defeating suicide of worshiping the wealthy as if it is a Safety Net, ending will be one of the greatest days that this nation has ever known.

I am a Loco-Foco. I am from the Elizabeth Warren wing of the Democratic Party.

by LeftHandedMan on Sat Jun 22, 2013 at 11:24:56 AM PDT

•  I am a 60ish white (hate the label) woman (6+ / 0-)

and I agree with you.

Now, about that left-handedness... ;)

•  Now I'm *really* curious (1+ / 0-)
          howabout

Do you hate all labels based on skin color, or just white? Should we call ourselves European-American or Euro-American instead, or something else?

Please visit: http://www.jkmediasource.org

by Noisy Democrat on Sat Jun 22, 2013 at 12:14:03 PM PDT

•  I would call myself a human. (1+ / 0-)
            Just Bob

I guess I should have said that I dislike being defined so narrowly or someone else choosing the definition of me.

I also defy the concept of 'race' if that is what is meant by the label.

I realize that labels are useful, for example, in affirmative action or leading us to understanding who is doing what to who (I'm looking at Republicans here) but I just wish it was not necessary.

Thank you for asking me to clarify.

•  I am mixed race and I call myself (0+ / 0-)

Native American and Euro American. so yes, I think that is an apt title. I think only Native Americans really have the right to be seen as plain Americans. And speaking of which. Most of those Mexicans they want to keep out are native north Americans. They did not kill of most of my Native American ancestors just to let a bunch more come up from Mexico did they?

That passed by; this can, too. - Deor

by stevie avebury on Sat Jun 22, 2013 at 04:35:41 PM PDT

•  Could you be more specific? (0+ / 0-)

I'm curious as to which cultural values you think will be more prevalent once white people are no longer a majority. For instance, I don't know much about the general views of the people who are immigrating from Latin America. Do you envision that they'll help support the best of the vision our country was founded on -- the Constitution, freedom, equality, etc. -- and help reduce the influence of those who would sell our country out?

Please visit: http://www.jkmediasource.org

by Noisy Democrat on Sat Jun 22, 2013 at 12:06:43 PM PDT

•  People are pretty much the same (1+ / 0-)
          Pinto Pony

anywhere you go.

•  If that's true, why look forward to having a (0+ / 0-)

non-white majority? What difference would it make?

And if people are the same anywhere, why do other countries have such different forms of government and different ideas about good government? For example, much of the Muslim world is currently fighting over whether or not to be ruled by theocracy (and which sect of Islam will end up running the theocracy). We have crazy theocrats in this country too, but they enjoy much less support than do the Islamists in their countries. I believe it's because of our history and the way our expectations and values have been shaped by our social institutions and our culture. Do you think that things like that make no difference?

Please visit: http://www.jkmediasource.org

by Noisy Democrat on Sat Jun 22, 2013 at 12:24:16 PM PDT

•  I think people move toward what (1+ / 0-)
              Noisy Democrat

they like. IOW, if I am trying to get away from something, I'd look into where my values and goals are more represented. I don't think people migrate with the intention of changing the place they are migrating to, they'd rather find the best fit.

•  Ah. That makes sense. But there are exceptions. (0+ / 0-)

I bet you're right most of the time. But there are exceptions. Europeans came to North America with the intention of changing the place they were migrating to, not fitting in with the locals; we saw how that turned out. And of course Christian missionaries have gone all over with the intention of changing the religions and cultures of the locals.

It's happening in reverse, too. Right now there are Islamist groups in the UK and Europe that say outright that they are there to re-shape those societies into Islamic societies. (I know, it sounds absurd, but in Brussels already the Islam Party has  been winning seats in municipal elections on the platform of implementing sharia in Belgium or establishing an Islamic emirate in Brussels. The Belgian Parliament is now arguing over whether pro-sharia elected officials can be legally stopped from carrying out such plans.) In the UK, they hold demonstrations carrying signs saying "Democracy Go To Hell" and "Sharia is the Future."

Even in the US, the Muslim Brotherhood's Memorandum of Understanding says that their goal here is "eliminating and destroying the Western civilization from within and 'sabotaging' its miserable house by their hands ... so that ... God's religion [Islam] is made victorious over all other religions."  So we have "missionaries" who are here to spread Islam and make sharia the supreme law of the land. I don't know what their chances of success are, or what percentage of the Muslim community identifies with their goals. But those who are here for that purpose don't have the same values as those of us who prefer to live under man-made laws, i.e. the Constitution.

Please visit: http://www.jkmediasource.org

by Noisy Democrat on Sat Jun 22, 2013 at 12:53:38 PM PDT

•  The Dominionists are already here too...... (0+ / 0-)

I am not sure what the answer is. I don't do religion. It's a big problem.

•  My point was just that some people *do* (0+ / 0-)

emigrate because they want to "improve" the place they're emigrating to. The locals may or may not see it as an improvement.

I would also imagine that some people emigrate without particularly caring about local cultural values or norms. For example, someone could move to a country just to find work, without giving any thought to whether they're in favor of freedom of speech, freedom of religion, and other principles of the host country's Constitution. They might very well turn out to wholeheartedly embrace and support such things once they find out about them -- or they might not. I don't know much about what we can expect from the people who will be getting amnesty and becoming citizens, but other people probably know more. That was why I was wondering about the expectations of people who are in favor of less-restrictive immigration laws or looking forward to the future non-white majority.

Please visit: http://www.jkmediasource.org

by Noisy Democrat on Sat Jun 22, 2013 at 01:27:28 PM PDT

•  Sure, but it's so expensive to live in Hawaii n/t (1+ / 0-)
                WheninRome

Others have simply gotten old. I prefer to think I've been tempered by time.

by Just Bob on Sat Jun 22, 2013 at 01:34:59 PM PDT

•  Creole, a mixture of this and that. (0+ / 0-)

In some parts of the US, this is not uncommon, thinking of the large number of people who count Native Americans somewhere in the family tree, and such, in other variations without producing the one drop of 'that' blood conversation.

•  I'm a Heniz 57 (0+ / 0-)

I could pass for white, but I'm a fine genetic brew of Native American/Black/Scottish/and those pesky Vikings.  Plus a pinch of this and that I'm sure.  Thank God my forefathers (and mothers) were color blind.  I bet there are lots more of my genetic mixture from the "Old South".

Don’t argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.—Greg King

by Pinto Pony on Sat Jun 22, 2013 at 12:55:54 PM PDT

•  They all think they will win the lottery and (0+ / 0-)

become part of the 1%.  They don't realize that being poor white is the same as being poor black, etc  (you name the minority).  They are all in the same boat.  To admit it would destroy their world.

•  And it isn't a wall when the longest part of the (0+ / 0-)

lad border isn't covered, only the part with the white racists afraid of Latinos in particular running it. Canada is also a place where one can get to the US from, and none of that is covered, and not an unheard of way for those coming for terrorist purposes to get in, just not Latino terrorists.. And no proposal is made for the 'wall' which would need to be put in the Caribbean to prevent another Mariel.

•  What about the border to Canada? Didn't some (0+ / 0-)

of the so called 911 terrorists come through Canada?  at a lot of places in the Canadian border you can just walk across?  And what about the east and west coast?

At least the Great Wall was some beautiful architecture.